• Piggyback

Dress Code  

Photographed in Brooklyn, NY

Noteworthy: Saturdays Surf NYC crew neck sweatshirt. While many sportswear brands churn out fleece, few are doing it really well. I'm a big fan of Saturdays' fleece line. Their 100% cotton sweatshirts are perfect layering pieces, boast thick ribbing with substantial elasticity, and provide a good value at just under $100. Size down for a slimmer fit (I went down from a medium to a small).

Rig
    Ray Ban teardrop Aviator
    • Rugby linen/silk/wool herringbone blazer
    • Rugby oxford cloth button down shirt
    • Saturdays Surf NYC cotton sweatshirt
    • Ralph Lauren wool O-ring plaid belt
    • J. Press York St. khakis

Sep 6, 2013 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/15/2013 at 9:12 AM:

@A Tirazona—The only place you are going to find Rugby is on eBay.

A Tirazona left a comment on 10/15/2013 at 12:07 AM:

RIP RRL - FE: any spots out east still have Rugby on the shelves? Or is it a secret?

Alexander left a comment on 10/11/2013 at 3:50 PM:

Dig that herringbone blazer. You definitely get a lot of (worthy) mileage out of it in your posts.

What are your thoughts on a flipped up blazer collar? Obviously a nice tweak for shoots, but I’m thinking more about the day to day of looking stylish.

Keep up the good work.

Alexander
    @alex_m_ingram / www.abostonblazer.com

PSP left a comment on 10/10/2013 at 8:38 PM:

Soon he will be too big for you to carry.  Enjoy your time together.  I find it goes by too fast.

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 10/10/2013 at 10:09 AM:

Very cool you with your kids Fred. Congratulations on being a cool dad.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/9/2013 at 4:26 PM:

@Farrah—No. If something is gifted courtesy of a company, it is disclosed in the post.

Farrah left a comment on 10/9/2013 at 4:16 PM:

Was the sweatshirt gifted to you?

• Apples to Apples

Miscellany  

"Life starts all over again when it gets crisp in the fall."

—F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

The New York air is crisp again. The cool of autumn rolls in, slow and steady, like an ocean liner. This signals not only a permanent respite from the heat of summer, but that apples are ripe for the picking. Apple picking in New York and New England is an idyllic way to waste a Saturday. With my boys in town for the week, it means the perfect chance to escape the city for the weekend, create some lasting memories, and actually eat apples plucked right off the branch. Just the way Mother Nature intended.

We head up to Masker Orchards just an hour outside of Manhattan with some friends. A haze of fog lingers just above the stunted tree tops. The Hudson Valley morning is overcast, the air still wet from the night before. It quenches whatever thirst we've mustered on the drive up as we breathe it in. Apple donuts (tasty), hot dogs (not even remotely close to tasty), a haunted house, pony rides, and suburbia cover the base of the orchard. We make a beeline to the Red Delicious patch, meandering from tree to tree like pollinating bees. I reach to the sky and come down with a Delicious that swallows my hand. The first bite is crisp, light, and makes that hollow cracking sound.

It's clean. Pure. Crisp. It tastes like life starting all over again.

Sep 4, 2013 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

NJGlenn left a comment on 10/10/2013 at 1:57 PM:

Love Masker Orchard, it’s an annual tradition for my family! And I concur, the hot dogs are atrocious. It’s a couple of months away but if you’re going to be looking for a Christmas Tree, Palmer’s Tree Farm in Bethel, PA is a great place.  And tailgating is encouraged.

Leith left a comment on 10/9/2013 at 12:35 PM:

I am going to go ahead and leave the expected “the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” comment here.  Your sons look exactly like you.

CMQ left a comment on 10/9/2013 at 11:35 AM:

What lucky boys to have a dad who so beautifully photo-documents such moments! A beautifully done post about a much-loved fall tradition.

• September 2013 Playlist

Music & Books  

Listen on Spotify

Sep 2, 2013 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Jacob left a comment on 10/13/2013 at 10:54 PM:

hell ya

Natalie left a comment on 10/6/2013 at 9:28 PM:

Ecstatic to see that you put a song from John Mayer’s new album - he’s my all time favorite singer and i saw him in concert recently! I love lorde as well and pure heroine is awesome.

OMK left a comment on 9/25/2013 at 10:29 AM:

Superb selection. Can’t stop listening to it.

Allie left a comment on 9/23/2013 at 4:26 PM:

Love the playlist! Even better that it’s downloadable!!

-AH

www.thenauticalprepster.blogspot.com

Shaun left a comment on 9/23/2013 at 1:38 PM:

Must be the music that’s turning me on!  Thanks!

KIT left a comment on 9/20/2013 at 2:53 PM:

Uh…how do you play these without Spotify? I do the double-clickie have no files in the folder. Maybe I am too stupin.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/19/2013 at 12:53 PM:

@Meg—I just updated the Spotify playlist to reflect the correct John Mayer song with Frank Ocean.

Meg left a comment on 9/19/2013 at 12:47 PM:

Downloaded the zip file.  First John Mayer track isn’t the same song as on the Spotify playlist for some reason.

Brian left a comment on 9/19/2013 at 12:09 PM:

Fantastic!  Thanks Fred!

Meg left a comment on 9/18/2013 at 5:38 PM:

Stellar.

C.G.D left a comment on 9/18/2013 at 4:13 PM:

Great tunes! Thanks man!

Isabel left a comment on 9/18/2013 at 4:25 AM:

Stoked to see the resurgence of these playlists…they make great study companions!

matt left a comment on 9/17/2013 at 4:26 PM:

thanks again for making it downloadable!  Cant wait to listen to it on my way home.

• Newer Posts