• A Week Amongst Angels

Miscellany  

Los Angeles is a strange place. It has one season—sunny with a high of 75. I like my seasons, plural. Angelenos, well, they love their convertibles and graphic tees. To each his own I suppose. Last week I flew west for a little play and a ton of work. If I’m going to be locked in a steel tube for six hours, I’ll go willing with Virgin every time. Far and away my favorite airline. They just get it.

Upon arrival, I am greeted by L.A.’s very own welcoming committee—the 405. “Stay a while. In fact, just put it in park.” I eventually pull in to my buddy Jory’s place after a start-n-stop reenactment of my driver’s ed test. I love his space. It’s sparse yet feels distinctly lived in. He has this amazing vinyl collection. There might be 80...90...100 records? Enough to make an audiophile produce a single tear. We could go through it for an entire day and never get tired of listening. Jory’s one of the good ones. The good ones let you crash their couch and charge your phone at a moment’s notice.

Before things get crazy, I style and shoot a fashion editorial test with a fresh-faced actor. It’s refreshing. California’s light paints people and places differently, as if The Golden State is the Sun’s favorite child. The rest of the week is an intense blur. Through a series of remarkable events, I read poetry of my own authoring to a girl in front of 53 people (among a slew of other things I never imagined myself doing). I feel alive. Really alive. Picture Knox wooing Chris in front of the whole class in Dead Poets Society and you pretty much have it. It is terrifying and freeing, all at once.

It’s Wednesday and I’m being photographed outside Joan’s on Third for the Japanese menswear magazine Free & Easy (let it be known for the record that I am still nerding out over this). After the broken English exchange, I stumble into Juice Served Here craving a wifi connection. Little do I know I’m on the cusp of experiencing the best juice known to man. It’s raw, organic, and cold pressed. I’m not in L.A. long, yet in this moment “cold pressed” seems to be the only fathomable fashion in which it is socially acceptable to drink juice. After a handful of tastings, I tip the staff off to my penchant for spicy foods and they produce Hot Lei from behind the counter. It has me at “cayenne.” Coconut water, pineapple, lemon, and honey laced with cayenne pepper—the elixir is genius.

As Sunday night disappears into Monday morning, my dear friend Francesca introduces me to Randy’s Donuts. Apparently it’s famous. I don’t know if the donuts are actually better than anyone else’s but their sign certainly is. That has to count for something. The deal is three donuts: split one immediately then save the rest for breakfast. We down the apple fritter and I crawl off the couch to the leftovers the next morning. Somehow they’re even better the next day. Life should be like that.

Oct 18, 2013 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

• Ask the Experts: Bomber Jackets

Style  

I recently sat down with Mr. Porter for their Ask the Experts series to talk about the past and present of our favorite jacket of the season: the bomber. Be sure to check out what Sam Lobban, Chris Sullivan, and Christopher Raeburn have to say as well. I'm honored to be in such good company.

Oct 16, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Al left a comment on 11/20/2013 at 12:12 AM:

Solid work, Fred. Very articulate and informative. I enjoyed your ideas on that pairing of preppy and rugged material/fabric for a classically-inspired, but also modern look.

M Arthur left a comment on 11/19/2013 at 10:22 PM:

A very thoughtful take on the bomber Fred.  You may understandably be honored to be among the other chaps, but you certainly held you own.

Roger C. Russell II left a comment on 11/19/2013 at 8:54 PM:

This was very well done. I’m glad there is a renewed interest in bomber jackets. Also, it is great that sheep and lamb options were mentioned. I think a lot of people miss the true functionality of the jacket if they don’t choose these materials. The cowhide is not authentic military issue, and it can be a bad choice on a cold day.

Bess left a comment on 11/19/2013 at 6:35 PM:

very articulate…i enjoyed this!

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

• Scotch & Chocolate

Food & Drink | Prep Essentials  

The older I get, the more I find respite in life’s simple pleasures. I am a firm believer in enjoying certain indulgences in their due time. A glass of scotch and chocolate is one of these pleasures I find myself relishing as I settle into my thirties. After a long day, there might be nothing better.

A fraternity brother introduced me to The Balvenie® Doublewood Single Malt Scotch Whisky three years ago. I've been winding down to it ever since. The Scottish distillery matures this 12 year old unique single malt in two distinct casks: Traditional whiskey oak and European oak sherry. The result is a complex mellow flavor of significant depth. I take mine on the rocks as I like a touch of water....it helps "open up" the warming layers of vanilla spiciness and honeyed depths. Stick with a 2 x 2 inch cube to minimize dilution (silicone king cube trays can be found at West Elm).

Mast Brothers chocolate is a bar I've only recently stumbled upon. Hand-crafted right here in Brooklyn since 2007, brothers Rick and Michael Mast have developed an artisanal bean-to-bar chocolate factory using only the best cacao in the world. Their intensely flavored chocolate is made only from cacao pods and cane sugar, which may not seem that noteworthy until you read the long ingredients lists on other bars: lecithin, milk solids, palm oil. My favorite is the sea salt bar—a celebration of the sweet and salty with salt from solar houses on the Mystic Coast of Maine enhancing the berry-forward cacao. I don’t hate the rugby striped Italian art-paper wrapper either.

What’s your favorite scotch and/or chocolate?

Oct 14, 2013 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 1/8/2014 at 11:03 AM:

@Jai—Brotherhood of Christian Aggies.

Jai left a comment on 1/8/2014 at 9:37 AM:

Which Fraternity you were in at Texas A&M?

Daniel left a comment on 12/5/2013 at 4:07 PM:

Fred- What fraternity did you join?

Dychi left a comment on 12/5/2013 at 12:10 PM:

Aberlour A’bunadh has been mentioned, but it’s one of my all time favorites. For a peatier, punchier whisky, I like Laphroaig’s Quarter Cask and Ardbeg’s Uigeadail. Recently, I’ve been getting into briny, lightly-smoky whisky, such as some offerings from Talisker, Caol Ila and Bruichladdich. The entry-level offerings from these distilleries are all excellent, and Talisker has a no age statement whisky called Storm that I’ve really taken a liking to.

Happy drinking!

Chad Savage left a comment on 12/3/2013 at 11:22 AM:

balvenie 14 year Carribean cask is great and so is Oban 14 year..

BRB left a comment on 12/2/2013 at 11:44 AM:

I’ve probably tried close to if not over 100 (have the empty bottles and tins/boxes still) single malts over the last 4-5 years or so and we actually had more types of scotch at our wedding reception last year than any other liquor. By far, I think one of the best I’ve had was one from our reception, the Glenmorangie Signet. Not only a beautiful scotch, but the bottle and box also stand out, but at $150-200 a bottle, they better.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/2/2013 at 9:34 AM:

@James—I studied at Texas A&M as well. While there, I rushed my fraternity.

James left a comment on 12/2/2013 at 9:14 AM:

There are fraternities at private Christian universities?

Nic left a comment on 12/2/2013 at 9:05 AM:

I like to use soapstone cubes or a sphere of ice. The latter if you must have ice is the best at minimizing any dilution.

Drew left a comment on 12/2/2013 at 1:26 AM:

I’m no aficionado of chocolate or scotch. If I get a chance to pull on some laphroaig, I’ll jump.
    Drew
    diyvat.com

rjohnson left a comment on 12/2/2013 at 1:20 AM:

I apologize.
    Not Talisker but the Lagavulin 16-year-old Islay Single Malt

rjohnson left a comment on 12/1/2013 at 11:49 PM:

The Cask strength MaCallan is my house scotch.
    The Balvinie Double wood, is beautiful as well.
    A’bunadh whisky from the Aberlour is as well cask strength, a touch of water opens it.
    The 16 year old Islay Talisker is devine… Liquid sex.

Ice (iced red wine? = no) closes the nose and flavor notes. Just a tickle of water (filtered) will do.
    Scotch, like chocolate should be at room temp for best flavor appreciation.
    Cheers.

...only in your 30s?... That’s a lot of scotch to enjoy yet for you then!

Oscar left a comment on 12/1/2013 at 11:58 AM:

I’ve worked in the Food & Beverage industry for most of my 20 years since College graduation, and the cost/benefit equation of aging hits a plateau at 15 for mixed malts, in some cases 12 for single malts, and always will be a question of personal taste, so Macallan 12 hits the sweet spot in my opinion. For Chocolate, if the first ingredient in the wrapper is not chocolate or cocoa butter, then hydrogenated fats are used in lieu of cocoa fat flavored by cocoa powder. More chocolate % does not necessarily mean better chocolate, only a lower melting point. For me its Ragusa, from Camille Bloch. MIND-BLOWING

OMK left a comment on 11/30/2013 at 9:11 PM:

Superb! Try Macallan 12. Better than 18, less expensive. Awesome stuff year round.

chapeau left a comment on 11/30/2013 at 8:01 PM:

Glenmorangie, gorgeous

JeffW left a comment on 11/30/2013 at 6:36 PM:

The Balvenie Carribean cask is also wonderful.

MrFahrenheit left a comment on 11/30/2013 at 4:07 PM:

Try the Aberlour 12. It’s a doublewood as well and more complex than the Balvenie.

• Skirt Along

Dress Code  

Photographed in Boston, MA

Noteworthy: fair isle crewneck sweater, slim leather belt (I like how she wears a longer tip and leaves it casually hanging).

Oct 11, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

George left a comment on 10/25/2013 at 11:12 PM:

California…just doesn’t have this level of, well, anything, really. I’m green with envy of Easties. Appreciate your bounty daily!

Beth left a comment on 10/25/2013 at 2:01 PM:

Reminds me of Skidmore days.

Lauren left a comment on 10/24/2013 at 11:39 AM:

I love that whole outfit!

Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

cam left a comment on 10/24/2013 at 9:16 AM:

Sadie is beautiful

• Nuthin’ but a “G” Thang

Dress Code  

Photographed in Cambridge, MA

Noteworthy: Georgetown captain's sweater (with varsity collar), quilted Barbour jacket, blue suede saddle shoes.

Jack just coxed a boat in the Women's Championship Eights at the Head of the Charles. Not only did he recruit the rowers for the boat (made up of the world's best scullers and pairs) but he won with that crew. His eight had only rowed together twice before the race. They beat out the USA Olympic boat by one second over 5000 meters to take the Governor's Cup and inaugural BNY Mellon Cup. That is practically a photo finish in rowing. Jack is also producing the rowing blazers book I've been photographing.

Oct 9, 2013 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

Gunter left a comment on 10/24/2013 at 7:16 PM:

Love the Brave Gentleman shoes!

Ann W. left a comment on 10/24/2013 at 3:48 PM:

G…This Gorgeous Gentleman is also Gifted, Generous, Genteel, Genuine, Gracious, Global, and an all-around Golden Boy Genius!!  Congrats!!  Miss You, Jack!  :-)

Victoria left a comment on 10/23/2013 at 5:42 PM:

Love the smiling golden!!!

PSP left a comment on 10/23/2013 at 9:34 AM:

True Prep! Excellence with style and a dog as well.

emjkmj left a comment on 10/23/2013 at 8:54 AM:

Fantastic pic.

• Newer Posts Older Posts