• Cocoon

Dress Code  

Photographed in Brooklyn, NY

Noteworthy: stadium-cloth cocoon coat, exploded plaid wool scarf.

Nov 29, 2013 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Caroline | Back Down South left a comment on 12/5/2013 at 10:57 AM:

Flawlessssss

Erica Reyna left a comment on 12/3/2013 at 2:47 PM:

High heels are a stylish woman’s best friend! This one pulls them off well, and adds a fun surprise to the outfit. Nice shot!

• Featured in Free & Easy, January 2014

Miscellany  

While in Los Angeles last month, I was flattered to be asked for my photograph for Free & Easy magazine. There's a street style feature of real guys accompanied by a grip of Japanese text highlighting what (or rather, who) they are wearing. Haven't heard of it? That's because it is a Japanese men's lifestyle magazine serving as an encyclopedia of sorts of what made the 20th Century American male so captivating.

The whole affair is very preppy. And while the peppered English copy-writing and humorous photographs come off as awkwardly endearing at times, this little periodical sits in the design offices of most every American menswear brand. You can pick up copies at a few magazine shops around New York for about $20 a pop.

Nov 27, 2013 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

Commenting is not available in this weblog entry.

• Google’s Winter Wonderlab

Miscellany  

Last night, Kat and I swung by Bryant Park to go ice skating. Before we could lace our skates up, Google's Winter Wonderlab kidnapped our attention spans while we made this clip shot at 400 fps...which means they shot us for approximately one second and stretched it over 17. In two words, SO FUN. Pop in before December 22nd to make your own. You're going to want to bring friends.

Nov 22, 2013 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/25/2013 at 12:56 AM:

@Kat—Oh what could have been if Google hadn’t lost our first take…

Katherine left a comment on 11/25/2013 at 12:40 AM:

You nailed that snow toss…why didn’t I show up for the dance party in this video?

• Born Ready

Music & Books  

The first magazine I ever read on a regular basis was the A&F Quarterly. It was the lifestyle periodical published by Abercrombie & Fitch back in the late 90s. The avant-garde magalog tip-toed the fine line between editorial and catalog content so effortlessly that to my 15 year-old eye, it was cool...unbelievably cool.

Printed on cougar vellum paper (unique for a catalog), the Quarterly felt ambitious. It introduced me to more than just clothes, food, travel, sex, and all the controversy that came along with that. More importantly, it introduced me to the work of photographer Bruce Weber. That introduction in 1997 would serve as a major influence on my photographic development a decade later.

Still, to this day, I love Bruce Weber's photographs. He captures groups like no one else. Loose and yet connected, often with a sense of occasion, shot in that moment between the moment. His new coffee table book, Born Ready, is a collectible volume of essays and images that reveals a very personal and original vision of America today. Weber gets up close and personal with a unique assortment of talented and courageous individuals...and does what he does so beautifully, share a sliver of their story.

Pick up a copy on eBay for your own table well below the Amazon price of $83.80. I also pulled together an eBay collection* of my essential coffee table books for those looking to simply discover new titles or start a collection of their own. Follow me on eBay to check out the rest of my shoppable collections ranging from music to clothes to a few of my favorite things.

*My eBay Collection was created as part of my collaboration with eBay and Style Coalition #FOLLOWFINDIT

Nov 11, 2013 | Permalink (0) View/Leave Comments

Kick off the comments by using the stationery below to pen your thoughts.

• Panting ‘n Sweating

Style  

Okay.
    Fine.

You can wear sweats outside of the gym. But none of that baggy business. They should be cut like your favorite pair of slim-fit chinos—close to the body and slightly tapered toward the ankle. I love the Ken Sweat Pant from Saturdays Surf NYC. The fit is perfect. The attitude is relaxed. The price is reasonable (the frugal preppie in me forbids me from spending over $125 on fleece…I can’t do it, not even in a New York state of mind).

Photographed in Malibu, CA

Saturday's slim silhouette allows you to dress down the essential sportswear piece with a vintage Harrington-style Lacoste and Vans or dress them up with tailored clothing—the heather gray welcomes being mistaken for a gray flannel trouser from afar. Made of a thick 55/45 cotton/polyester blend, the Ken Sweat Pant retains its shape through multiple wearings, boasts thick ribbing at the waistband and ankles, and comes equipped with a back patch pocket (wallets rejoice!). Best of all, you don’t have to sweat the $98 price tag.

Nov 6, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Derek left a comment on 1/27/2014 at 5:31 PM:

Good looking sweatpants…usually an ironic statement in itself! Decent sweats are hard to find. I must say though, for almost $100 the shape would have to last more than “multiple wearings.”

John Smith left a comment on 12/20/2013 at 4:25 PM:

If one was going to wear sweatpants outside the house, thats how you should do it.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/20/2013 at 11:13 AM:

@Brady P—A visit to the tailor, like you mentioned, could be in order if your inseam is less than 30”. Wash and hang dry them first kids!

Brady P left a comment on 12/20/2013 at 11:05 AM:

These sweatpants are amazing! They do run pretty long though, I had a few inches taken off the bottom and now they’re perfect

• Older Posts