well played, RL.

• Booted

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Dec 23, 2009 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 1/23/2010 at 2:20 PM:

She knows how to dress. I love her!

Kate Noelle left a comment on 12/28/2009 at 12:37 PM:

Oh my…I want to be her! She is so cute and I’m in love with her whole outfit!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/25/2009 at 11:47 AM:

Don—I photographed Cassandra in the Meatpacking District. Good luck :)

Don left a comment on 12/25/2009 at 11:36 AM:

Agree completely with toad.  Where was this taken in NYC?  I’m going to hang out on that corner and wait for this girl to pass by again…Happy Holidays!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/25/2009 at 3:03 AM:

Frank—The weekend bag is by Rugby.

frank left a comment on 12/25/2009 at 1:21 AM:

i like that bag.  do you know where its from?

trip left a comment on 12/23/2009 at 12:21 PM:

Mark me down in the category of people who like women in riding boots.  Great photo, once again.

toad left a comment on 12/23/2009 at 11:53 AM:

It’s her smile that raises her outfit to the sublime.

• Save Khaki

Top Drawer | Store Profiles | Prep Essentials  

David Mullen is waiting on me. I slide into the anonymous storefront adjacent to A Salt & Battery on Greenwich Avenue. He’s oxidizing some sheet metal detailing above the doorway by hand. This is how he does things. He loves details...loves working with his hands. In between a soft spoken discourse on the philosophy of fit and the misappropriated media coverage of the injustices unfolding in Darfur, I realize he’s from another generation—a generation that can literally talk shop and life until the sun sets if you hang around long enough. But David is a product guy (“This is what I’m supposed to be doing,” he riffs unpretentiously), so we get back to the pants.

Pull on a pair of his signature khakis and it’s apparent; Save is a product-driven outfit. I could go on about details like the Hollywood waist band and the interior micro-sanding, but all you need to know is it’s the best chino I’ve ever worn. It fits and moves so well; not skinny but slim. His product is a direct reflection of himself—wrinkled, well worn, detail oriented. It’s an exceptional rendition of the beloved prep essential.

David Mullen outside of his Greenwich Avenue store

Photographed in New York, NY

Save Khaki began three years ago on the notion of creating great fitting khakis (and surrounding it with all the product that compliments it) in a world where everyone’s wearing denim. Since Save Khaki’s nomination as “Best New Menswear Designer in America” earlier this year by the CFDA, they’ve opened up three stores on Broome Street, Greenwich Avenue, and Lafayette Street. On the horizon is a collaboration with Pointer brand and the launch of Save Khaki United, a sub-brand by Save Khaki offering only goods made domestically. “Everything is still within our vision of updated classics that are naive to trend; chambray shirts, wool coats, knit sweaters, some selvedge chinos and even a line of denim (no prejudice here).”

*A week before Thanksgiving my apartment building caught fire and I lost a good bit of personal belongings. David sent over a care package of khakis, a couple sport shirts, tees, and a tote bag that arrived at a time when I had hardly any clothes to wear. This is the kind of man David is. This is the man behind the khakis.

Dec 22, 2009 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

mel left a comment on 9/19/2013 at 8:41 PM:

Where can I find that hanging map?

jeff left a comment on 7/22/2010 at 8:04 PM:

where do i apply?

marcus left a comment on 5/20/2010 at 12:16 PM:

Great stuff!

KyleBarnes left a comment on 1/7/2010 at 10:24 AM:

stellar post. perfectly depicted and gorgeous photos definitely makes me want to stop by the next time I’m in the city. Until then, thanks for the preview.

Kate Noelle left a comment on 12/28/2009 at 12:50 PM:

This blog post was probably the best yet… your words were so eloquently put and perfectly accented the awesome antiquity of the shop. I loved it. Way to go. And I’m happy to hear you’re experiencing the wonders of God’s unmatched provision…. may you continue to see miracles. :)

CLD left a comment on 12/23/2009 at 2:47 PM:

Absolutely beautiful.  The piece is great!

The Boss left a comment on 12/23/2009 at 11:22 AM:

I really like David’s whole ensemble in this photo. And, that is rather unfortunate regarding your predicament.  I’m sure David’s hospitality put a smile on your face, though.

Theo Martins left a comment on 12/23/2009 at 11:18 AM:

Brought me out of the wood works, great stuff.

theandydunn left a comment on 12/23/2009 at 3:47 AM:

Hey Fred.  Great post, I’m wondering where I might get a pair of these in the UK?  Will have to e-mail david.

H. left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 8:40 PM:

that place looks amazing.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 6:38 PM:

@Pittboss12—I shoot Canon cameras (5D) and lenses (L series).

pitboss12 left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 6:19 PM:

I don’t always agree with the content of your posts but this one was nice.  One thing I can’t deny is that you have an eye for great images. What kind of photo equipment do you use?

Kym left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 5:41 PM:

Gorgeous. All. Bravo.

• Pretty In Pink

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Dec 21, 2009 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

stephan pockrandt left a comment on 1/28/2010 at 3:47 AM:

Less is more. Perfect!

Mark Bollman left a comment on 1/2/2010 at 7:40 PM:

I just saw your post on Sid Mashburn and loved it.  I actually personally know Sid from atlanta so thats cool.  In addition, I have a preppy lifestyle brand called Ball and Buck (www.ballandbuck.com) and I was wondering if you would be interested in doing an article on our company.  We would be happy to give you a special coupon code for your readers as well as a few shirts for yourself.  Thanks and look forward to speaking with you.

-Mark

stephanie McBride left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 2:38 PM:

He makes that shirt look good:)

© b e e n s w a n k left a comment on 12/22/2009 at 8:16 AM:

Tailored jeans… I never thought of that. Very nice.

The Boss left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 7:08 PM:

F.E. Castleberry—Designer Steven Alan is also accustomed to adding this detail to his shirts. It’s a nice touch, really.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 5:00 PM:

Mark Anthony’s shirt actually has an inverted pleat in the back right down the center…pretty much incredible.

toad left a comment on 12/21/2009 at 4:41 PM:

Very well put together.  I especially love the shirt collar.

• Bean Boots

Prep Essentials  

The duck boot is in vogue again. How can you tell? A slew of outfits from Marc Jacobs to Sears are pushing the boot this season—tweaking their own offerings of the classic, some to catastrophic proportions. For the prep-set, it matters not. We lace up our Bean Boots every year in rain, sleet and snow, regardless of whether or not GQ has given the boots their seasonal blessing. And when the chain-link tread wears smooth, L.L. Bean simply resoles them (approximately $50 including s&h)—allowing for the leather uppers to continually age with you.

Photographed in Fort Worth, TX

L.L. Bean has kept the look of their Bean Boot virtually the same since 1912. That’s part of the charm. It’s the bedrock of this American classic. Although the 10” and 8” boot are shown here, I prefer the 8” boot due to its similar silhouette to a regular boot. (L.L. Bean, $84). Check out how they’re made—still in Maine.

Dec 18, 2009 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

Rodlie left a comment on 12/15/2011 at 10:10 PM:

do you have any pics of how you wear these with pants?

C left a comment on 4/24/2011 at 5:40 PM:

I’ve heard that the men’s bean boots are getting shabbier, i.e. falling apart when brand new.

http://www.muffyaldrich.com/2011/01/dressing-for-new-england-winters.html

Do you think this is a one-off case or that L.L. Bean’s quality control has taken a hit?

Amelia left a comment on 12/6/2010 at 3:28 PM:

I just got a new pair of brown bean boots with the shearling and I’m excited to wear them tomorrow and I was wondering if there’s a special way to lace them and what does everyone else do with their laces because mine seem short.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 1:50 PM:

Dan—The 8” boot sans Thinsulate is still a solid choice to keep your feet warm when paired with wool socks.

Dan left a comment on 11/18/2010 at 12:59 AM:

I would like to get the 8” ones with Thinsulate, however they do not offer them in the brown. are the 8” boots without Thinsulate still a solid choice/keep your feet warm?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 2:13 PM:

@Aaron—The tan is certainly the more traditional boot; however, I have enjoyed the brown immensely.  Both are quite versatile but the tan would transition more easily into spring showers.

Aaron left a comment on 10/28/2010 at 1:59 PM:

Hi Fred. I am about to get a pair of duck boots. I’m on the fence between the brown ones or the tan ones. What do you suggest is more versatile?

Abdullah left a comment on 1/16/2010 at 8:43 AM:

These have been my go to boots for years. The originals and still the best. I like the mocs too.

James left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 10:18 PM:

I bought my first pair this month.  I’ve experienced rain and now I look forward to the first snow…Saturday, here I come!!

Memphis88 left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 6:26 PM:

They are slippery on ice but I do love mine. They are great overall.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 2:08 PM:

L.A.S—You are welcome friend. It was my pleasure.

Kidelo—The chainlink tread has proven effective in my experience. Were you on ice perhaps?

Mike—Just put the boots without Thinsulate or shearling on your Christmas wish list. I know it rains in Atlanta…Bean Boots would be a good excuse to keep your feet dry.

Toad—Yes, they will repair…up to four times I believe (as long as they are able to do so without compromising the quality of the boot).

Toad left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 11:35 AM:

Somehow these have always felt just right.  I wasn’t aware bean would repair them though.  Thanks for the tip.

Mike Hall left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 11:34 AM:

I’ve always wanted a pair of these. You’ve inspired me to add these to my Christmas wish-list. Now to just find some colder weather than we have in Atlanta to make good use of them!

Kidelo left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 11:32 AM:

Almost bought a pair of these a few weeks ago…until I remembered the winter I spent wearing them. I spent 75% of the time in the snow on my ass.

Sunday Ibok left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 10:53 AM:

I’m totally wearing my L.L. Beans today to keep the New York artic chill out. Just ducking along.

L.A.S left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 10:53 AM:

This looks strangely familiar, Hahaha. Thanks again for helping me out Fred.

Matthew left a comment on 12/18/2009 at 10:26 AM:

Great video.  Those boots are amazing, and perfect for the end of the winter and Canadian springs.  Great blog.

• Newer Posts Older Posts