• Patsy Pulitzer

Style  

Patsy Pulitzer shows how elegant blonde and cashmere can be. It is as timeless today as it was 55 years ago.

Image via Slim Aarons

Mar 31, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

JMH left a comment on 4/2/2010 at 8:04 PM:

Thanks Fred!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 1:10 PM:

JMH—Traditionally, you broke out the whites between Memorial Day and Labor Day.  I feel seersucker and whites have more to do with an aura than a certain day.  Once spring kicks in and it’s 75 degrees outside, feel free to break out the whites before Memorial Day.  Hold off until summer for the seersucker though.

meg left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 12:28 PM:

love anything pulitzer.  liza went to my high school.

JMH left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 9:12 AM:

This picture reminds me of spring’s imminence (in the NE) and brings to mind a debate I have been having with some friends from Georgia.  What is the correct day to bring out the whites and the seersucker?  Is it Easter or Memorial Day?  Can you help me out Fred?

Caron left a comment on 3/31/2010 at 8:19 PM:

Timeless and stunning.  I forwarded this to a young woman who is Patsy circa 2010.  However, that sweater is definitely knit from Shetland wool.  Not something we see much of nowadays….

K. Nights left a comment on 3/31/2010 at 7:25 PM:

She is really beautiful.
    This is off topic, but do Rugby oxfords have a locker loop? I really like those.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/31/2010 at 6:09 PM:

She’s beautiful and elegant. I like how that sweater looks on her.

• Blue Blood

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Mar 30, 2010 | Permalink (22) View/Leave Comments

TinsleyT left a comment on 4/30/2010 at 11:05 AM:

Where do you get those shoes?

gioforeal left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 11:27 PM:

Oh,she look dope…I’d compliment her till she blushed if I ever met her.

Rhonda left a comment on 3/31/2010 at 3:06 PM:

Does she not have PERFECT hair?!?!  Wow.  I love the outfit.

J Hall-Luper left a comment on 3/31/2010 at 2:16 AM:

I spy a birkin. *Sigh*

Robin left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 10:46 PM:

Everything is wonderful. She’s very photogenic and I’m jealous of her hair.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 9:16 PM:

Karoline & Sophie—Her shoes are Aldo and blazer is by Rugby.

Kev left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 8:59 PM:

beautiful hair

Karoline left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 8:30 PM:

LOVE this look.  Where can I get the shoes?

heatherlovesit left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 8:13 PM:

i think she looks lovely.

Michael B. left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 8:10 PM:

Let the woman wear her ripped jeans! I like it, they giver her a bit of an edge. Just imagine how boring she would look if the rips hadn’t been there.

sophie left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 7:51 PM:

where can i get her shoes and blazer??

Michael left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 5:06 PM:

Love her hair, Love her Blazer, Love her shoes

pat furey left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 5:06 PM:

when you’re that good looking, clothing matters much less. when you’re pretty and get it right? epic.

diggin’ the shoes the most. just picked up a similar pair for men from cole haan on sale for $75.

Connetiquette left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 4:18 PM:

I want her fabulous hair

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 3:33 PM:

I think she looks adorable. I’m a fan of the destroyed denim, having a pair I’m addicted to myself. The overall blue and reddish color palette of the photo is lovely.

The Boss left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 2:46 PM:

Forget her clothes. What is important here is her gorgeous locks—damn.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 12:25 PM:

Everything’s perfect except for the jeans, but that’s just me.

bunny left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 12:19 PM:

she looks so pulled together - the bag, the jacket the shirt. i actually like the jeans. really great hair too.

MBR left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 12:18 PM:

spotted on the steps of the met!
    the whole appeal of the outfit is twisting the classic blazer, and fun mens-inspired shoe with the denim. i love the look, this is how i wear it too. great photo!

paige left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 12:13 PM:

love those shoes. and jacket. just the whole outfit. i soooo want those shoes….

Robdarko left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 9:57 AM:

I totally agree with you, CLG23.  Very fetching but the jeans deter from an otherwise polished look.

CLG23 left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 9:34 AM:

My first thought of this picture was “awww”, I dont know why. But she is well put together. I’d just rather her wear non ripped jeans, though the rips are minimal. Nice footwear choice also!

• Madras

Style | Miscellany  

If there is one fabric that is quintessentially Preppy, it’s Madras. True Madras, of course (patchwork madras screams go-to-hell even louder). The real thing is one of the oldest fabrics in the cotton trade, a fine, hand-loomed cotton that is imported from Madras, India. If you go looking for it on a map, it’s name to has been changed to Chennai. Interestingly enough, what sets true madras apart from imitations is that it “bleeds”; the murky colors-navy blue, maroon, mustard yellow-of its distinctive plaids are imparted by vegetable dyes that are guaranteed to run.

Photographed in Wailuku, HI

Since the colors are unstable at best, madras has to be treated very carefully. Shirts, shorts, and items that aren’t going to be dry-cleaned must be soaked in cold salt water for at least twenty-four hours before they’re washed for the first time. This sets the dyes. Then they should really be washed separately for months thereafter, because the colors will still run. Old madras takes on a lovely soft look and feel with many washings (the crux of the fabric’s appeal to Preps), though jackets, which are dry-cleaned, of course, maintain that sharp plaid.

I began proselytizing the shorter inseam last summer. A recent sneak peek of Rugby's S/S 2011 collection only confirms the return of rising inseams (it also grants the appearance of additional height). These boast 5"—thanks to my tailor, Nam. When your oxford cloth boxers occasionally peek out, you've hit the sweet spot.

Mar 29, 2010 | Permalink (33) View/Leave Comments

BUD left a comment on 7/21/2011 at 12:10 AM:

This article is bang on target…..madras is what it takes to be preppy….nothing says it like a soft tone madras , with crisp shorts, while playing golf or just hanging out at the beach.
    Madras plaids are still made in India, and the authentic stuff comes from there and there alone….not from China, though they might have learnt how to make it too (not surprising).
    I find my madras at: http://store.fabrics-textiles.com .They say they have the widest selection of madras and patchwork plaids.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/7/2010 at 9:26 AM:

@Drew—My glasses are Total Wits by Eye Bobs.

Drew Poling left a comment on 4/15/2010 at 3:49 PM:

Fred—great look.  Takes me back to the way we dressed in boarding school ca. 1979-82.

Tell us, please: what make/model are your awesome glasses?

Chznone left a comment on 4/5/2010 at 5:30 PM:

If I had legs as great as yours, I’d shorten all my shorts as well. Love the Madras, Love the tennis shoes, and Love Love Love the blog….you have a fan in me

mjl left a comment on 4/5/2010 at 8:52 AM:

also, being a lifelong soccer player myself, i wish i had known about sambas coming in white.  its a well known fact, even outside the prep world, that white shoes make you look faster than the standard black ones.  not that i’d play any better with white kicks, i’d at least look a bit quicker.  anyone know if they make white Copas, too?

Max left a comment on 4/5/2010 at 1:26 AM:

Great job.  Looking effortless and comfortable- not too put together. Just perfect.

anthony left a comment on 4/4/2010 at 3:12 PM:

i like what fred’s got going on here. this relaxed look is perfect for the summer and doesn’t require a lot of effort while still maintaining a fun attitude. i especially like the color choices and the way they interact with the hawaiian foliage (along w/ the cool pickup truck in the background).

Ryan left a comment on 4/3/2010 at 7:07 PM:

While I might find the shorts in this post a bit short for my taste that is neither here nor there; they’re fantastic madras shorts.

Keep up the good work.

rhonda left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 4:52 PM:

Love it! Classic.

James left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 4:21 PM:

I personally don’t like shorts that short (I’m a ‘just above the knee’ kinda guy + I’m 5’11) but the length on him hits the spot.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 3:53 PM:

Sambas are shoes I’ve worn throughout my childhood—they’re appropriate for my style. Sambas inform others of where I come from (a nod to sport). The patchwork tells everyone to go-to-hell while the OCBD anchors everything down in tradition. Style should inform others about who you are. This site is about encouraging preppys and ivy-leaguers to develop clearer voices through their personal style…and then sharing that with the fashion world (because we truly believe it is the best time-tested way to dress).

Things Is Cool left a comment on 4/1/2010 at 2:52 AM:

Maui madras looks good! Thanks for showing Hawai’i some love, F.E.

Ian left a comment on 3/31/2010 at 9:49 PM:

A classic look.

heatherlovesit left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 8:18 PM:

love this!

The Boss left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 2:42 PM:

Madras are synonymous with Leona Lewis: they keep bleeding.

Robdarko left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 10:00 AM:

I require a 8” to 10” inseam but this kid can definitely pull it off.  Looks good!

Connetiquette left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 7:29 AM:

Rugby has bleeding madras in store as we speak

hillybilly left a comment on 3/30/2010 at 4:47 AM:

like your leggs, dude’s

Jake left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 11:41 PM:

Nice shorts.

James left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 8:02 PM:

I’ve been on the lookout for a short-sleeve madras button-down. Any suggestions?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 6:54 PM:

Brilliant look.

The Boss left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 6:13 PM:

Fred—That’s interesting regarding your height. I was going to ask the same question before I clicked on the comment section. I always assumed (based on your photos) that you were shorter than that. Being 6’2” myself, I would think a 5” inseam would look ridiculous on me, but perhaps that’s because I’m used to 7-9” inseams.

M.M. Gashlycrumb left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 5:19 PM:

Where are those glasses from? They’re GREAT!
    Also, nice shorts

J. Hall-Luper left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 4:59 PM:

This is such a summer look I can get behind. Can’t wait. And I’ve boycotted shorts for the past 3 years, so its kind of a big deal.

Michael E. left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 4:53 PM:

Could you recommend a good source for bleeding madras?

Andy left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 3:20 PM:

With the arrival of shorter-shorts styles I suspect we’ll see a lot of arguments on what looks good and what doesn’t.  In the end it’s all subjective but it’s pulled off well in this picture.  I have some shorts in a similar pattern from A&F (it was my college phase) that I haven’t worn in ages due to their length but with some quick tailoring I may be set.

CLG23 left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 3:10 PM:

yep…is is definately a must for the spring/summer. The length is alittle iffy for me, right above the knew is my spot. Well done!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 2:56 PM:

Mike—I’m about 6’.

Michael left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 2:47 PM:

Fred, you’re my hero.

Connetiquette left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 2:44 PM:

I give up. Flash your thighs all you want. ;)

Mike left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 2:34 PM:

A personal favorite. I would love to see you analyze seersucker as well.

Shorts are too short for me, but I applaud you for your bravery. How tall are you?

Nicholas left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 1:45 PM:

Short shorts are where it’s at. I’d go further than peeking boxers; peeking pockets are ideal. Ditch the specs and throw on some shades with croakies and you’re set.

Kyle Barnes left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 1:22 PM:

digging the madras with white & gum samba pairing… I picked up those shoes last summer and had trouble wearing them with longer shorts but with the shorter inseams they hit the spot. Well Done Sir!

• Fair Complexion

Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX

Mar 26, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Fred & Barbara left a comment on 12/6/2013 at 6:45 PM:

I believe the clothes are outstanding because of the young lady wearing them.  Of course, my wife and I are prejudice since we are her grandparents.
    As for the dog, that cute little pup can do no wrong.

Randi left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 6:14 PM:

The pants: cotton pincord trouser. The story on the dog: She is a frequent of Highland Park Village as much as any local shopper. I think this was the third time we had seen the pup in that one week.

shawndb left a comment on 3/27/2010 at 11:19 AM:

Love the look…and yes, Dallas can be a prep haven. Especially in Highland Park Village, where the Rugby store is located in that photo.

bunny left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 2:06 PM:

cutest dog evah! she just needs a sweater to match her mummy.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 12:43 PM:

Sir Greg—Welcome to Unabashedly Prep. I do travel a bit and have my camera with me most of the time. I believe her trousers are a cotton pincord.

Sir Greg left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 11:33 AM:

Hey, do you travel all over taking photos (I see different locations on ever other picture) I am new to the website btw. As far as the picture goes love the pants and the blazer. The pants are linen correct?

RWF left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 11:21 AM:

I keep seeing so many great pictures from Dallas….if this keeps up I’m moving down :)

pleasurablerevelation.blogspot.com

Andrew left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 9:47 AM:

I absolutely adore the trouser that she is wearing, and the menswear inspired blazer.  Very classic.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 9:35 AM:

Brilliant. Love the espadrilles, the trousers and the maltese. Everything!

KFad left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 9:26 AM:

Time for the ladies to break out the espadrilles.

anthony left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 9:14 AM:

well done. i’m guessing the pants are seersucker and i like how you paired them with fair isle. very cool.

• Just Visit

Miscellany  

Mar 25, 2010 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Randi left a comment on 3/29/2010 at 6:10 PM:

Love her. Love her style. Love what she is about. Love everything about her. Willing to go where no woman had been before.

Arnold left a comment on 3/26/2010 at 4:40 AM:

that’s why i don’t wanna get married

Koen left a comment on 3/25/2010 at 6:06 PM:

Haha, it’s true. A lifetime together is way too long.

• Older Posts