• Brain Power

Miscellany  

Apr 30, 2010 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

Juanita left a comment on 7/16/2012 at 1:42 PM:

Well, heck, the last time I checked, I’m a guy and I caryrmy stuff around in an LL Bean canvas bag.  I don’t call it a tote, but there it is, over there on the den floor holding my gym clothes, my iPad and my laptop hmmmmnnnn.

• Spur On

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Noteworthy: grosgrain watchband, unbuttoned button-down collar and no break in his 501's.

Apr 29, 2010 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Damien left a comment on 5/4/2010 at 4:31 PM:

I’ve become a big fan of the no break trouser even though it doesn’t work for all looks. Sid’s got it right as far as his interpretation of modern American men’s style with a dash of Neapolitan flair.

James left a comment on 5/1/2010 at 7:05 AM:

I love the flood pant look.  Just can’t do it myself.  Keep it going.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/30/2010 at 10:05 AM:

Andy—It’s inspiring to read someone actually paying attention and learning. The tie is the perfect example of the disheveled non-chalance that I preach at Unabashedly Prep. The knot is completely intentional yet fools some into thinking it was not.  You want to exhibit a slight imperfection in your style. It humanizes and individualizes you.

Andy left a comment on 4/30/2010 at 9:50 AM:

CapitolA, I’ll bet you the tie style is on purpose.  Most of the guys at Sid Mashburn have a distinctive way of wearing their ties so that both ends are visible.  I got my 501s there and am wearing them much the same way today, (along with a pink shirt, no less.)  They shrink by three inches after the first wear, so I rolled them at first and now have no break just like what’s shown here.  I don’t wear them with everything, but on the right outfit I really love this look.  It shows off my normal ankle style; either extremely obnoxious socks or no socks at all.

bunny left a comment on 4/30/2010 at 12:24 AM:

good old 501’s…in a take ivy fit. the pink shirt & ivory boatshoes are so cute and spring-y

Christian Arthur Bourasseau left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 10:28 PM:

The Jeans fits him perfectly.

knitxcore left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 8:04 PM:

i am “no break’s” biggest fan!  those 501’s are perfect.

CapitolA left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 4:37 PM:

The back of the tie is just showing. Even though it wasn’t on purpose, it’s a nice touch in the photo…Shows everything is not perfect.

M left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 3:04 PM:

I can’t tell what’s going on with his tie.  It looks like he’s wearing 2 ties at once.

Rashidi left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 2:26 PM:

@Carpeaux - Yes, as in womenswear.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 2:01 PM:

Love a guy who can wear pink.
    Rashidi…did you say Ann Mashburn? As in, womenswear??

Robdarko left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 1:19 PM:

Very sharp!

Rashidi left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 11:01 AM:

Dope, looks like this was from your visit at Sid Mashburn. Did you see that he’s opening Ann Mashburn around the corner?

honorthytailor.com

• Floral Arrangement

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX

Noteworthy: contrasting white button-down club collar. Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Apr 28, 2010 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Justin FitzPatrick left a comment on 5/4/2010 at 6:13 PM:

Love it when women actually put a clever outfit together to create something sexy instead of just trying to wear as little as possible to accentuate their assets. This girl looks great!! Well done to her!

http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.com/

ian left a comment on 4/29/2010 at 5:17 PM:

I think a similar khaki skirt woulda been better, but regardless she is killin the bowtie!
    I dont think too many females could pull it off, but she did

Jay left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 7:27 PM:

Very Cute.

andrew left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 5:37 PM:

pure class.

anthony left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 4:41 PM:

the comment below is hilarious. she does look fearsome, but her attire is impeccable. it’s rare that you see women pulling off bow ties in a feminine manner, but she definitely succeeds.

furthermore, the pink cardigan is the perfect way to stay warm (especially since it’s been cold in the NE lately) while delving into spring color palettes. great shot fred and awesome ensemble.

C left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 3:07 PM:

I doub’t one would get away with much around this specimen.

Richard Ross left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 2:10 PM:

Again, I instantly fall in love with a woman in a bow tie. This is beautiful.

abc left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 11:59 AM:

She’s great…so is her outfit

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 10:22 AM:

Great picture. I really like everything, her tie, her cardigan, her belt and of course the girl! Good Job F.E.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 10:11 AM:

I wish I could pull this look off…incredible

The Boss left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 9:35 AM:

As I previously mentioned over at Rugby’s HQ, Randi is killin’ it with this look. There is something endearing about a gal who knows how to show just the right amount of skin without looking trashy. Most importantly, I’m drawn to the color contrast between her hair and cardigan. Well played, dear.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 9:30 AM:

Good grief, what an adorable young filly!! Love it.

Straw Boater left a comment on 4/28/2010 at 8:59 AM:

A definite 10.

Probably my favorite picture I’ve seen here and on the Rugby site.

• Randolph Engineering

Style  

As Summer peeks around the corner, peek back in style while protecting your eyes. Randolph Engineering aviators ($99) were first brought to my attention by Michael Bastian (they are one of his five summer essentials for every guy’s closet). It is a solid aviator by an outfit who’s been supplying sunglasses to the U.S. Military and Air Forces world wide since 1982. They’re meticulously handcrafted using only the finest materials. Though lightweight, they feel like they could withstand mission after mission over Iraq...because they do. It’s a no brainer for guys. But for the ladies? Absolutely. You can customize frame, lens and temple configurations, ensuring a proper fit for your smaller frame.

Photographed in New Canaan, CT

Spring for a classic American silhouette (in gold with gray flash mirror lenses) in lieu of overpriced designer aviators this summer. Configure your own pair at Randolph Engineering's website or just drop by Sid Mashburn’s place in Atlanta and try on a pair in person.

Apr 27, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

John a/k/a JetAviator7 left a comment on 1/14/2013 at 4:26 PM:

I love these Randolph Engineering Aviators, and the new packaging for them is really awesome!

M Arthur left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 9:12 PM:

The look deserves an “Oh behave!”. The aviator style is timeless.  This photo could have been shot in 1980!

MainLine BlueBlood left a comment on 5/19/2011 at 11:26 PM:

I’ve worn the same pair of RE Concorde aviators for years and they are hands down the best aviators available. Spend the extra money - your eyes will thank you.

Bert left a comment on 5/13/2010 at 9:29 PM:

American Optical is the exact same (I have a few pairs of each) for half the price. No brainer.

For the record, American Optical invented the sunglasses in ‘58, and they went to the moon in ‘69. Randolph was started by an employee of AO in ‘82 because he thought he could manufacture the glasses cheaper and get the military contract. He succeeded and RE holds the contract to this day, however in the last couple years they’ve been trying to market them to civies and jacked the price up to $100 (they were $40 when I got my last pair in 2004). It also appears they got Don Draper to wear them.

H. left a comment on 5/4/2010 at 10:04 AM:

RE’s are nice, but i prefer american optical for best value.

The Sporting Life left a comment on 5/3/2010 at 11:29 AM:

I have smashed them flat w/o breaking the lenses, and bent them back into shape.  The best made sunglasses I have ever owned.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 11:33 PM:

Those are really nice sunglasses and the girls is really beautiful. I like her ripped sweater.

S.N. Carpeaux left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 11:16 PM:

Fantastic. Adding them to the list this summer.

Chris left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 10:18 PM:

Extremely comfortable, stylish and very well made. I have Raybans, Persols, Costas and others but all I wear is RE. I do suggest the Aviator with the bayonet temples.

homewrecker left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 10:04 PM:

Where is this Bastian Summer Essentials list?

Rhonda left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 6:40 PM:

So glad that you posted this!  I have wanted aviators for the longest time, but they never seem to fit my face.  I am hoping this will solve that issue.

constantstateofgrace left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 5:21 PM:

Someone once gifted me a pair ... long story short: I lost them and you helped me solve a mystery!

http://www.constantstateofgrace.blogspot.com/

KFad left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 4:56 PM:

The original pilots’ version are my go-to shades.

Knot Clothing left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 4:47 PM:

My friend who is in Naval OTS picked me up a pair of these from his base in Quantico, VA.  I highly recommend them for an alternative to Ray Bans!

• Yale Crew

Sports  

Yale varsity crew preparing for its annual race with Harvard. Yale is America's oldest college boat club, originating in 1843.

Image via ©Bettmann/CORBIS

Apr 26, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Simon left a comment on 10/19/2011 at 2:37 PM:

this is a great article, i think you should do one on eton rowing aswell.

David Lee Saurer left a comment on 5/13/2010 at 4:29 AM:

Does anyone recall the Blue Room Association of 1927? The Blue Room was a large otherwise unused space in the building where non-rowing Yale student volunteers stayed during the Y-H Regatta on the Thames. We all painted our names in that room in blue, of course.

Although I rowed lightweight freshman year, I was asked to become Varsity Manager of Crew. My chief job was to drive Coach Jim Rasmussen’s launch during our practice rows up and down the Housatonic from the old boathouse at Derby.

I can still fit into my letter sweater featuring a large Y with crossed oars.

I was class of 1970, so this was all long ago.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/2/2010 at 3:24 PM:

@Jim—It just didn’t work out for me. Life had other plans.

jim beam left a comment on 4/27/2010 at 11:51 AM:

Forgive me if I’m misinterpreting your reply, but what happened with Dartmouth?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 5:19 PM:

Jim Beam—Neither. I had my sights set on Dartmouth.

jim beam left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 5:11 PM:

F.E. which ivy league did you attend? Yale or Harvard?

Heavy Tweed Jacket left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 5:07 PM:

Great image. Classic sport.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 10:24 AM:

What a great picture. It is full of history and tradition.

Dillon left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 9:16 AM:

great picture, might have to make a trip from providence soon.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 7:49 AM:

James—I drove by the Harvard boat house while in Cambridge last week…the water was glass. So serene.

James left a comment on 4/26/2010 at 7:43 AM:

I am making a point to watch them this year.  In the winter I was driving through the back roads of CT and got lost.  But happened upon the Yale boat house.  The water and house looked magical. I can’t wait…

• Older Posts