• Postal Service

Dress Code  

Photographed in Fort Worth, TX

Noteworthy: use of bow tie in lieu of pocket square and 7" inseam on patchwork madras shorts from thrift store ($7).

Jun 16, 2010 | Permalink (30) View/Leave Comments

Richard Morrison left a comment on 6/27/2010 at 6:49 PM:

The glasses are amazing!  I’ve been wanting to get them for myself.  I have also loved bow ties for years.  But who hasn’t really?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/25/2010 at 11:45 AM:

@Ian—It’s the patchwork madras that make the contradiction between top and bottom, not the shorts themselves. And it’s that contradiction that keeps things fresh and interesting while not crossing the line of contrived.

richard Ross left a comment on 6/19/2010 at 1:35 AM:

This is absolutely fantastic. Very well done.

Ian left a comment on 6/18/2010 at 8:32 PM:

Hmmm. I’m not sure about this sort of combination. I’ve seen the sports-coat with shorts presented in other blogs and publications and actually wore it just last weekend, with topsiders too! It just didn’t work for me I guess. Perhaps it’s because the top half is more formal which IMO conflicts with the casual bottom half . Perhaps I’m not that confident a dresser. But you do look good.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 6/18/2010 at 8:14 AM:

Not a fan of bow-ties, but this is a wondeful look nonetheless. Like the specs and haircut.

James left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 7:21 PM:

FEC,
    Nice pick up @RUGBYRL.  I wish I had made the plunge and picked up the white cotton blazer last year.  Nice one.  Great thing about this look…it suits you.  You’ve made it yours.  Enjoy!
    JB

M left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 3:42 PM:

Miami Vice?

Andy1128 left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 2:47 PM:

Looks great! I’d wear that anywhere!

DAM left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 2:14 PM:

I’d love to see what your closet looks like. Walk in? Bi-fold doors, organized to a tee or total mess. I’m sure it’s a curated as Sid Mashburns, but totally interesting.

bunny left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 1:28 PM:

wow. amazing you found those madras shorts at a thrift store. the post office looks grand.

George left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 12:02 PM:

Terrific!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 10:57 AM:

@M.D. Cooley—The jacket is by Rugby Ralph Lauren.

M.D.Cooley left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 10:46 AM:

Great look! Where is the jacket from?

Conchi left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 8:56 AM:

Amazing. J’Aime

http://myjewelsandmore.blogspot.com/

robdarko left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 8:52 AM:

I would expect nothing less from you, F.E.C.  Well done.

As for the three button jacket:  Is it a 3/2 roll or a true 3 button jacket?  Justin James is of the opinion that buttoning anything other than the “waist” button would be a faux pas but this is not the case for a true 3 button jacket.  The rule is to button the first two.

Robert I. Brown left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 8:42 AM:

Great looking clothes and you put it together well. Very nice, Fred.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 8:33 AM:

@Christian Bourasseau—My glasses are made by Eye Bobs.

aLINEofCOCJIN left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 7:58 AM:

Loving the look. I totally did the bow tie pocket square while I was running late. It’s definitely not a bad look. Great job!

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 6:53 AM:

F.E.C What brand are your fabulous glasses?

Sarah left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 3:19 AM:

I can see why the postal clerk thought you were off somewhere… This is an amazing look. Love it!

Ariel left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 12:57 AM:

Dude. This looks amazing.

robin left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 12:19 AM:

WONDERFUL! This is perfect!

Katie left a comment on 6/17/2010 at 12:00 AM:

Sexy can I

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 10:36 PM:

@Eric—The Sperrys are dark brown leather.

@Justin James—Good eye. It is really sad to see so many gentlemen button the last button on their jacket or vests.

Rhonda left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 8:57 PM:

Perfection!

Eric left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 8:10 PM:

The dark boat shoes are great. Are those navy? Black?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 8:00 PM:

This guy is full of good taste! Everything’s perfect!

Al left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 5:57 PM:

That’s the quintessential prep style you have going right there. Keep up the great work Fred!

TCameron left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 5:22 PM:

I used a bow tie as a pocket square recently and it does work wonders in a pinch!

Justin James left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 4:44 PM:

Also, I took notice of the use of only the middle button. So many times I see the mistake being made of adding the top, or wearing all three.

• Resuscitated Fashions

Miscellany  

Jun 15, 2010 | Permalink (3) View/Leave Comments

Holly left a comment on 6/15/2010 at 11:31 AM:

love love george bernard shaw, and a very true quote

http://collegiateroyalty.blogspot.com

Wackadoodle left a comment on 6/15/2010 at 11:07 AM:

Still waiting for the morning coat and dickie revival.

Wisco left a comment on 6/15/2010 at 10:58 AM:

My mother teaches history of costume and has repeatedly told me that there is almost nothing new in fashion… things simply get recycled over time.  Wide lapel, skinny lapel, wide lapel;  Rinse, wash, repeat.

• Sweating the Summer

Style | Sports  

Image via Chaloner Woods

The 2010 IRA National Championship recently wrapped the pinnacle of the oldest intercollegiate sport in the United States. With inspiring performances by Washington and Princeton, it’s this linen/cotton sweater (circa 1954) that is inspiring me this summer. I’ll be pulling one on with a shawl collar for those cool summer nights.

Jun 14, 2010 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

john left a comment on 6/15/2010 at 9:12 PM:

great piece

anthony left a comment on 6/15/2010 at 7:25 AM:

Great piece Fred. I love wearing linen/cotton/silk sweaters in the summer if possible. The best part about these pieces is that they can often be worked into fall/early-spring lineups if they display the proper color palette.

RL currently has a few fair isle sweaters that are perfect for either a preppy or bohemian look in the summer that could easily be worn in the fall if done properly.

trip left a comment on 6/14/2010 at 8:13 PM:

Wow, I always see light sweaters in spring and summer catalogs, and while they look great and I can get behind the idea, the possibility of wearing a sweater in Georgia won’t occur again until October.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/14/2010 at 5:34 PM:

@Genevieve—I appreciate the fact that you folded a men’s inspired piece into your style.

Genevieve left a comment on 6/14/2010 at 5:25 PM:

On vacation last Summer I picked up one of these sweaters at a thrift store in a small town in Pennsylvania. I don’t think it has the same flair when worn by a girl, but I still keep it because I love looking at it.

• A Master Tailor

Miscellany  

A good tailor can make you look like a million bucks. A master tailor can genuinely make you feel like a million bucks. Quang Dau, the master tailor holed up in the back of Sid Mashburn’s eponymous boutique, has been honing his craft for over 40 years. Since Mashburn opened his doors in 2007, Dau has ensured every client is meticulously finished. He’s known to magically transform pleated trousers into flat fronts, taper classic 501s and consistently hoists the holy grail of custom tailoring—reconstructing a jacket. “Pay close attention to fit and finish—a good tailor is essential,” advises Mashburn.

“I can do anything." —Quang Dau, master tailor

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Don’t have a guy yet? Start looking for one in your area. I look to my tailor solely for alterations. When you do choose your tailor, visit (with) him—on a regular basis. My tailor understands the intricacies and nuances of my style. Every time I bring in a pair of trousers Nam knows I want a 29” inseam. More importantly he listens to me—and I listen to him.

Jun 11, 2010 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Kyle left a comment on 5/12/2011 at 8:32 PM:

This is excellent. Thank you!

http://athensstyle.tumblr.com/ left a comment on 6/16/2010 at 3:23 AM:

Its really very usefull to have a tailor, either for making a brand new suit from the scratch, or to make some changes to ready made ones. Especialy if your body doesnt fit the top model icon. But even in that case a tailor is needed.

mjl left a comment on 6/14/2010 at 12:51 PM:

kudos to andy and F.E. for the kind responses.  i’ll think twice next time i have stuff altered.

TRAVIS left a comment on 6/13/2010 at 12:15 AM:

Great story - I like how you exposed what’s often swept under the rug in fashion. People see the smoke and mirrors but not the people producing the illusion.

withinthehedges.blogspot.com

Andy left a comment on 6/12/2010 at 1:29 PM:

@MJL, I see where you’re coming from, but in my case I’ve gone to Dau for two things: First, I took several pairs of pants that I bought a few years ago before I realized I was buying my clothes sized all wrong… huge flowing pleats, etc.  I walked into the office for the first time in one of my reworked pairs and heard “nice pants” from literally the first person I saw.  Secondly, it can be difficult to find pants that truly fit right.  Aside from the obvious issues such as length, cuffs/no cuffs, pleats/flat front, a good tailor can take a few inches out of the butt or the legs to create a slimmer, better looking silhouette.  I’ve found that to be something that just not any tailor or dry cleaner can pull off.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/12/2010 at 12:46 PM:

@MJL—If you take a second look, you will realize I am not recommending a master tailor for alterations (I mentioned I require only alterations from my tailor thus you can assume my guy is not a master tailor).  This post is about the beauty a master tailor can provide if you want the shoulder pads removed from a jacket to produce a natural shoulder.  I’m also bringing attention to Sid Mashburn putting his money where his mouth is. Sid believes in tailoring and as one should expect, he has a master tailor on staff to make his custom suiting and alterations.

With that being said…you should rise above going to a dry cleaner for your alterations. Choose a guy who does it all day, everyday…and does it well.

mjl left a comment on 6/12/2010 at 12:31 PM:

i wonder a few things about this post, and don’t take them as condescending by any means.  i understand the incredible talent a master tailor has, and think its very admirable.  i can barely thread a bobbin, so i’m not one to criticize.  but, here’s my real question, other than having pants hemmed, sleeves on a jacket shortened, what else are you having altered?  if you’re having reconstruction done on pants or jackets, wouldn’t you be better suited (no pun intended) buying a different size jacket or pants, or even having them made from a few yards of fabric?  the basic alterations i mentioned can easily be performed at your dry cleaner for a fraction of the cost and appear exactly the same.  that being said, other than custom made clothing, what are you going to a master tailor for?

if i’m off base here, enlighten me, please.  i’m always open to suggestions, advice, etc.

Andrew Eastman left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 8:37 PM:

I’m sure he’s a superb tailor.

www.andrew1769.wordpress.com

Keith left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 8:06 PM:

Great post full of worthwhile advice.  I definitely need to look around for a tailor.

JMM left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 5:28 PM:

Dau is amazing. He’s converted pleated pants to flat-front and you’d never know the difference. He’s done jacket reconstructions that fit like skin when he was finished.

Rashidi left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 4:36 PM:

He’s done some work on three pairs of pants that I’ve purchased there, unfortunately, I don’t have any before and after shots on my site yet.

honorthytailor.com

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 4:35 PM:

@Memphis88—Very good choice in the 7” inseam. Cuff them 2” every now and then this summer.

Memphis88 left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 4:33 PM:

Just dropped of 4 pairs of too-long shorts with my guy yesterday and didn’t even try them on because he knows that I like my shorts with a 7-inch inseam.

• Painter’s Jean

Dress Code  

Photographed in New Canaan, CT

Previously featured on Rugby's blog, The Newsroom.

Jun 10, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

H. left a comment on 6/12/2010 at 5:47 PM:

I wish that was a gold DJ on her wrist.

H.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 8:56 PM:

She is incredibly hot. As a former New Canaan resident, I see that this was shot right next to the cinema, with the parking lot up the stairs to the back. Do they still have Family Britches and McLaughlin there?

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

The Boss left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 2:54 PM:

I actually find her proportions quite endearing. Think about it: she’s managed to pull together a look that borders the line between masculinity and femininity—a difficult look to achieve without looking like a total frump. Cut her some slack.

styELLE left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 2:26 PM:

I also thought of Sienna Miller when I first saw this photo on Rugby’s blog. I absolutely love the top and the oversize watch, and though I understand the look she’s going for, I would’ve preferred a skinny white jean to the paint-splattered boyfriend ones, especially with a loose top.

robdarko left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 11:26 AM:

Interesting.  Where are you trying to go with this, F.E.C.?  Obvi, this is not prep.

P.S.  Thanks for a great pic.

ssn left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 10:13 AM:

watch looks like a michael kors my wife has.

slo left a comment on 6/11/2010 at 9:59 AM:

anyone know the exact watch that is??

Lila Ferraro left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 7:12 PM:

I love her shirt, but that watch just catches my eye!

Genevieve left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 4:00 PM:

As soon as I saw the picture I thought of Sienna Miller. I love the watch and I have an almost identical sweater.

gld left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 2:37 PM:

the top is fantastic and I want that watch!

trm left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 2:07 PM:

great pick!!..
    p.s. I agree with M.D. Cooley, Rugby has some great items on sale!..

Does anyone have a student discount code that I can use??

Andy left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 1:13 PM:

I love it.  An attractive woman with a men’s sized watch always looks great, and her classic navy and white/gray stripe never goes out of style.

Max left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 10:11 AM:

She looks great, relaxed, like she doesn’t have to try hard.  The context on the rugby blog was that she was at a movie theater on a rainy summer day.  Perfect outfit for that.  The fact that she’s hot maybe helps her cause a little but she definitely has style.

The Boss left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 9:57 AM:

The gold watch elevates this look to another level. #1 Stunna.

legor left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:43 AM:

watch saves day

abc left a comment on 6/10/2010 at 6:42 AM:

Not really paying attention to her jeans as much as to her and her bare shoulder…

• Newer Posts Older Posts