• Roger That

Dress Code  

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: Jack Rogers sandals, Kiel James Patrick d-ring braided nautical belt, anchor necklace.

Sep 9, 2010 | Permalink (35) View/Leave Comments

Aud left a comment on 9/15/2010 at 10:58 PM:

Preppy perfection in a way that I could never pull off. Cary, you look gorgeous.

kate left a comment on 9/12/2010 at 6:26 PM:

HOTTTTTNESS!!

A.W. Keller left a comment on 9/10/2010 at 10:14 AM:

Jack Rogers sandals are my absolute favorite.

Trailer Trad left a comment on 9/10/2010 at 6:52 AM:

My Daughter won’t quit bugging me about the Nantucket Red Jack Rogers sandals at ‘Murray’s.’

Hannah left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 7:40 PM:

Cary, this outfit is great! You look stunning even when dressed down, and truly make the men’s oversized button down work for you. Gals like you give Newport a good name.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 6:47 PM:

Yes, I would like to roger that. And then buy her dinner afterwards.

Genuine Lustre left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 5:50 PM:

Really cute, and far from androgynous. Love that she’s wearing a long sleeved shirt with the short shorts. Normally we see this with a tank top, which I think is “too much of everything.”

Dillon left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 5:30 PM:

Side Note - i was just at that restaurant over this past weekend. (41 N) It was terrible, poor service, decent food.. just eh.

I dig the belt

Tammy left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 4:14 PM:

I have the same shorts.  I wish J Crew would still keep their classic style and stopped following the new direction that they have taken.

Richard Ross left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 4:10 PM:

This is a picture that can subdue the itch for the fall season. This outfit is perfect.

My only problem is that her telephone number is no where to be found.

CLG23 left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 4:03 PM:

perfectly done Cary…well played
    I see this alot on FSU’s campus
    Persoanlly I think “androgyny” is a bit excessive, worng word choice by a few of you guys.The shirt may not be form fitting, but the shorts and sandals and long flowing hair counteract that. Shes amazingly feminine in this outfit…

C. Croker left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 2:57 PM:

Goodness.  What is it that you do for a living?  Atlanta one day, Newport the next.  What a life . . .

Bjorn left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 2:36 PM:

Lovely look Cary! Can never get enough of girls in mens shirts! This look makes me long for summer. It is too cold for shorts here in Sweden at the moment. Autumn came early this year.

bunny left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 1:17 PM:

cute :) i LOVE your white summer sunnies!

robdarko left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 1:04 PM:

@Cary – Guys wear pink.  Please check out my previous comment.  You may have missed the bit at the end.

T.K Banderley left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 12:53 PM:

I love that belt! I see Kiel James Patrick is making its rounds, & its a great thing! Im not a huge fan of the sandals, but the rest of the outfit makes up for anything.

Do you know when she got the shorts? I wonder if they’re still around, id love a pair/

fsp left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 12:34 PM:

That’s what i call UNDERSTATEMENT. Great look!

Doc left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 12:33 PM:

@ Cary:  The 15 1/2 “size” refers to the circumference of the collar… 15 1/2 inches. Some shirt makers base the sleeve length off of the neck measurement for their sport shirts.  A traditional men’s dress shirt would include both the neck and sleeve length (e.g. 15 1/2 - 35).  Hope this helps!

Jim Donaldson left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 12:33 PM:

Cary looks androgynous in the same way Marlene Dietrich looks androgynous in top hat and tails—totally feminine and very hot. Iconic, too.

Look it up if you need to.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 12:23 PM:

@cws—“Androgynous” is pretty much the ultimate preppy compliment for a woman. That is what the prep aesthetic is grounded in.  Place her next to me and we would look extremely similar…save the Jack Rogers sandals. Men should rarely wear sandals.

@The Boss—I do not know if she carries a wallet or not. She was a guest/visitor at the hotel I crashed at for the night, Fort 1 North.

@BMOC—She was photographed at Forty 1 North.

cws left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 12:10 PM:

@ Cary -  androgynous? Far from it…quite feminine and stunning is more like it. Poor choice of words from the crowd…

The Boss left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 11:33 AM:

The mixing of colors presented here is exceptional. Steezy, breezy. No purse, though. Does she carry a wallet?

John Ndge left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 11:18 AM:

Love the shorts, its a perfect brown and as mentioned earlier, the green belt does add a nice “zing”

Elizabeth left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 10:34 AM:

The bright green belt here adds a nice “zing!” to the outfit. Here in New England it’s already getting too cool outside for shorts, though.

Cary Randolph left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 10:20 AM:

Thank you all for the very kind compliments. Do I really look that androgynous? Perhaps the shirt should have been pink. Who/what/wear:
    Gitman Bros. button-down in size 15 1/2 (I don’t understand men’s sizing.)
    J.Crew 5” shorts
    Sterling anchor necklace by J.H.Breakell of Newport, R.I.
    Jack Rogers sandals from summer ‘07
    Wayfarer rip-offs purchased at a gas station in rural Missouri, summer ‘07

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 9:12 AM:

Nice find, FEC, this is a great photo.

She is extremely cute and the clothes are perfect.

Peace out.

ndndsensation left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 9:06 AM:

lovin’ the boyfriend shirt.

robdarko left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 8:44 AM:

My reaction was very visceral.  This girl is casual perfection and, for lack of a better word, plays up the prep “androgyny” beautifully.  With the exception of the sandals, this outfit would be appropriate on either sex.  Clothes then become a uniform and we start paying attention to the actual person(s).

On her, the boxy cut of the shirt/short intrigue me and I find myself looking for the curves on her body, admiring her obviously tanned/toned legs, and her long locks.

BMOC left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 7:59 AM:

Black Pearl? Bar looks familiar but paved floor doesn’t . . . .

Woman to Blame left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 7:55 AM:

Love the shorts, J.crew 5inch chinos? Great combination with the shirt & shorts.

(http://everydaymusingsofacollegestudent.blogspot.com/)

ysb left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 7:37 AM:

The boy look is so in for the Prep Girl right now. Love this shot. J.Crew is really helping out with that quintessential look. The shorts are amazing. What’s noteworthy about them?

cws left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 7:34 AM:

Brings back memories of when my wife used to wear my button-downs…

sabrina left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 6:54 AM:

i woul love to wear that !

http://chino-couture.blogspot.com/

Super Burbs left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 6:32 AM:

Casual perfection…

John left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 6:21 AM:

Hot Damn!

• The 19th Hole

Miscellany  

It was in East Hampton this past summer that I initially met J.T. Crowley. Following a score of emails back and forth, he invited me out to his annual preppy party, a tongue-in-cheek backyard affair with his closest chums. Bocce ball, barbecuing and the deluge of alcohol made for an entertaining evening at the Amagansett house dubbed The 19th Hole. Naturally, I brought my camera.

“Attire should reflect your uncanny ability to befuddle and deeply annoy those who do not work in finance, have not summered anywhere, can not recite from memory the airport codes for Palm Beach, Nantucket, nor Fishers Island, and who can not, if their lives depended on it, explain the difference between Piping Rock and Rolling Rock.”

Photographed in Amagansett, NY

Crowley mailed out the invites using Paperless Post, an eco-friendly, thrifty way to send invitations online. The cards have the look and texture of what you would find in a high-end stationary store, but the ease, eco-consciousness and cost-effectiveness of digital communication. What else would you expect—we’re frugal.

Sep 8, 2010 | Permalink (16) View/Leave Comments

Hannah left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 3:03 PM:

Finally a true preppy post! Love all the Lilly.

DAM left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 10:29 AM:

Fred: Why can’t we enlarge any of the pictures?

dan speicher left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 11:27 PM:

I have spent many summers shooting, riding, and lounging by the pool at Rolling Rock, but for the life of me never heard of Piping Rock until today. Great images Fred.

JRS left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 5:07 PM:

Excellent pictures from the Preppy Party.  What sort of camera/lenses do you use?  (Feel free to email…)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 3:43 PM:

@Luis Alcaraz—Thank you. I have not really taken any photography “classes” but make no mistake about it, I am a professional and have been shooting since 2005.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 3:36 PM:

@ FEC You are a great photographer, really good job here. Did you take classes? Everything looks great and everyone look great is a shame that the summer is over.
    Regards!!

robdarko left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 12:58 PM:

Did Tim wear any Tommy Hilfiger?  Hope not.

bunny left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 12:44 PM:

everyone looks so great and preppy :) kind of enjoying the candid smoking photos! that house is neat… the dress code within the invite is amusing.

samantha left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 11:13 AM:

Who’s that guy in the light blue shirt at the bottom, middle photo second from last?  Such a stud and strong like an ox.  I heard he can lift a small italian sports car circa 73’ over his head

Chase left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 10:57 AM:

This is like a blog post containing my summers on Nantucket. I missed it this year, damn DC internship.

Chantz Hough left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 10:37 AM:

Seriously dude. You’re amazing.

TWA left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 9:46 AM:

OMG who is the guy in the pink polo shirt in both of the pictures below “photographed in Amagansett, NY”
    That is a true preppy hottie! He has got it goin’ on and makes it look completely effortless. # Please :)
    J/k (not really)

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 9:42 AM:

Looks like a great party over there! Nice pictures.

Tommy V. left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 9:37 AM:

Awesome photos. I especially love the last one.

Looks like it was a fun party.

NWR left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 8:56 AM:

Well done. I hope you had a chance to get a few phone numbers from the beautiful ladies in attendance.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 7:25 AM:

Is this where preps go ,when they ,die?

• Blue Bengal

Dress Code  

Photographed in Atlanta, GA

Noteworthy: vintage bow tie from Bobby From Boston.

Sep 7, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

bastos left a comment on 9/8/2010 at 10:28 AM:

nice style
    you d better check this http://thebkcircus.com/bkc/

bunny left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 10:33 PM:

nice & neat :) congrats on a year btw!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 5:24 PM:

@Al—This equestrian belt is made by Tory and can currently be found in Sid Mashburn’s eponymous shop in Atlanta, GA.

Al left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 4:49 PM:

F.E.C., is the belt from Sid Mashburn?

JRS left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 3:02 PM:

Very well done - in my hometown.  The colored denim and sockless penny loafer look is perfection.

Elizabeth left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 1:27 PM:

I never thought I’d say this, but the skinny belts are growing on me (for men or women). After recent years of seeing wider belts everywhere, they’re refreshingly understated.

A.W. Keller left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 1:01 PM:

Outfits like this make me wish I had a boyfriend to dress.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 12:27 PM:

As usual you look great. Is a very nice look very well put together. I dont love the bow tie. But looks effortless and nice.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 11:56 AM:

@iggi—Yes, these are the same Ralph Lauren penny loafers profiled a few weeks ago.

iggi left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 11:52 AM:

Are those the same Polo loafers profiled a few weeks ago?

Richard Ross left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 9:14 AM:

I want to go to Bobby From Boston so bad.

robdarko left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 8:39 AM:

Very fresh.  Very clean.  Well done.

One caveat:  I think the tiny bowtie will date this look.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 8:07 AM:

Excelent look. I like the way your glasses are folded into your shirt’s pocket :)

ysb left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 7:15 AM:

I’m digging the skinny belt. I feel like it’s so right now. To bad you’re not here for fashion week.

• Labor Day ‘10

Culture  

Sit back and relax with a book this Labor Day...or better yet, your friends and family.

Image via Mark Shaw

Mark Shaw was a noted American fashion and celebrity photographer in the 1950s and 1960s best known for his photographs of the Kennedy family.

Sep 6, 2010 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

reub-envision left a comment on 9/16/2010 at 3:00 PM:

love this photo
    & this blog

http://reubenvision.blogspot.com/

Super Burbs left a comment on 9/9/2010 at 6:37 AM:

Oh I love this picture…can you even imagine what is going on in her head when this was taken? Such intriguing people…

Andy M. left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 9:29 AM:

I can’t get enough of the Kennedy style, and in particular the way JFK made casual look better than it ever has before or since.

Cary Randolph left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 7:11 PM:

The Camelot style (and myth) transcends politics. I never would have voted for a Kennedy, but that doesn’t stop me from poring over photos of their charmed and beautiful lives. This is a great shot, FEC.

A.W. Keller left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 5:04 PM:

I’m a dyed in the cloth Republican, but I do love me some Kennedys.  I’ve yet to see another pair of Yankees with such style.  G-d bless ‘em.

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 11:29 AM:

Those two keep me young.  God bless ‘em

That Jackie is sooo Pan & Vickers.  Classy down to the last detail

maiah left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 9:36 AM:

Lovely.

http://suburbangirlandthecity.blogspot.com

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 9:12 AM:

Classy and refreshing look. What a style!

Tyler P. left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 9:07 AM:

I love the kenney families effortless style and class… It is quite refreshing!

Wisco left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 8:38 AM:

The Kennedy’s are timeless style icons because they wore their clothes with effortless style.  Thanks for sharing.

Bjorn left a comment on 9/6/2010 at 8:37 AM:

You gotta love the Kennedys. So classy.

• The Cary Collection

Music & Books | Store Profiles  

Thomas Cary just paid $1,400 for Take Ivy, and it was only the second edition. It doesn’t bother him that it’s being reprinted. “I have clients—I sell to Tommy (Hilfiger?),” he assures me. Over the last decade he has spent up to a quarter million a year on rare and vintage books only to turn around and shrewdly supply them to the likes of Kate Spade, Tory Burch, J.Crew, Tommy Hilfiger and Ralph Lauren. They are just a few of many tapping The Cary Collection for design inspiration and display; furnishing their retail stores stretching from the Hamptons to far east Asia. Though a queer client list for a book dealer, Cary’s aesthete taste has granted him access to this veritable Who’s Who of neo-prep designers.

“Just watch your step,” Cary warns me as we tight walk our way through the narrow hallway. Stacks of rare and vintage books scale the walls as high as eye level. At first glance, the 900 square foot Upper East Side apartment is a mad experiment in preppy hoarding, but upon further inspection I realize it is actually painstakingly merchandised. He converted his apartment into a showroom 10 years ago (available by appointment). Rare cocktail how-to books amusingly perch near antiquated Stork Club memorabilia, vintage needlepoint pillows of horses and terriers dot the WASPy interior—including one handmade by Brigid Berlin (one of Andy Warhol’s muses), while a vintage Gucci saddle rests on the back of a slipper chair; all showcased in intricate arrangements upon a scad of oriental rugs.

“Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector’s passion borders on the chaos of memories.”        —Walter Benjamin

Photographed in New York, NY (click select images to enlarge)

Thomas W. L. Ashley's Skull and Bones 1948 yearbook

Cary's Prince Albert velvet slipper collection rivals his books

He is a merchandising virtuoso having spent 30 years in the fashion industry. During his days at Paul Stuart (and Brooks Brothers prior), he would run down on his lunch hour combing antiquarian book shops then hop on a train, grab a slice and be back on the selling floor in 59 minutes. Such is the life of a rare and vintage book dealer. “As a teen I would skip school and fly into the city when my parents were away,” Cary says. “I was a real wheeler and dealer in high school,” dealing in stamps and uncirculated American coins. In 2001, a home equity loan enabled him to spearhead the acquisition of his unparalleled catalogue.

Since singularly creating a specialty niche market of selling to high-end global purveyors, Cary has expanded The Cary Collection to lamps, needlepoint and accoutrement from a bygone era when men were (mad) men. One of its most fascinating books is a 1948 Yale Skull & Bones yearbook underscoring a young George Herbert Walker Bush’s betrothal to the secret society. And this is not particularly exotic in relation to its 15,000 other books. The curated stock displayed in the showroom is only the tip of the iceberg. You can peruse the collection online at Abe Books or by .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) at 245 E. 72nd St New York, NY.

Sep 3, 2010 | Permalink (36) View/Leave Comments

Principe left a comment on 2/28/2013 at 8:28 AM:

Great stuff! Some of the colours are a little to polychromatic, (I ‘m a tweeds and flannel type of guy) but all in all most intriguing…. and remember if you visit the premises don’t just ooh and aah… buy something! It’s a commercial enterprise, not a museum….

richard hammond left a comment on 1/31/2013 at 3:05 PM:

Wonderful web site, very nice talking with you today Thomas about the Bill Blass auction catalog. Look forward to visiting your gallery.

Tickled Pink And Green left a comment on 12/15/2010 at 4:19 AM:

How did I miss this post?
    OMG I want to spend a week there exploring.  Next time my mom says I have too much stuff I’m showing her these pictures.  I’m inspired now to do a million new things….  : )

isabelle left a comment on 10/19/2010 at 8:08 AM:

Thanks for sharing this extraordinary collection of vintage books. It is totally fabulous.

Tippy left a comment on 10/4/2010 at 2:57 PM:

Darn…he was about 12 blocks away from being my neighbor.  Now that would have been cool.

MikeZFromHouston left a comment on 9/18/2010 at 11:19 PM:

Cool post, I will be sure to come back and visit!

Joey Dee left a comment on 9/7/2010 at 3:36 PM:

Absolute mad house. Another great piece!

mara left a comment on 9/5/2010 at 10:21 PM:

i really really enjoyed this post! thanks so much!!!

kisses from the philippines xxx

http://amaturecouture.com/

Christopher Tawney left a comment on 9/5/2010 at 1:13 PM:

Time to move on,Basher.

Jay left a comment on 9/5/2010 at 12:57 PM:

“Hoarders: Prep Edition”  While I love the collection, he needs to get a proper showroom.  I would be afraid to lift a blazer for fear what was underneath.

Chznone left a comment on 9/4/2010 at 10:58 AM:

A-MA-ZING!!!!!!! Makes me look like a minimalist, which I am far from….......

Elizabeth left a comment on 9/4/2010 at 10:30 AM:

His place is fascinating and his book collection is astounding, but I bet talking to him is even more interesting! Thank you for sharing this.

bunny left a comment on 9/4/2010 at 1:51 AM:

amazing. naturally i love the needlepoint pillow of the dog in olde finery and the fox hunt dioramas.

Laguna Beach Trad left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 9:07 PM:

Stunning. I’m speechless.

Ted Roosevelt left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 6:08 PM:

Perhaps the most extraordinary collection this side of paradise!

Sophia Redmond left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 6:00 PM:

That shoe collection puts Carry Bradshaw’s to shame.

Caron left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 4:26 PM:

This must be something like falling down the rabbit hole in Greenwich, CT.

A.W.Keller left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 3:45 PM:

Gorgeous.  I can only imagine how incredible the photos are in the Skull and Bones yearbook.  The whole place must be incredible in real life.

pitboss12 left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 3:00 PM:

@FEC - The images are even more striking when enlarged.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 2:50 PM:

@RPOhio—The Official Preppy Handbook (hardback) fetches about $100 on eBay in good condition.

RPOhio left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 2:40 PM:

I have the original Official Preppy Handbook in hardback cover, red cloth cover.  Wonder how much it’d fetch?  Need the cash!!

TWA left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 2:27 PM:

Ha! I knew this man was a genius. Everyone tried to poo-poo him and critique his pants being wrinkled/ not hemmed. He is a preppy god! The collection of slippers alone is lust worthy but the whole collection is the complete manifestation. Thank you so much for sharing!

Royar left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 1:12 PM:

What wonderful pictures! I must visit there when I go to New York next!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 12:11 PM:

@Tom & pitboss12—You can know click on select images to enlarge them and take in all the intricate details. Thank you for the suggestion.

Chens left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 12:10 PM:

Bravo!

pitboss12 left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 12:01 PM:

It looks like the Royal Tennenbaums’ house threw up on itself - in a good way. 

Great pics, definitely need to be able to enlarge to get the full scope of the space.

Tom left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 10:40 AM:

Wow!  That is an extraordinary place.  Any chance you can make it so the pictures will enlarge if you click them? There is so much to look at, I get dizzy with the small pictures :)

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 10:39 AM:

“Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector’s passion borders on the chaos of memories.”  I simply must pay this collection a visit.  Job well done young man capturing this vibrant, detailed masterpiece.

ACH left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 10:28 AM:

Thank you; I could look at those pictures all day.

Andrea left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 10:22 AM:

Great pictures!  All of the color in his apartment is fantastic.  In a way this reminds me of the set from the Royal Tenenbaums. 
    Interesting that his bold style is reflected in his home.

michael butts left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 10:00 AM:

some stuff I love, some stuff is not for me, the clothes and slippers I mean.  And that’s what makes this collection awesome in my opinion.  Eclectic, vast, and personal.

Emily left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 9:46 AM:

A beautiful and incredible, one of a kind collection.

robdarko left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 9:35 AM:

Thank you for this glimpse, F.E.C.

Cary Randolph left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 9:20 AM:

This place is fantastic. A mad hatter, fun house library. And Mr. Cary’s taste impeccable; his adventures, no doubt, completely wild. (But then I think there is something to be said about people named Cary.) Gorgeous photos, FEC.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 9:05 AM:

That’s a lot of velvet sleepers! That place is totally whimsical!

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) left a comment on 9/3/2010 at 9:01 AM:

Ooo… I have to be so careful, or my house would look like that. My husband and I just donated over 300 books to our local library system, and STILL have to build a 2nd library in our house to accommodate our collection.

LOVE the fox on the director’s chair - have any more information on that?

• Newer Posts Older Posts