• Prince Alberts

Style | Prep Essentials  

The last time I checked in with Matthew Chevellard he was combing the Miami club scene in the wee hours of the morning. He knows how to play. He also knows how to work. More importantly, when to work. For the past six months he’s been toiling to move the production of his Del Toro Prince Albert slippers from China to Spain. It has proved to be well worth the sweat. Chevellard adds a signature red grosgrain ribbon to the heel, enlists world class craftsmanship and upgrades the piping, velvet and soles to produce a slipper he truly stands behind—or in, rather.

Del Toro Monogrammed Navy Velvet Slipper* ($295)

Though Del Toro’s shoes are crafted just outside of Madrid, Spain, custom monogrammed pairs like mine are embroidered in south Florida over a span of two to three months. The slippers run true to size and will serve as an ice breaker at every holiday party you drop by this season.

*courtesy of Del Toro

Dec 13, 2010 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Calvin Walker left a comment on 4/25/2011 at 5:35 PM:

I love the look of your shoes. I have been contemplateing purchasing some Stubbs & Wooten’s but have been having trouble justifying the price. You have given me another option and I thank you for that.Please send more information.
    Thanks so much,
    Cal

Harvey Lindsay left a comment on 1/7/2011 at 5:33 AM:

http://harveylindsay.tumblr.com/post/2566387705

Rémy left a comment on 12/20/2010 at 11:58 PM:

FEC-
    Just wanted to let you know that a few years ago, Tom Ford did a pair for Gucci with a three letter diamond monogram on each shoe. One read “FUC” an the the other spelled “KME”, so when you put them together they spelled out something not-so-gentlemanly.

By the way, do they do the Del Toro’s without the red stripe?

justin left a comment on 12/17/2010 at 3:34 AM:

These are amazing! Definitely on my want list!

Victoria left a comment on 12/15/2010 at 1:24 AM:

My boyfriend endlessly begs me for these. But aren’ the for the 50+ club?

khordkutta left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 4:14 PM:

WOW!

G left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 1:27 PM:

Wow.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 1:24 PM:

@Dan—My monogram was designed for me by Sara N. Carpeaux.

matthew chevallard left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 12:53 PM:

thanks everybody, means a lot! feel free to email me for special requests or questions, mchevallard@deltoroshoes.com.

cheers!

Nik N. Patel left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 12:39 PM:

To all,

I have 3 pairs of these (Classic Black, Grape Green, and a pair of Blue w/ Red custom monogram stitching that i recently just got) and these are truly amazing.

They are priced extremely well compared to their competitors over at S&W, and the workmanship of them are bloody brilliant.

A few months back at New York Fashion week, i was wearing my Classic Blacks with a suit during the day, and then with a pair of jeans at the after parties, and they definitely were a GREAT conversation starter w/ celebs.

I wear mine only outside, and not around the house, because that would be unsanitary for sure.

Being a distinguished British Gent myself, i think that these are a necessity in any well dressed person’s wardrobe.

DEL TORO IS BLOODY BRILLIANT!

dan left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 10:15 AM:

These are a great pair of shoes, and I’m a huge fan of that monogram.  Was that a custom or is it one of his options?  Lastly, I’m going to have to say no to limiting them to the house or opera.  Sounds like a trad thing to say.  There’s a reason why they make them with leather and no a quilted in - so you can wear them anywhere you want!

Tito left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 9:58 AM:

I’m actually got my eye on the Barker Black’s White skull-and-crossbones embroidery on vamp, the only problem I got with the slippers is the sole. the streets of new york will murder this bad boys, other than that 5 stars no question!!!!!!

john lexington left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 9:24 AM:

nice slippers i like the monogram, just keep them at the house or the opera.

JB left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 9:13 AM:

FEC,
    These are great.  The FEC monogram is a nice touch.  I have to disagree with the signiture red stripe.  It’s almost as if Prada is making a Prince Albert Slipper.  But the idea of a signiture is a nice idea.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 8:31 AM:

They are really beautiful and they have a nice price if we compare to other brands. I’ve been wanting a pair of monogramed velvet sleepers since some time ago.

• House of Spades

Style | Culture  

“[The] Spades' particular, nostalgic, classically American taste has been massively influential in the past ten years,” recounts Amy Larocca in her well documented piece on the Spades for New York magazine.

And Kate and Andy Spade’s fingerprints can be found all over their Park Avenue apartment. Though big enough for them and their daughter Bea, it’s not enormous. It manages to be preppy without the whiff of the restricted country club—a little goofy, whimsical even while still feeling familiar. From their framed family photo gallery displayed on an end table to their quirky collections, their stockpile of books to their hand loomed oriental rugs, it collectively emanates an honest version of themselves. Todd Selby recently spent some time with Kate and Andy in their Upper East Side apartment documenting their beautiful space. I’ve culled my favorites below. You can see all of the images at The Selby.

Images via Todd Selby

Doing new things that are fresh and pushing tradition to a new place without undermining it, that’s fun for me."    —Andy Spade

Dec 10, 2010 | Permalink (21) View/Leave Comments

PneuslyGlunty left a comment on 2/16/2013 at 11:34 PM:

seated Appear into the history of the seat <a >トリーバーチ 靴</a>  convertible seats There are also mixture <a >Louboutin</a>  discount off all dive courses and a free <a >グッチ 新作</a>  absorb all your sweat and ensure you smell <a >クロエ専門店</a>  Wilful negligence by manifeste servants in <a >Christian Louboutin Outlet</a> dozing off their tent started to shake http://www.louboutinf.com to satisfy the energy efficiency
    out evaluation duesesCourtroom W & Queen <a >christian louboutin shoes</a>  Class 8 electricity network substation <a >ralph lauren</a>  dishwater well away from any water source <a >トリーバーチ 靴</a>  the hostesses is going to be able to <a >Louboutin Outlet</a>  it more for educational coaching Similarly <a >Christian Louboutin Outlet</a> level of the growing child iiiRemovable http://www.louboutinf.com the thighs Your child should be in a

Rowboats left a comment on 12/23/2010 at 12:15 PM:

This is an amazing home and an amazing post. While she may look like an older Elizabeth Taylor to some, I embrace it. Kate Spade is the last link to understated, classic, feminine elegance of Jackie and Grace. Her clothing line was heaven sent when J.Crew went haywire. Thank you so much for this!

ACH left a comment on 12/18/2010 at 12:56 PM:

Always love seeing pictures of the Spade home.  I agree it doesn’t look like the most “livable” home I’ve seen featured, but it’s nice peak at nevertheless.

South Africa Professor left a comment on 12/15/2010 at 2:46 AM:

My wife and I have been fighting over this look for years. I take a traditional victorian view that “more” is never too much in putting objects, books and framed pieces out for display. She is more of a minimalist. Hopefully, these photos of this lovely apartment will allow me to finally carry the day.

La Maison Fou left a comment on 12/14/2010 at 10:39 AM:

So very Smart…...
    I was perusing the Selby at Barneys the other day when in NYC….. I am thinking a must have to read and see!
    This apt is so smart and yet so attainable as well! I could see myself living there, I love how the hallway is a room in iteslf, not just a transition space!
    Leslie

trip left a comment on 12/13/2010 at 3:00 PM:

Nice use of wallpaper.

Andy M. left a comment on 12/13/2010 at 8:41 AM:

Just gorgeous.

James P. Adams left a comment on 12/12/2010 at 8:50 PM:

Amazing! Beautiful! Maybe someday I’ll live in something like that too….
    Here’s to dreamin’

bunny left a comment on 12/12/2010 at 12:09 AM:

i love their home too. sort of looks like mine. the vintage cigarette collection was interesting. some candy, some real - all colorful. it still feels weird that kate spade isn’t at kate spade.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/11/2010 at 10:24 PM:

Beautiful apartment. I love all the details.

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/11/2010 at 7:57 PM:

I was going to commwn on the kitchen, but robdarko beat me to it. I will add on that point stating how welcoming it is and how it atracts light. In any home, of any walk of life, the kitchen should be the focal point of the home. Great photos; shot through an equality lens no doubt, ha!

Shawn left a comment on 12/11/2010 at 12:16 PM:

Reminds me of The Royal Tenenbaums.  I really like it.  Definitely stays in confines of classic decorating but shows their eccentricities.  Awesome pictures.

Tito left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 10:23 PM:

I was wondering when the Spade’s are going to do a garage sale, wow what a dream home!!!!

Hoot left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 8:03 PM:

Dear Mr. Castlebury,

Great post.  This is a prime example of the “not decorated look”, well, to me it’s not.  It doesn’t look like a decorator came in and “finished” the place. It’s a look that isn’t ” a look”. 
    It looks comfortable and stylish but without being pretentious.  I love it and thanks for posting this.  I truly enjoyed it.

Regards,

Hoot

AEV left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 7:19 PM:

Great style - I love the “collections” nature of it….personal, interesting, fine tuned and elegant.

quintessence left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 6:27 PM:

This was such a fabulous feature. I think it was so popular in the blogosphere not just because it’s great looking but because it so expresses their personalities. And did you see the series of videos of them on plum TV? Also fun - Spade & Co. “office”, Southampton and NYC!

tammy left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 3:34 PM:

Their place is so elegant, welcoming, and unpretentious.  It’s the kind of house that you can admire but feel comfortable in it without fear of breaking anything.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 3:15 PM:

AMAZING JUST AMAZING!!!

robdarko left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 3:01 PM:

This is simply exquisite.  I love their kitchen.

john lexington left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 2:34 PM:

nice crib! have to check out this article at selby. thanks keep up the good work!

The Geography Badge left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 1:39 PM:

Another gem from Todd Selby, the glow so many of the pictures have is wonderful.

• Perfect Game

Miscellany  

Dec 9, 2010 | Permalink (14) View/Leave Comments

G. Smart left a comment on 12/11/2010 at 4:49 PM:

I like this post. Preppy is fun. Castleberry, you are awesome and so is Unabashedly Prep.

Tito left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 10:21 AM:

Fit is everything, bottom line.  The lady looks nice and that’s it. God bless Mr. Hilfiger and his family.  The man gets much respect around the world.  Some people are bashing him like they hang out together or something.  Let’s feel proud of his work as an American designer, please.

teversole left a comment on 12/10/2010 at 1:27 AM:

This is my first post and I never imagined it would be on something like this photo, but here goes.  I remember when Rugby first came online and I clicked through polo.com and was so confused. I didnt like the clothes and thought they looked like costumes. I thought who in the world would wear this? I have always liked RL and Polo but it was hard for me to find clothes in the line that fit me. I am short, toned and muscular. Polo was either too big, sleeves were too long, whatever. This is before I could afford to have my clothing tailored. One day I saw a rugby shirt that I really liked, so I bought it. I was amazed at the fit, the quality, and how fun and refreshing it was. It was so different than anything out there. Living in Kentucky I am surrounded by UK athletics wear and Abecrombie and Fitch, neither of which I find interesting. Over time I started to like the sport coats and pants the Rugby line was producing, as well as the oxford shirts. They actually fit me perfectly. The line started to look less costumey to me. Over the years Rugby as grown and I think my interest in fashion and dressing well as grown with it. This fall the line has been tops. I think its finally coming into its own which is what I imagine RL had in mind for it. I have been both inspired and impressed. Never would I have imagined myself to be someone that would wear sport coats and oxfords, or be so into ties and belts. In fact, my adoration for Rugby is what lead me to this blog as FEC did some guest shoots for Rugby. To say that Rugby or RL is a copy of anything is misguided I think, but thats my opinion. I think the line is young and refreshing, and I have introduced many of my friends to it. In fact Rugby was my gift of choice for Christmas gifts. That being said I can see how others can be critical of Rugby because I once was. And Im sure everyone has their own personal label preference. Kudos to Rugby for helping to introduce a new generation of youth to a better style. I also dont understand the debates on clothing trying to convey a lifestyle. I dont look at the lines and think ‘wow people will think Im an Ivy Leaguer’ if I wear that! Mostly people just compliment me on what Im wearing.

JMW left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 6:31 PM:

Frankly, I like it!

michael left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 5:51 PM:

Wow, another sharp outfit made amazing by the beautiful woman who is wearing it.

Peter left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 4:21 PM:

I think all of us wish that more ladies would dress like this. It’s a step in the right direction and a huge leap from the streetwalker look that seems to have captured many of today’s young women.

More importantly, that baseball glove is to die for. I need to pressure my dad to give me his mid-1950’s Rawlings Stan Musial “trapeze” glove; I’d love to use it for a game of catch. Or to wear around town with my crested blazer.

Kathie left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 3:53 PM:

I am so in love with this look.

Tweedy McElbowpatches left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 3:49 PM:

Cute girl/pic.

SKIP left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 3:11 PM:

If you can find any fault with this PYT, please look in the mirror.  PERFECT GAME INDEED!!

bunny left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 2:03 PM:

the ancient bat really makes the picture. the text made me laugh cuz when i was very little i remember getting the words hippie, yuppie and preppy confused.

mjl left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 12:00 PM:

here’s what’s cool about this.  i can’t figure out (and don’t care to) if this ad is from the present or from 1984.  that’s what i like about this ‘prep style’ thing going around.  it’s nothing new, but the same stuff i’ve (we’ve) been wearing since i ditched my baby onesie.

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 11:38 AM:

Not a fan of tommy, but at least with the latest ads, it seems that he finally gets it, that the market wants preppy aesthetic, not gangster, and if he wants a portion of it, he better regroup and redesign. This is a great ad.

chris W. left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 10:32 AM:

I don’t know what I envy more… her ability to pull off the sock+cuffed trousers look, or that beautiful, tousled hair!

Robin left a comment on 12/9/2010 at 10:19 AM:

I’ve seen this ad before, it’s one of my favorites.

• A Preppy Is…

Miscellany  

Dec 8, 2010 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

cassdy k left a comment on 1/2/2011 at 10:56 PM:

“sprezzatura” elements of your style that appear to be happy accidents.

a lot of people try to emulate the effortless cool and smart look of a prep. but sometimes, some people over do it.

Elizabeth V. left a comment on 12/11/2010 at 9:51 PM:

Tye Magee, your post made my day, LOL.

Victoria left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 1:40 PM:

Fabulous.

Angel left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 11:35 AM:

I agree, you can pull it off or you can’t. Its the American Dream I guess.

Tye Magee left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 11:29 AM:

A prep is someone with enough money and audacious floppy hair to carry off bold colours and tweed, often combined without looking like a fool.

Marie left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 11:10 AM:

I tried very hard. LOL It was never meant to be. Nevertheless, I like this blog:)

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 9:36 AM:

You either got or you don’t. Your blog proves you’ve got it.

• Lotuff & Clegg Duffle

Style  

Although Duffel, Belgium may not be on your radar while planning your weekend tryst, the bag hailing from this little town should be. Two or three nights don’t warrant a small suitcase, but the utilitarian duffle fits the bill brilliantly. Though traditionally rendered in canvas, the Lotuff brothers, and legendary leather artist Frank Clegg craft some of the most beautiful renditions in leather. “Finally I’m at a point in my life where I can, with Frank, craft items we are both proud to show our friends,” claims Joe as we finger a new arrival of vegetable tanned leathers in chestnut, chocolate, and green.

The factory is more like a huge workshop. Clegg's tools are strewn about the table where he’s installing brass hardware on a bag. Their premium quality vegetable-tanned leather bags are handcrafted in Fall River, Massachusetts with passion, conviction, and meticulous artistry. The result is simply beautiful. Though understated in its sized-to-carry-on design, my Lotuff & Clegg duffle* has garnered high praise from New England to New York, Dallas to D.C. Authentic, luxurious yet classic. You can either tell the difference or you can’t. And like your favorite pair of khakis, these bags only get better with age.

Leather Duffle Travel Bag ($790)

“The full grain, tumbled, vegetable-tanned leather you see here is distinctly ours, perfectly suited to its intended purpose. What you end up with is worth any effort that goes into it.”    —Frank Clegg

*courtesy of Lotuff & Clegg

Dec 7, 2010 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

chad left a comment on 9/22/2011 at 3:45 PM:

Holy crap have they jacked the prices up on their stuff?  The totes used to be dramatically cheaper.

NMR left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 9:31 AM:

Beautiful duffle.  I’ll second Tom’s comment on the LL Bean Signature duffle.  For the price its a great value, looks great, and appears very well made.  I love mine.

Jake left a comment on 12/8/2010 at 8:02 AM:

I think the blogger should do a piece on Filson.

Tom Bosché left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 10:40 PM:

This is an excellent duffle, and I appreciate L & C’s quality and dedication to “Made in America” goods. However, if you are inclined to obtain an excellent duffle, AND do the world some good, check out the L.L. Bean Signature Vacation Bag for $225 (http://www.llbean.com/llbeansignature/llb/shop/66939?subrnd=1&parentCategory=505904&feat=505904-sigtn&cat4=505903), then donate the extra $500 you save to Mercy Corps’ efforts in Haiti (http://www.mercycorps.org/countries/haiti).  Great bag, good works ... can’t go wrong.

Emily left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 7:32 PM:

I’d probably give my right arm for one of these.

D. Phillips left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 5:46 PM:

Fred,

Great post on an excellent company.  World class products with the oft-forgotten touch of customer service.  Keep on promoting great companies like Lotuff and Clegg and the dedicated people behind them.  Many of us appreciate your work.

pansma left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 5:45 PM:

Please. Please. Please.  Don’t forget your socks!!!

dam9x left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 2:42 PM:

FEC - that looks like a real killer bag.  I like pat s’s comment about a weekend’s worth of items.  Your edits have been on a roll recently.  Perhaps, you could do a post with some of the best weekend get away items, as in a bag, versatile sport coat, and some other go to items….

Richard Ross left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 2:39 PM:

This bag looks like it smells really good.

Joe Lotuff left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 12:53 PM:

Dear Fred,
    Thank you for kind words.  We appreciate the opportunity to introduce your readers to our company.  Pleased to be manufacturing in the US and happy to be making products we are proud of.  Look forward to seeing you soon.
    All the best,
    Joe

Elmo left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 12:39 PM:

Good looking bag, but not as sweet as a Cravath duffel.

sunday ibok left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 12:08 PM:

obsessed…

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 12:04 PM:

@Tweedy McElbowpatches—Joe Lotuff of Lotuff & Clegg sent me this duffle travel bag three months ago.  I often do not disclose what is sent to me courtesy of a company or what is purchased by me simply because everything I feature on this site I own and stand behind.  It’s my edit…and if I don’t believe in it and own it, you will not see it on Unabashedly Prep.

Tweedy McElbowpatches left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 11:52 AM:

Love the bag - but was this $800 piece comped to you?  Might be worth noting if so since it’s been featured so much on this site.

pat s left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 11:46 AM:

Looking nice; good job packing.  Might I ask what else you have in there.  It would be interesting to see what constitutes a weekends worth of attire and accessories for you.

Kenneth left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 10:41 AM:

Agreed well done sir..the bag is amazing.(See I am not an ass about anything but music- bit of a snob when it come to that- sorry)

Angel left a comment on 12/7/2010 at 10:21 AM:

So nice, very true about leather, if you get someone well made, it can truly last forever. I use my blue cavas Tommy weekend duffle for the short trips. I see you got your shine safely protected there with those shoe bags.

Well done sir as always.

Angels Point of View - Street Fashion Blog

• Newer Posts Older Posts