• Redford

Style | Culture  

Robert Redford is one of the most distinguished gentlemen left from old Hollywood. He ruled the 70s and is perhaps best known for his title role in F. Scott Fitzgerald’s The Great Gatsby. Actor, film director, producer, businessman, model, environmentalist and philanthropist, he embodies the American dream. Here, Redford is wearing a pea coat in New York City on the set of his 1975 film Three Days of the Condor. The naval classic is the ideal coat to battle the seasonal nor’easter. Flip your collar in the eye of the storm then pair Wayfarers or aviators to battle the aftermath’s UV rays.

Jan 31, 2011 | Permalink (13) View/Leave Comments

Chad left a comment on 2/9/2011 at 9:02 PM:

The Natural!  Plus, get your old timey baseball caps at J.Crew…while supplies last.

Kyle Rugby James left a comment on 2/1/2011 at 11:21 PM:

Robert was never really known for the great gatsby. He’s done a bunch of other films worth noting, however. Have you actually seen any of them?

patgig left a comment on 2/1/2011 at 5:07 PM:

back in the day he was condemned by the Cinema crowd as a lightweight pretty boy. It wasn’t until he promoted his leftist views that he became acceptable to the artsy crowd. That’s show biz.

Glenn Kimmell left a comment on 2/1/2011 at 12:57 PM:

Great movie! Redford…what wouldn’t look good on him. A classic!

Kiki left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 11:05 PM:

@Givemeindiana - “he was a short guy”, excuse me but Bob is very much alive

ssn left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 10:44 PM:

nice post my man. i did one last month with a similar photo from the same set. i don’t get much use out of dad’s old pea coat here in south texas, but having just spent a week in chicago i must say that i’m glad it sits in my closet, waiting to be called into action.

http://amatourist.blogspot.com/2010/12/standard-issue.html

bunny left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 7:40 PM:

i’d love to see a just-clothes montage version of the great gatsby, ralph lauren looks.

J left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 7:02 PM:

The Great Gatsby is actually among his lesser known and more poorly reviewed films.  Any movie buff and Redford fan will tell you Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid figures far more prominently in today’s fashion industry.

Angel left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 4:47 PM:

Totally agree, the pea coat is a never going way classic. I did however trade mine in for a single breasted style coat, but none the less the pea coat is king in the winter time. one side-note - It must be post something about coats on your style blog day. Your talking coats, Scott Schuman has coats mentioned on his blog, I as well. Random.

Angels Point of View - Street Style Blog

Givemeindiana.tumblr.com left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 4:20 PM:

One of the best things of all his looks is how they elongate him.  He was a short guy but always came off as intense and powerful.  He played taller than his frame.  Also anyone who stared in the original Twilight Zone is good with me.

Joey Dee left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 3:42 PM:

Great choice! I cannot recall a robert redford film that disapoints, outside of the horse whisperer. I really enjoyed lions for lambs, and the role he played as well.

Max left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 3:07 PM:

The Sting!  Spy Game!

Educator left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 3:03 PM:

LOVE this classic look!

• Matt Wertz

Music & Books  

As a kid in Liberty, MO, Matt Wertz grew up with aspirations of designing shoes, but when he started writing songs his freshman year of college, he realized that it was actually music that he wanted to pursue. He cut his teeth on the college circuit and eventually settled in Nashville. Wertz’s personal style is grounded in his southern prep roots. Here, in a Billy Reid patch pocket jacket and denim, Wertz embodies relaxed southern-bred luxury. You can pick up his new album Weights & Wings on March 15, 2011.

Image via Steven Taylor (enlarge)

Jan 28, 2011 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Sam left a comment on 1/28/2011 at 4:28 PM:

I’m a huge fan of his music, and it’s awesome to see Matt on UP!

Megan left a comment on 1/28/2011 at 11:28 AM:

I have been listening to Matt for years since my best friend in high school found him randomly on Myspace one night. Such a beautiful (and sexy) voice! Can’t wait for his new album!

• Matchbook

Miscellany  

Personal style is something I have been keenly aware of as early as 10 years old when I was running around in white denim with no break. Praise [or blame] my mother for much of my sartorial awareness. Hollywood also deserves a sliver of credit; 80s Hollywood, specifically. Class, Dead Poets Society and Back to the Future all had profound impacts on me. Recently, for their inaugural January 2011 issue, Matchbook asked what film has had the greatest influence on my personal style.

Matchbook is an online lifestyle publication catering to women who value eccentricity over convention, love to throw dinner parties but are known to burn the roast occasionally and are smart, but never a show-off. Co-founded by Katie Armour and Jane Lilly Warren, their field guide to a charmed life seeks to inspire women around the globe to design a life they adore.

Jan 27, 2011 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Derek left a comment on 9/28/2013 at 5:50 PM:

Bemoaning the loss of the polo under oxford look.  But then again, I haven’t really seen (or worn that combo) it since the 80s.  Cool modern update (at least in my book) to that look (sorta)?  Oxford under a rugby shirt, both untucked.  With khakis and a herringbone tweed blazer.

Movies that come to mind on this subject:

School Ties
    Class
    St. Elmo’s Fire
    Making the Grade

...any 80s Brat Pack movie for that matter….

Glenn Kimmell left a comment on 2/4/2011 at 12:48 PM:

Personally the movie “Making the Grade” is totally lame and painful to watch! Does a total disservice to the Prep Persona. I recommend the movie “School Ties” or Whit Stillman’s “Metropolitan”.

Grant K. Gibson left a comment on 2/3/2011 at 12:21 AM:

I loved seeing your name and quote in Matchbook.
    Loving the new publication.

grantkgibson.blogspot.com

Doogie left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 3:05 PM:

One of the best movies of my childhood.  Some of my favorite moments:

When Eddie shows up at school and Rand wishes he could be anywhere else.

Palmer brushing his teeth with beer.

How each time he goes to the dean, Biff is always wearing an ascot and blazer.

Good quotes:
    Preppy come lately (Polo), preppy come never (some no-name brand), preppy forever (Izod Lacoste—before the split)

You must learn to love pink and yellow.  Always wear enough layers to remind you that you have armpits, and socks, well only wear them to a wedding and then only if its your own.

Palmer reading the book “this Emily Post doesn’t know anything about etiquitte, there is no section on farting”.

Eddie to Rand—- You actually paid for this room?  Rand back to him “you actually paid for those clothes?”

Eddie to ducks in the fountain—“Yo ducks, are you preppy or regular?”

Overall, great movie, great clothing style.

John left a comment on 1/29/2011 at 7:29 AM:

Very apt choice! Probably the preppiest 80s movie there is. I love the breakdance scene where all the girls in Fair Isle sweaters and kilts are swooning over the bad boy. And the oxford-over-polo look is definitely one of the great forgotten looks of the era. Everyone at my school was doing it, especially the girls. Even in preppy circles it’s all but disappeared, or is done backwards now—polo over oxford. Seems completely counterintuitive!

Elizabeth Ruddell left a comment on 1/29/2011 at 1:59 AM:

Yes, “Making the Grade” is like the Preppy Handbook come to life…My favorite quote from the movie-
    Palmer Woodrow: I’m an exchange student (burp)..from Slobovia!

Calle left a comment on 1/28/2011 at 6:24 PM:

Make me watch Class. Not really a very good film I would say, but I agree about the style, nice clothes, and it made me want to go to prep school in a strange way.

G. Smart left a comment on 1/28/2011 at 4:33 PM:

Well the film has taught me that a polo looks great under an oxford, I’d never seen that before.

Is there any particular look you like in the film Castleberry ?

G. Smart left a comment on 1/28/2011 at 1:33 PM:

I am watching Making The Grade now, it’s on youtube if anyone is interested.
    Anyway its a great movie and i’m loving the style

Max left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 10:46 PM:

I like the ‘Eat Me’ tape on the loafers.  Since no one really says that anymore I wonder what a moderntime equivalent phrase would be…?

Sara Jane left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 10:43 PM:

It was great seeing you quoted in Matchbook! I have a strong love for the eighties as well.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 5:47 PM:

I agree making the grade has both things cartoons fo what preppy is but also has one of the best styles ever. My other favorite a lot more serius is “Class” and is also good to see many actors on one if his first movies.

• Gangs of New Haven

Miscellany  

Gant Rugger has produced a beautiful short piece for their spring/summer 2011 collection. John Thornley of U.S. Royalty makes another cameo joined on stage by his band in New Haven, CT. The dive bar show, classic Cadillac convertible and morning–after breakfast banquet are the perfect primer to usher in another summer. You can pickup U.S. Royalty's new album, Mirrors, now.

Jan 27, 2011 | Permalink (7) View/Leave Comments

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 11:43 PM:

Love GANT and the Rugger line.  http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/

Joey Dee left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 3:20 PM:

As for indie kids, hipsters, and high fashion, they are all related, as individuals from those genres, intersect all the time, at least that I have noticed. I enjoy when things come together from all over. There are many spins on prep style, some are pure, others are skewed. I enjoy mixing punk and ivy prep, being well heeled and obnoxiously tough all at once! I like this band us royalty, thanks for sharing.

Howie left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 2:34 PM:

Beautiful. Quintessentially summer. However there is no way this was actually shot in New Haven. Gangs of New Haven would be fitting for a real life documentary on the town though. :)

Kat left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 1:58 PM:

The feel of this video is so warm.  I absolutely love it.  Summer please come…now.

Glenn left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 1:42 PM:

Love it!  Thanks FEC.  I can almost smell the Summer air even though I just shoveled 18” of snow.

Cary Randolph left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 12:53 PM:

Much of this was also shot in Newport, RI, last summer.

The Boss left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 12:45 PM:

I find it mildly amusing how much press U.S. Royalty has gotten from Style Bloggers. Am I alone in this sentiment? I mean good for them, but it’s quite entertaining how they have been embraced by an entirely different community.

• Dyed-In-the-Wool

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (enlarge)

Jan 26, 2011 | Permalink (21) View/Leave Comments

christian left a comment on 3/5/2011 at 4:17 AM:

campbell! lookin fly man

Bastien left a comment on 2/2/2011 at 3:10 AM:

Does anyone know where I can get that sweater? It would be much appreciated. This look is the best

bunny left a comment on 1/31/2011 at 7:46 PM:

looking delightful as always, campbell.

The Boss left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 12:49 PM:

Those pants really have the perfect fit. Rugby was really on their game with that pair of trousers. Even though you can’t see from this photo, I believe they came pre-cuffed as well—another great detail.

Rake left a comment on 1/27/2011 at 9:29 AM:

Love the sweater.

Al left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 8:45 PM:

Fred, the post quality these past few weeks has been excellent. Keep up the great work. I’m digging that toggle coat and shawl collar sweater combo.

bob left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 7:53 PM:

Mr. Castleberry
    Why no love for the fleece?  Although I am aware that this is a very “retro” style blog, the fleece has become a staple of the prep winter wardrobe. 
    Thanks

Andrew left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 6:27 PM:

What kind of pants is those?  They titties.

www.casijubilado.blogspot.com

My Affair with Michael Bastian left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 5:16 PM:

I have that coat!  ... http://affairwithmb.wordpress.com/

HedgeFundTrader left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 5:07 PM:

Natural & very clean…...

Wes left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 2:49 PM:

love this outfit…tried to order a pair of bean boots and theyre all back order until atleast march :(

Victoria Griffin left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 1:43 PM:

Good look. Ha something my boyfriend would wear, minus the boots..can’t really get him into those.

Hoot left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 1:33 PM:

Mr. Castlebury,

I love the shawl collar on the sweater especially when it drops down below zero.  That collar can be turned upwards to protect the neck; just a great look all around.

Regards,

Hoot.

Gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 1:29 PM:

Good one. Cool and not forced.

BJP left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 12:51 PM:

Great look. Classic New England winter look….Comfortable, relaxed and unforced style. Nice.

DEX left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 12:45 PM:

Very nice, love those pants, not a fan of the shawl collars but in general the outfit as a whole looks great.

Givemeindiana.tumblr.com left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 12:05 PM:

Love the looseness of the boots.  Don’t know if it is something I can do with the 10” model.

AEV left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 11:10 AM:

Cool shot, dig the sweater a lot….

Tito left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 11:10 AM:

This fellow really executed that outfit, I’m loving the Tweed trousers tucked on the Beans.
    Great ideas to borrow!

Mens Style 101 left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 11:02 AM:

I really dig the trousers.  I have to admit, when done right, I like the pants tucked into the Bean Boots.

www.mensstyle101.blogspot.com

JF left a comment on 1/26/2011 at 10:52 AM:

Good look…

• Older Posts