• Zig-Zag

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Smart Turnout royal artillery tie, leather duffel, linen/silk/wool herringbone jacket.

Jun 30, 2011 | Permalink (24) View/Leave Comments

MJS left a comment on 7/23/2011 at 12:48 PM:

Great look. I have a very similar custom linen blazer I had made off the Rugby version (I’m short and stocky and their clothes don’t fit me well). My question for you is this: I’m going to a summer wedding (directions: wear what you please) on the eastern shore of Lake Michigan in a few weeks. I don’t want to be too dressed up as I know many will not even be wearing ties/jackets, etc. But I wanted to wear a similar look to what you here (possibly w/bow tie). I wasn’t going to wear jeans however. Any other suggestions? I’m new to the world of white bucks and I have yet to wear them, so I wanted to break them out. I guess one could always do some Bill’s Khaki’s but I wanted to know if you had any other ideas. Would Nantucket Red and White Bucks be too much?

Great blog and thanks for all the tips.

- Michael

p.s. - from your posting previously I asked for the Lotuff & Clegg duffle (also shown here). What a wonderful, lifelong gift that was…

Some Dude left a comment on 7/13/2011 at 10:49 PM:

I would like to thank ‘Dave C’ and frankly any service men who served for their country.

David C left a comment on 7/11/2011 at 7:40 AM:

Thanks for the Benson and Clegg link. I was in the Territorial Army for 3 years and am pleased to see that they stock a TA tie. My particular unit do not have a tie, but they do have a rugby shirt and sable belt. PS, Fred, I do not think that there is a particular faux pas to wearing a RA (inspired) tie unless you’re some Walter Mitty sort that follows Remembrance Day parades in London, which we know you’re not! I only take offense when civvies wear DPMs/camo, I feel that is disrespectful. Anyway, enjoy the RA tie, it looks great and most people won’t be able to tell what it represents. I bought a lot of obscure old English Rugby club ties off ebay and a friend joked that I was a posturer. I retorted that there was little chance of me being mistaken as a rugby player, and it beats looking like a fan.

Blair left a comment on 7/3/2011 at 2:22 PM:

Could Mr. Castleberry BE more handsome?

chris w. left a comment on 7/3/2011 at 12:13 AM:

I find FEC extremely well dressed.

Daniel left a comment on 7/2/2011 at 6:47 AM:

Really nice outfit Fred. What jeans is this? Your 501 Levis in rinsed indigo?

Brock left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 9:21 PM:

I bought my first pair of white bucks this summer. I struggle everytime I put them on with what belt to wear. I have some ribbon belts but I don’t think they are proper for work. My wife said I can just wear a plain brown belt, but I dont know. I wish I could just pull it off like you and the other guys I have seen on here.

chris w. left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 8:09 PM:

Here’s me being an American and saying who cares if the colors represent some form of English tradition, FEC can wear ‘em if he so chooses. Like he pointed out, if the Englishmen took the same rule to their wardrobes, they’d be wearing braces with nothing to hook them on.
    This look is great, hands down. You’d get a second look from most women when donning those threads.

Alex left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 4:59 PM:

First off, ill look. I’m trying to find a casual herringbone sportcoat just like that, but rugby is out of the question because they don’t have my size. does anyone know of a place where i can get something similar? jcrew doesn’t have my size either (40R)
    thanks in advance

Joe left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 2:50 PM:

Very well put together.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 1:40 PM:

Nice outfit Fred and that tie is awesome!

fsp left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 12:05 PM:

Great. There is no way to look smarter …

Benn left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 11:46 AM:

Living in SW Florida, this silk/linen herringbone would be perfect for so many events! (despite what nay-sayers have added). F.E., how “natural” are the shoulders? How does the fit compare to Norman Hilton?

seouldout left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 9:19 AM:

Wise choice on a small cuff for the jeans; too many are showing too much ankle with these exaggerated ones.  Sharp jacket.  This is the second time I’ve seen that pocket square; is there a reason you’re showing the letters?  For one who never cleans his white bucks you must be a careful walker… they look quite good having only a wound on the toe.

Raulston left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 7:27 AM:

The buck are superb & the bag tops it all off!

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 7:24 AM:

Excellent. Perfection.

Paul left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 7:01 AM:

You look great. Are your jean’s cuffed? Isn’t that a rare look for you?

Andrew B. left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 4:28 AM:

I had to learn the hard way not wear actual regimental/school ties in England that you weren’t a part of.  Even a repp tie that *resembles* that sort of thing attracts a lot of unwanted attention.

David (from England ) left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 1:49 AM:

Fred, what are you doing up at theis time ? Do you ever come to England ? You would love Jermyn Street for mens clothes , it is soooo English.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 1:40 AM:

@David—If there is a breast pocket on my jacket, I stuff a pocket square in it.

David ( from England ) left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 1:26 AM:

In my opinion, you should not wear a pocket square with a patch pocket. 

I am still thinking of getting some bucks for my summer holidays (Italy) but can’t make up my mind if I should go for white.  And just to prove I am paying attention looking at an older post, yes the jacket is from Rugby.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 1:21 AM:

@Angel—I just hit 30, so you bet I’ll take the 17 year-old comment all day long. As far as my bucks go, I want them looming anything but young. I never clean them…not even at the end of the season. Just let them go.

@Tripp—This jacket is made by Rugby.

Angel left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 12:24 AM:

You know F.E., I’ve yet to meet you in person, but in photos you have the face of a 17 year old! haha.. must be nice.. Anyhoo, Do you typically let your bucks get that many scuffs on them? I know most say its all or nothing on buck care. I like the coat, though it looks like it would be a bit warm for June/July.

Angels Point of View - Street Fashion Photography

Tripp left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 12:00 AM:

is that a Rugby jacket?

• Keep It Short

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: Hermes bracelet, bright colored short (cuffed), gladiator wedge heel that keeps this classic look timely.

Jun 29, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Austin left a comment on 7/6/2011 at 11:50 AM:

looks like a J Crew chambray

Julie left a comment on 7/5/2011 at 8:30 PM:

Agree w/ Kitty.

John left a comment on 7/4/2011 at 8:38 AM:

Not sure I’m crazy about the shoes and bag, but she’s quite lovely and the rest of the outfit is great. Terrific belt—gives the look a nice 70s groove.

seouldout left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 7:42 AM:

What kitty said.

Susan Stripling left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 6:36 PM:

Andy, it is a Marc Jacobs.  Well identified, Spencer! :)

Spencer left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 3:58 PM:

@AndyM That bag looks like a Marc Jacobs “the single” leather bag.

Angel left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 3:50 PM:

Very nice, I like the bright colors, very summery.
    @Rua Lemone, you know I was in Charleston last weekend, I’ll have photos on my site all July from Charleston, might not be prep based but you might like it.

Your starting to getting quit a bit of traffic from Charleston SC now F.E., very cool.

Angels Point of View - Street Fashion Photography

Andy M. left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 8:25 AM:

My girlfriend is hinting strongly that she likes this bag.  Any idea where it’s from?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 6/29/2011 at 11:21 PM:

She’s very cute, with a superb sense of style. Well done.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com

kitty left a comment on 6/29/2011 at 9:32 PM:

From the waist up, she looks great. Shirt is nice, I love her hair color.

• I Love Your Style

Top Drawer | Music & Books  

If there is a more thorough, yet succinct, book for women on developing personal style, I haven't found it.  Amanda Brooks's I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style gets down to brass tacks in a hurry. As a Palm Beach native, her expertise on classic style is particularly insightful. The section devoted to it is spot on. So spot on, in fact, I found it largely applicable to men too.

"In this wonderfully wise book, Amanda Brooks reveals the style secrets of unexpectedly elegant, singular women from all walks of life. It's candid, canny, and cool, much like Brooks herself."

—Anna Wintour
    Editor in Chief, Vogue

Jun 28, 2011 | Permalink (6) View/Leave Comments

J.Miller left a comment on 12/26/2011 at 7:52 PM:

I did not get that one.But i did treat myself to this one
    “Bill of Rites for The American Man"Many thanks for the superb blog.

Amy left a comment on 12/26/2011 at 5:14 PM:

I got this for Christmas from my boyfriend and I can’t put it down! I love it!! Such a wonderful book.

Laura left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 4:36 PM:

I have this book and absolutely love it! When I feel like I’m in a fashion rut, I pull this out for instant inspiration.

Heather left a comment on 7/22/2011 at 12:35 PM:

Just ordered it. Thank you!

Raquel left a comment on 6/29/2011 at 10:51 PM:

I will definitely be checking this book out!

Amanda left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 2:25 PM:

This looks like a must read!

• Wardrobe VI

Dress Code  

It’s the heat of summer and that means it’s time to make good on all those wedding invitations you—rather, your girl—RSVP’d for.  Summer formal can seem a bit daunting given all the fabrics appropriate for such a celebration...especially if the wedding is in the south.  Seersucker? Linen? Lightweight cotton?  Go with wool.  A tropical weight wool goes a long way in keeping you cool.  And grey ensures you only draw attention to yourself on your terms—say, when the seven piece band kicks in.  Pair it with white bucks to let everyone know that, although an impeccable dresser, you don't take yourself too seriously.

Your jacket is breathable, sure, but you're not obligated to keep it on the entire night.  Losing your coat while you burn up the dance floor only means your braces get to show their true colors.  If your moves haven’t already declared “I know what I’m doing,” your braces will.

1. Rugby grey tropical wool trousers
    2. Social Primer for Brooks Brothers reversible silk bow tie
    3. Ralph Lauren silk braces
    4. Rugby silk repp stripe wallet
    5. Smathers & Branson needlepoint flask
    6. Jack Robie gingham dress shirt
    7. Randolph Engineering aviators
    8. Timex Easy Reader with alligator leather strap
    9. Tommy Hilfiger white bucks
    10. Rugby grey tropical wool jacket
    11. Cotton pocket square

Jun 27, 2011 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/2/2011 at 3:32 PM:

@AEV—Much like I will wear a collar pin with a button down collar (unbuttoned), I will wear braces with looped trousers.  I prefer things slightly off…one or two things imperfect about my look at any given time.  That’s a product of my personal style.  I know the rules—and it’s with that knowledge that I occasionally break them.

A Sartorial Virgin left a comment on 7/2/2011 at 5:50 AM:

Absolutely wonderful look.

Joey Dee left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 6:07 PM:

Nice pieces. Love the straps especially.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 9:31 AM:

@Seouldout—The last time I checked, drinks aren’t served until the reception.

seouldout left a comment on 7/1/2011 at 8:54 AM:

Much of your kit is quite good.  And you have to bring booze to a wedding?!  What are they?  Mormons?  Or just cheap?

Nathan left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 10:28 AM:

What tool do you use to replace the bands on your watch?

PrepFan left a comment on 6/30/2011 at 6:49 AM:

those braces really bring together the outfit! well done!

Ryan left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 3:29 PM:

Just bought a similar pair of men’s sunglasses so this just reaffirmed my faith in the purchase.

AEV left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 11:53 AM:

Great items Fred. Shouldn’t braces only be worn w/o belt loops?

Al left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 7:41 PM:

You could do some serious wedding crashing in this look.

dam left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 2:52 PM:

@David go for the white!  You can bring some Southern style over to old England

Gingham is a great way to add some color to a look…great selection on this one!

NWR left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 12:50 PM:

A+

CHC left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 12:02 PM:

Love the suspenders and flask!

David left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 11:43 AM:

I am thinking about getting some Bucks but not sure I am brave enough to go for white !

CJ Adams left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 10:24 AM:

Love it. Wore an almost identical outfit to a wedding this past weekend. The white bucks make it, in my opinion.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 10:11 AM:

@G.S.O.—Firefly vodka.

G.S.O left a comment on 6/27/2011 at 10:10 AM:

What do you put in that lovely flask ?

• W.J.C. Surtees

Sports  

For a game that was born in prison, racquets is ironically played by an elite few today—if not for any other reason than the scarcity of courts on which to play. All eight courts in the U.S. are at private clubs (e.g. New York's Racquet & Tennis Club on Park Ave).  Racquets began as an 18th century pastime in London's King's Bench and Fleet debtors prison. Its popularity spread beyond prison walls to alleys behind pubs, schools and then the States.  It is played in a 30 x 60 foot enclosed court, with a ceiling at least 30 feet high and bears some resemblance to squash.

No other American dominated racquets like W.J.C Surtees. He reigned as World Racquets Champ from 1972-73 and 1975-1981 (after which the Brits gladly took back the reigns).  And Surtees did it in style—Fred Perry shorts, cable-knit tennis sweater and canvas sneakers.  A man never looked better wearing his championships on his chest.

Jun 24, 2011 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Richard Meyer left a comment on 2/11/2012 at 2:41 PM:

Mr. Surtees is still dressed in an elegant manner.

Sara left a comment on 1/19/2012 at 12:17 PM:

Mr Surtees
    I love the photo of you. You were such a dashing young man and athlete.

ERIII left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 11:00 PM:

nice post, great pic.

Willie Surtees left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 10:27 AM:

Thanks for the kind comments…...actually I am English and came to America after coming down from Oxford in 1970.The photo was taken in 1971 at the Racquet&Tennis; Club in New York. The top emblem on my sweater represents a “blue” for rackets and the one underneath for real tennis,(called court tennis in the US, a game originating in France in the 1600’s spawning lawn tennis in the 1860’s). I got a third “blue” for lawn tennis ; the triple “blue” is quite rare especially in one’s first year ; I missed my squash “blue” by one place !

P.S. left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 7:52 AM:

Andrew B. Is correct - The Oxford University Racquets Club Sweater -

JABL left a comment on 6/28/2011 at 7:51 AM:

I grew up playing both tennis and squash (not raquets) as well as a strange english sport called Fives which started life at Eton school.
    I’m currently covering Wimbledon style on my blog but will definitely write about Fives very soon.
    www.preposity.com

MBB left a comment on 6/26/2011 at 9:21 PM:

This is too funny. Mr. Surtees (Willy to those who have the pleasure of knowing him) is a friend of my family, I’m sure he’ll love to see this, I’m going to pass it on.

Andrew B. left a comment on 6/26/2011 at 2:36 PM:

His sweater looks an awful lot like it says “O.U.R.C.” in which case it would be Oxford University Racquets Club.

You still see a lot of those sweaters around Oxford, mostly for colleges, although the occasional blue as well.

ETS left a comment on 6/26/2011 at 1:04 PM:

I also belong to a club in Boston where racquets is still played regularly.  Dress code is not as enforced but you will still see the traditional white on white throughout the club.

Karena left a comment on 6/26/2011 at 10:52 AM:

I love a man who sticks to tradition!

xoxo
    Karena
    Art by Karena

I have a New, very fashionable Giveaway on my site! Come and see!

Yankee-Whisky-Papa left a comment on 6/25/2011 at 2:48 AM:

At our club in Boston (as with other clubs) dresscode is still strict and enforced. White sweaters, purple bruises, and red welts are all common.

• Older Posts