• Short Supply

Dress Code  

Photographed in Dallas, TX

Noteworthy: Kirk hails from the Atlanta area and embodies the relaxed southern prep mentality as well as anyone I know. This is practically his summer uniform—penny loafer, chino short, gingham sportshirt, and sunglasses. The shorter inseam is a stylish hedge against triple digit heat indexes plaguing the south this summer.

Jul 29, 2011 | Permalink (25) View/Leave Comments

Antome left a comment on 1/14/2012 at 12:06 PM:

I love the loafers with shorts.

C.L. Young left a comment on 8/4/2011 at 10:41 AM:

I like this look, and yes, it works well for us Texas gentlemen surviving the triple-digit heat this summer. This look makes me want to wear my yellow gingham shirt today!

Bill left a comment on 8/2/2011 at 10:58 PM:

F.E. - walked past you this past Friday at Northpark; we should’ve stopped to say hello. You looked great!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/1/2011 at 11:39 AM:

@B—Welcome.  That particular dress is by Rugby.  I’m glad you enjoyed the post on my sons.  All the best.

B left a comment on 8/1/2011 at 11:31 AM:

Love your blog!  Found it a couple of days ago and went straight through it, devoured the whole thing in one sitting just like that! LOL… I’m writing to ask whether you know who the maker or brand of dress girl is wearing in the post “Bookworm”  from on October 2009… Found the pic on your Tumbler, I know I won’t find that dress now but I’m hoping to find something similar from maker.  Oh, and BTW, love the pics of your sons… such a loving, thoughtful post…

Thank you so much!

B

Jammypup left a comment on 7/30/2011 at 4:21 PM:

I once tweeted (with photographic evidence) that men in shorts and loafers always looked odd. Like they were wearing slippers. F.E. replied that most men wore the wrong loafers and it could look right. These look right, as does the whole outfit.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/30/2011 at 1:36 PM:

@Victor McMillan—Cole Haan.

Victor McMillan left a comment on 7/30/2011 at 1:32 PM:

who makes the loafers?

Landon left a comment on 7/30/2011 at 2:59 AM:

While the shorts may be a bit short for my personal taste, overall the outfit works. He sells it without looking like he’s trying too hard.

Hilton left a comment on 7/30/2011 at 12:25 AM:

I like the green gingham shirt on this gentleman. I wore a gingham shirt today, although it was short-sleeved (egad).

Kionon left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 9:47 PM:

The shoes make this outfit. They really do.

Ace G. left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 8:42 PM:

The shorts are amazing. Perfectly designed, from the length to the color. Where would I be able to find a pair?

DBCC left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 7:00 PM:

@AEV shoot me an email when you get a second - chris@dressedbycc.com - I’d love to connect.  Not trying to sell you anything.  Thanks.

@FEC - love the shot.  The short inseam is spot on.  A nice break from the 11” inseams that are seen all over Boston.  How tall would you say this guy is?

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 6:57 PM:

Excellent, nice shot, FEC.

I like everything about this photo: his haircut, especially, but also the ‘short’ shorts.

I too sometimes wear shorts with a shorter inseam, mainly for the air-conditioning effect but also because they showcase my muscular rugby player thighs, which at times elicit curious reactions from the ladies.

http://admiralcod.blogspot.com/

AEV left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 5:18 PM:

The shorter inseam is on point. I’d opt for a more classic, less fashion-y loafer, but that’s just my personal style/opinion - still beats the all too prevalent flip flop….

DEX left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 4:47 PM:

Similar to my go to look in the summer as well, except I tuck and usually choose oxford cloth over gingham.

Howie left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 2:53 PM:

Perfect. Well dressed and relaxed at the same time.

Tito left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 2:46 PM:

Perfect shorts length, now that how is done!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 1:30 PM:

@Neil—Hook, Line, & Sinker in uptown Dallas.

Neil left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 1:29 PM:

Where was this taken? Curious about the vintage outboards…

Daniel left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 1:23 PM:

Simple and understated. I much prefer uniforms to costumes!

Richard Ross left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 1:02 PM:

Such beauty and grace.

cam left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 12:39 PM:

this works

Thom left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 12:30 PM:

shorts by? ralph lauren?

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 12:08 PM:

Classic, relaxed with class. Nice shot.

• A Young Man and the Sea

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: I photographed Jacob last summer for Rugby. He’s one of the characters down at their University store in New York. While we were talking about his nautical artist look, he cited inspiration from author Ernest Hemingway who he was reading at the time. I find myself approaching personal style in much the same way—culling inspiration from my own style icons as the sartorial cocktail gradually becomes my own.

Jul 28, 2011 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

Trailer Trad left a comment on 8/1/2011 at 6:11 PM:

Good look. The bandanna’s spot on.

Thom left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 6:34 PM:

I have a quick question regarding the rolled shorts.  I don’t personally care for rolling them outside the short,  but i’ve found that a single roll inside the short is an effective way to shorten the length of a given pair or shorts without it being so obvious.  Your thoughts?

JMH left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 12:31 PM:

While I would not personally wear what the gentleman photographed is wearing, I appreciate the self-confidence and sense of style he has to wear it and be photographed in it.

UP and FEC have had a positive influence on my personal style over the past few years I have been lurking and occasionally posting, and I am grateful to both him and those who are willing to be photographed by him.

Thank you.

Emmy left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 7:19 PM:

If everyone dressed the exact same, wouldn’t that be really really dull? In fact, isn’t that exactly what this blog is about - traditional prep modified to fit personal style?

TJH left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 6:33 PM:

Fashion is all about personal expression. I might not personally wear everything that I see on a blog but that doesn’t mean that there is anything objectively wrong with the look. There are no rules in style, only guidelines.

MTT left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 4:16 PM:

Bandanas can be useful. I live in a high desert climate where temperatures reach triple digits regularly. A damp bandana around the neck is quite handy during the summer.

AEV left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 3:45 PM:

The navy linen shirt, khaki shorts, a watch, and a boat shoe alone is a strong enough look on its own.

Thom left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 3:33 PM:

Great look.

MTT left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 2:36 PM:

Good use of accessories to add detail to a relatively simple color combination.

Glenn Elliott left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 1:33 PM:

Excellent look!  Love the bandanna and Nantucket Knotworks bracelet.

CC left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 1:33 PM:

I enjoy the shirt, the belt, and the setting of the photograph - nice effort, Fred.

• That’s A Wrap

Dress Code  

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: J.McLaughlin zebra print wrap dress, Jack Rogers Navajo Sandal. I love prints on ladies, whether it be on a maxi, shift, scarf or tunic. I think it's the appreciation of the go-to-hell disposition in a woman more than anything—it says she's fun before you ever meet her.

Jul 27, 2011 | Permalink (5) View/Leave Comments

JT left a comment on 7/29/2011 at 8:33 PM:

THIS DRESS IS GREAT.  IT REMINDS ME OF THE ALBUM ART TO BEACH HOUSE’S “TEEN DREAM” ALBUM.

Matt left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 7:48 PM:

Preppy redheads. Life doesn’t get any better.

trip left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 2:03 PM:

I think she looks great, though I don’t see much “go-to-hell” going on here.

Emily left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 12:30 PM:

I have to say I really love this dress! Maybe a white belt would of looked better, but the sandals make up for that I think. Overall very nice! and perfect for summer :)

-Emily (www.urbanadventurer.com/blog)

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 10:19 AM:

Great outfit! Lovely dress :)

• The Denim Jacket

Style  

The denim jacket has been around almost as long as the first pairs of jeans peddled by Levi Strauss. And it isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. It’s distinctly American, yet almost always fashionably out of fashion. A wide range of subcultures, including greasers, mods, rockers, hippies, and skinheads embraced it at one point or another (I sported mine as early as 5th grade). While its Take Ivy documentation in the 60s was certainly overshadowed by varsity jackets, madras shorts, and penny loafers, the denim jacket was at home on Ivy League campuses too.

Levi's Trucker Jacket, $68

This summer, everyone from Gant Rugger to Abercrombie & Fitch to Michael Bastian (for Gant) turned out designer versions of the American classic at designer prices. Opt for the original Levi’s offering. It’s a fraction of the price, and what’s more, embodies an untouchable authenticity (a classic since its introduction in 1962). The updated slim fit sits closer to the body while hitting right below the belt. I tend to dress mine up like a sport coat—silk pocket square, lapel pin, etc.—to play up the high/low approach. Levi’s offers a variety of washes but stick with the medium wash for a timeless piece you’ll actually be able to pass down to your sons. And although the denim jacket isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, don’t let it get near a pair of jeans.

Jul 26, 2011 | Permalink (23) View/Leave Comments

Winslow left a comment on 1/9/2012 at 3:49 PM:

Where can I buy that awesome pocket square?

Steven Taylor left a comment on 9/11/2011 at 10:19 AM:

This is very Kanye West. I like that about it.

t. left a comment on 8/4/2011 at 3:56 PM:

What size is the jacket and what size is the shirt?

I’m a little confused about sizing jacket vs. my shirts.

Paul left a comment on 8/1/2011 at 5:02 PM:

Back in the ‘80’s I wore mine with punk-rock-band pins and safety pins on it. With Khakis. And Bean Blutchers. I felt I could pull it off because Lisa Birnbach wrote about the “Prep-Punk” connection in TOPH…

Arnaldo left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 10:08 AM:

I always wondered how my Levis jacket would look with a pocket square. Great way of putting character into the jacket

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 9:21 AM:

@Dan—This madras shirt is by Rugby (and reversible).

Dan left a comment on 7/28/2011 at 8:24 AM:

Who makes that madras shirt? Looks a lot like something from Rugby.

saprof left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 4:06 AM:

Brooks Brothers has Levi’s made in America jeans from imported fabric.

Tyler P. left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 2:15 AM:

I am loving the shirt underneath. The girlfriend isn’t a big fan of madras shirts, but I plan on sneaking one past her one of these days.

Tallulah left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 11:59 PM:

Great look, FEC. I’m especially intrigued by the lapel pin…it looks like a soccer badge…I know you play, but whom do you support?

Seth B. left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 8:52 PM:

This is a wonderful look, however no one pulls it off better than Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig in the Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa music video. Real class

Kiel James Patrick left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 5:40 PM:

Is this a 70505 Big E replication?  They did a great job on wash and details.

Joey Dee left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 5:14 PM:

Rethinking denim jackets now, the pairing with grey wool gentry flannel slacks appeals to me. Thanks

Ad Ralston left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 4:22 PM:

I looove that you’ve stuffed a pocket square in there! I’ve been doing the same for some time and I’m glad to see my swag jacked on here :) However, I disagree that one can’t wear a denim jacket with jeans. A medium wash denim jacket (preferably vintage and broken in) can look awesome w/ a pair of dark raw denim jeans. Just gotta wear other   fabrics with it like a silk tie or a tweedy sportcoat to counteract the canadian tuxedo effect.

Emily left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 3:08 PM:

I love denim jackets! I think they would look good with either khaki or dark washed jeans.

-Emily (www.urbanadventurer.com/blog)

Richard Ross left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 1:50 PM:

I’m totally going to wear mine with jeans. Why not?

And bro, as we’ve discussed, I can’t wait to give my kids this jacket years from now. It will be full of stories and a sense of trouble making when they slip it on.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 1:22 PM:

@Matt—My jacket is the “Ghost” wash.

@Ad Ralston—You are certainly free to wear the denim jacket how you wish.  As I mentioned earlier, the denim jacket is tricky enough with how much it has ping-ponged throughout pop culture…pairing it with jeans sends a message I do not endorse.  You leave the prep-o-sphere when you pair it with jeans.  I’m not exactly sure how you would squeeze you, your shirt, and your denim jacket into a tweed sport coat though.

@Tito—I don’t know if Levi’s still makes any of their products in the U.S.  If they did, this jacket probably wouldn’t be $68.  As an aside, “Made in the USA” doesn’t always mean “quality”.  It just means someone in the USA has a job making a denim jacket.  I am not too interested in sacrificing quality for the sake of an American keeping a factory job.

Matt left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 1:02 PM:

Loving the pairing with that madras shirt. Is this jacket the “Moulded Blue” or “Ghost” color from their selection?

Ad Ralston left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 12:21 PM:

I looove that you’ve stuffed a pocket square in there! I’ve been doing that for some time and I’m glad to see my swag jacked on here :) However, I disagree that one can’t wear a denim jacket with jeans. A medium wash denim jacket (preferably vintage and broken in) can look awesome w/ a pair of dark raw denim jeans. Just gotta wear other fabrics with it like a silk tie or a tweedy sportcoat to counteract the canadian tuxedo effect.

Tito left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 12:05 PM:

Great article Fred. I remember years ago when my 550’s just to say made in USA. Do you know of any places that Levi’s are still made in the US?

rSl left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 11:56 AM:

I was just looking at me denim jackets yesterday. This heatwave has killed all opportunities to wear them, and I was getting excited about the fall.

I have a levi’s trucker in dark wash, a levi’s vintage stone wash, a surprisingly solid one from express about 10 years ago and a white levi’s. I want one with a sheerling liner.

It’s as timeless as a pair of 501’s. You may go a year our so without them (I was very blazer exclusive last year) but it is in more often than not.  All of mine will see heavy rotation this fall, as I pair them with khakis,  colored chinos and white denim.

I usually put a boutonniere and a button or two on the lapel as tge flap pockets don’t lend their selves to a pocket square. I love wearing it to a party or out with a tie or bow.  It’s the perfect blend of ruggedness and sophistication that I think embodies my personal style.

There it’s something so cool and gth about a dude in khakis with a denim jacket done right.

And I agree… Only rock n rollers and cowboys are allowed to double up on denim.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 11:45 AM:

@TJH—I pair mine regularly with chinos.  You could also easily pair them with a grey wool trouser.

TJH left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 11:41 AM:

Love the denim jacket, picked one up in the sales almost by accident a month ago and it’s seen some pretty heavy use and has started to fade in beautifully. What do you guys pair it with?

• Biff

Dress Code  

"A nickname is a gift. Whether given deliberately by the family or unintentionally by a peer, it bespeaks a certain In-ness and inaccessibility to outsiders. It's like being tapped for a secret society, minus the degrading rituals. It's tangible proof that you've gained entrance into an exclusive camaraderie."

—Lisa Birnbach, The Official Preppy Handbook

Photographed in Newport, RI

Noteworthy: nickname (Biff: from any part of name beginning with "B." Blackwell, Burnham, Bartholomew. Biff lives on the tennis court), white bucks, madras jacket, cuffed chino.

While Cooper and I were running around the International Tennis Hall of Fame after Agassi's induction, we both rubbernecked as we passed this gentleman. Specifically, what caught my eye was the ease about which he wore his clothes (i.e. everything wasn't perfect)—and yeah, the madras jumped out at me too. Eighteen seconds later he came up and introduced himself as a regular reader of Unabashedly Prep. I was surprised, yet, at the same time I wasn't.

Jul 25, 2011 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

Landon left a comment on 7/27/2011 at 2:42 AM:

He embodies my favorite elements of prep with his look; comfort and ease are very evident. He probably didn’t spend so much time meticulously preparing his outfit. Rather, he wore comfortable, slightly loose fitting clothes that would keep him cool in the heat. I can digg his style.

Luis Alcaraz left a comment on 7/26/2011 at 11:29 AM:

He looks very cool and relax after all that time in the sun.

Nights left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 11:47 PM:

I’m down with this. He looks like a nice fellow.

Tyler P. left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 11:08 PM:

When wearing a jacket such as this, confidence has to be worn on your sleeve (no pun intended).

GR left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 7:47 PM:

Love the shoes.

Old English left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 7:19 PM:

I am a fan of the blog.

Tim left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 5:50 PM:

I’m just curious really if you were heading for some Ben & Jerry’s?

Biff left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 5:30 PM:

I am OK with a certain amount of ‘unkempt.”  One thing Fred didn’t mention is that it was near 90 degrees that day this picture was taken after we all sat in the sun for a couple of hours for the induction ceremony and Agassi’s (extraordinarily gracious) speech. The shirt is un-ironed, but in a perfect world I would have re-tucked it.

CC left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 3:34 PM:

To echo Tyler P.‘s comments, the fit is unkempt but I am sure it’s the look he was going for.  I like the shoes and the rolling of the pants.  Nice work, Fred.

Tyler P. left a comment on 7/25/2011 at 2:57 PM:

To me, something just feels a bit off. But judging by the article, that’s exactly how it’s supposed to be. Being a strong believer in the, “perfection is possible” saying, it’s not exactly my cup of tea, but I can respect his personal style.

• Older Posts