• Critter Control

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: waxed-cotton jacket, Fair Isle socks, cordovan tassel loafers.

Dec 9, 2011 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

Kathie left a comment on 12/28/2011 at 11:35 PM:

I want a pair of these so bad! NO ONE seems to make these for ladies anymore so I’m going to take some time and try on a pair of mens until I find a pair that fit, or I find a fair that fit ‘good enough’ and have them tailored.

J.Miller left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 10:41 PM:

I was just wondering were the chain guard is on the bike.Those cool pants are going to get all messed up when he rides.

SM left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 9:16 PM:

Love Barbour jackets…except for the price.  Cool pants. I think there’s a fine line between awesome and pretentious (read: douchey) when it comes to these types of bottoms, and these luckily fall into the awesome category.

CDB left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 6:18 PM:

It appears to be the dark forest green version, I have the black one and it is WAY darker than this.

Ames left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 6:12 PM:

Brown shoes with a black jacket though?

GED left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 5:04 PM:

Love this look!  Très chic.

AEV left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 4:53 PM:

I think this look generally works…and I recognize this gent from previous postings. I committed to giving the few old pairs in my closet a break. I like the loafers, but feel it’s busy down bottom with the fair isle and the skull & crossbones patterns. Nice jacket.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 2:34 PM:

I think critter pants look good on people under 25.

cam left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 12:37 PM:

I quite like the chinos, shoes and socks.

Alanna left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 11:43 AM:

What a handsome young man!

Gary-A left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 11:01 AM:

Yep. It’s a Trialmaster (Trial, not trail). I’ve one myself, but I can’t knot the belt like this cool cat! There isn’t enough material to work with. I wonder if he got a belt in a different size….

Snaaby left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 10:13 AM:

@Axel: Looks like the Belstaff Original Trailmaster jacket to me at the J.Crew link.

Axel left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 8:42 AM:

Nice jacket! However, the link leads me to Barbour International Jacket, which doesn’t look quite the same (e.g. chest pockets are different). Any idea of the exact model of the jacket on the pic?

Thanks!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/11/2011 at 11:18 PM:

@Blair—This is indeed in front of Peels.

Blair left a comment on 12/11/2011 at 11:11 PM:

I’m trying to figure out if this is in front of Peels.

• Uniform Warmth

Dress Code | Prep Essentials  

Noteworthy: I'm really digging these shades right now—classic silhouette in a shocking lime green hue. Think of them as go-hell-shades. Wearing your parka off the slopes will keep you just as warm and be right at home over your daily "uniform."

Rig:
    Deja Vu Refinery sunglasses
    • Penfield 60/40 parka
    oxford cloth button down shirt
    repp tie
    Norman Hilton navy blazer
    • Ralph Lauren slide belt w/J.Press brass engine turn buckle
    • Rugby gray flannel trouser
    striped socks
    Bass Weejun penny loafer (hand-painted)

Dec 8, 2011 | Permalink (34) View/Leave Comments

Skyler left a comment on 4/26/2012 at 12:03 AM:

Did you paint the entire shoe or just the stripe? I’m having trouble telling from just this picture, but you Weejuns don’t look very similar to any pictures of Larson’s that I have been able to find.

Fadewa left a comment on 2/19/2012 at 12:50 AM:

I’ve aylaws lived here and I still find general American style a little too laid-back.  I love your blog and your style.  Stick to your guns!

Rebecca left a comment on 12/22/2011 at 4:26 PM:

Love the sunnies!

BEG left a comment on 12/13/2011 at 11:22 AM:

Love most of the look.  The grey flannels/ blue blazer/ repp tie pairing is classic and detailed properly.  Love the belt and I’ll even give the painted loafers a free-pass, since the stripe is nice and subtle.  The parka steals the show in a very utilitarian way, but I guess when it’s “really cold,” form should give way to function.

DEJA VU REFINERY left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 8:49 AM:

In response to Ames: Acrylic paint carefully striped -out with white pencil and tape can indeed create a sophisticated customized Prep School Sports Team touch to your 1920’s elephant leather briefcase or suitcase with buckles and straps, and your sparkling shiny new penny loafers. Acrylic paint will peel off like a band aid when you are tired of the look, and you can re-polish for uniform leather color again for the following semester (new school transfers do happen). I don’t do temporary fashion or trends, so I personally use nail polish which is my 1st choice or oil artists’ paint which is 2nd choice and both have great colors of any stripe, but marine or outdoor paint from the hardware store or the crew team utility cabin is good for less lively hues too. This has been my sockless, loaferless, 2cents.
    Over & Out!
    Jason Pollak
    Founder

Ames left a comment on 12/11/2011 at 11:06 PM:

I definitely like the shoes. Although I assume you can’t polish or condition them due to the paint.

Daniel left a comment on 12/11/2011 at 5:28 PM:

@Mr. Castleberry: Have you ever done a post on hairstyle, shaving, hygiene-type of stuff? I’d be interested on some of your thoughts about hair product, cut, etc. for style! Lovin’ your blog, Sir!

Josephine left a comment on 12/11/2011 at 5:57 AM:

@AEV- I agree with you. Proper dress, and the applied knowledge of dressing properly is so rare as to be a bold fashion statement in and of itself. While I appreciate Mr. Castleberry’s eye for the unexpected pop of color, I personally prefer more subtlety. The site is useful for me in evaluating and re-evaluating my own style preferences.

DEJA VU REFINERY left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 1:17 PM:

My pleasure MR. T. !!!  I’m dillsexic myself, and I pity the fool that tries to correct my typing jibba-jabba!

Dave T. left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 12:49 PM:

Jason, will do, and thank you.  Sorry about the typos.

DEJA VU REFINERY left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 12:46 PM:

Dear “MR. T.”,
    If you would like more info, it is absolutely at your disposal. A mere email inquiry via our “Contact” page on the website will allow us to provide you with some answers to these questions. Most of our customers purchase our luxury mens eyewear as informed consumers already aware of the unimpeachable virtues of DEBONAIR at 1st sight. For the rest, there’s more info available upon request (no “pretty please” necessary too).
    We all look forward to your emails.
    Sincerely,
    Jason Pollak

Tito left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 12:27 PM:

Love this look, a lot of originality which make’s you who you are.
    Keep it coming & let the haters keep on hating!

Dave T. left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 12:15 PM:

@DEJA VU REFINERY Glad that you posted.  I had asked this question earlier.  What is the background of you company?  On visiting your site, there is no information on the history of the company. 

For example, Kiel James Patrick started making the rope bracelets for himself, and then friends.  From there, he honed the design of the bracelets and purchased machinery for production.  Thus, his company was born.

Are your glasses (spectacals) made in Asheville?  What value is there to entice me to purchase these glasses at $300.00?  I (and I would think others) need more than they are “very nice” and flowery language on a website.

Thanks.

DEJA VU REFINERY left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 10:54 AM:

In my opinion those sunspectacles are very nice indeed.

Adam left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 10:28 PM:

The painted loafers are subtle and cool.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 1:53 PM:

@SM—If I have to explain to you why I painted my loafers, then you don’t “get it.” Think about the following quote…

“Luxury isn’t about spending the most money, it’s about having what no one else does.”  —Jenna Lyons

Everyone can buy and wear (and has worn) this Bass Weejun…I like to ask, how can I make this more personal…more luxurious? More “me”?

@BIg Jon—I painted my loafers with acrylic paint (use masking tape to trace out the stripe).

MAS left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 1:38 PM:

In my thirty plus years of business, there is no one size fits all when it comes to how one dresses for work, but I will say that there are tribal expectations if you wish to fit in.  Finance has long coveted the more conservative look, marketing, advertising types add more flare while those in the arts, tech are most esoteric.  MGM sounds like a made man, hence his observations of less style conscious.  The less style conscious no doubt wonder how much thought can on man put into what he wears?  My point, I always dressed similar to the tribe I worked with.  Those who did not were viewed less favorably AND they rarely ever knew it!

SM left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 1:19 PM:

The glasses look like something a frat star would wear with his boat shoes and Nantucket reds.  Great look underneath. And a question for you, Fred: what is the point of splattering nice, leather shoes with paint?  What are you trying to convey with that?

Big Jon left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 12:34 PM:

Did you paint your loafers yourself and if so how did you do it?

Glenn Elliot left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 11:50 AM:

Great, great post MGM.  I nearly spit coffee across my desk when you described the black shirt/black tie combo….Regis anyone???  And I can not agree more that dressing boldly allows you to take certain style liberties.

AEV left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 7:56 AM:

@MGM- ha ha….Your comments are spot on…and made me chuckle. I hear you, but, I still feel like there’s a huge difference between what you (and I) may consider a ‘bold’ or unique style choice (interesting ties, slight breaks in our pants, tailored clothes, a subtle quirk or two) and Fred’s personal style. I’m not suggesting—at all—that folks should dress like clones or without style, I’m simply suggesting that some restraint and adherence to a few basic guidelines will go a long, long way in ensuring your outfit/style is appreciated by me (and men like me) as opposed to sneered at.

I, for one, am not concerned with what the dude in the black dress shirt thinks - but, I do realize that the impression I give my boss/the company executive team, potential clients/employers, my finance’s father, etc., matters quite a bit…

gordon left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 7:39 AM:

He is having a little fun with his style guys.  He is wearing cloths, it’s not that serious.

Andreas left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 4:43 AM:

I love the flannel trousers with the Norman Hilton jacket. Perfect match.

Tyler P. left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 1:03 AM:

I think a tort shell would look great too. The lime green would pair well with a swim short and a bright polo.

Snaaby left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 9:59 PM:

I will be brutally honest, the glasses are growing on me. I can’t explain it, but I accept it.

Tim left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 9:29 PM:

Keep doing your thing! I Wish I had a Norman Hilton.

MGM left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 8:19 PM:

Let me make one more comment in response to AEV’s points (which are always good).  He has suggested in the most recent posts here that dressing like this will not send a good signal and/or make a good first impression in the business world.  Now, of course this may *seem* true, but from experience I know that it is not.  I am a practicing attorney, and work around people all day that dress in suits (whether it is in the office or in court).  But here is the difference between me and them:  these people put ZERO thought into what and how they dress, while I consciously make very bold style choices.  I wear pants with no break, usually combine extremely bold tie/oxford shirt combinations, and sometimes even wear collar pins!  I can get away with stuff like this because the people around my know ALMOST NOTHING about style.  They couldn’t articulate an objection even if they wanted to.  They wear cheap nylon dress shirts they purchase at Marshall’s, and their pants are so long that they are frayed at the bottom.  They don’t know how to dress, and thus they are in no position to comment on my bold style choices.  From experience, I can tell you that is how it works in the real world.  When I walk into a courtroom, I attract attention.  Good or bad (who knows?). But the point is that I do.

Now, the one danger to bold style dressers like FEC and everyone else who is inspired by him is, of course, people like you, AEV.  You are obviously EXTREMELY knowledgeable about proper dress, and you pull it off very well.  But there are so few people like you now AEV that bold style dressers can get away with almost anything they want.  Who is going to stop me?  The guy wearing a solid over-sized black shirt with a solid black tie and pants fraying at the bottom?  I don’t think so.

meg left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 8:14 PM:

(Most of) the outfit is golden.  Love it F.E.

Aaron left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 8:00 PM:

I’m shocked you’re wearing socks!

Dave T. left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 6:56 PM:

Can you provide any more information on the Deja Vu Refinery glasses?  The website really doesn’t have any information about them.

The closest thing I could find is this job listing for an intern:

Global Luxury Mens Spectacle & Sunspectacle Brand (think Johnny/Dean). Founded by the former owner of a successful full service advertising company in NY. Marketing Interns are needed to interface with customers, top stylists, and editors of blogs & online/print magazines including Vanity Fair, GQ, Esquire, etc. (not only USA issues).

Thanks.

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 6:06 PM:

@cam - I don’t disagree with anything you wrote…nor is it lost on me that Fred’s running a business. But, Fred actually wears these looks out in public and he fiercely defends the style/utility of the pieces he features. It appears he has been anointed an ‘expert’ and he regularly doles out advice and opinionated replies to comments and inquiries.

So, for me anyway, it’s important to know where he’s coming from.

Daniel left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 5:48 PM:

Nicely done, sir.

DBCC left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:42 PM:

Nice belt buckle.

cam left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:29 PM:

Let me start by saying that i enjoy quit a lot of what F.E. does and what he features on this site. i think many people should be aware that F.E. publishes a blog and he needs to drive traffic to his site to be relevant. i have seen this with many bloggers/publishers. They start off featuring things they wear which are typically spot on and very classic in nature. That being said, they must continually spark debate and what better way to do so than venture outside the box. F.E. knows exactly what he is doing and he does a great job. If you are looking for classic style a blog of a self-proclaimed stylist is not the place to look. Rather keep your eyes open in your own neighborhood and take a note when you see a ‘real’ person wearing something you like.

• Entrenched

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: pop of color with a ribbon belt, gray flannel suiting (with cuff) for fall.

Rig:
    • Lookmatic tort shell eyeglasses
    • Ascot Chang bespoke dress shirt
    • Brooks Brothers silk knit tie
    • Rugby gray flannel suit
    • Club Monaco trench coat (similar)
    • Ralph Lauren ribbon belt
    Ralph Lauren double monk strap shoes
    Ernest Alexander weekend bag (similar)

*Check out the entire feature on The Style Blogger.

Dec 7, 2011 | Permalink (26) View/Leave Comments

Valerie left a comment on 12/10/2011 at 2:44 AM:

Love the belt and coat and overall look.

jlt left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 10:31 PM:

great look. love the coat.  perfect overall. Best part is that you look comfortable too!

Global Mike left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 7:24 PM:

When the temps drop below 60’, I like to wear socks.

SM left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 1:23 PM:

I love this look. The trench coat is really great.  AEV—I usually agree with most of the points you bring up, but I think I’ll have to digress from your point of view here.  Why couldn’t FEC just be wearing this for a day out in NYC—maybe shopping, meeting up with a friend, running errands?  Who’s to say that work is the only place you can dress preppy, and outside of work, you can only be dressed casually preppy?

JEB left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 12:57 PM:

@AEV I didn’t realize that Fred had become an investment banker all of a sudden… if that’s the case, Kudos FEC! 

@FEC let’s talk privately for a moment. Is AEV’s only issue with this outfit the ribbon belt (nice touch and pop of color) and the un-buckled monk-strap (i’d leave my buckled, but that’s me)?

I like the outfit. Why? Because there are some unexpected ideas here. Every vanilla dresser can wear a brown, english tan, or (blah) black leather belt with a grey flannel suit. But the orange ties the navy, grey and blue all together. Nice touch!

Where can you wear this? Where ever the hell you want! Why? BECAUSE YOU CAN!!! FEC, who writes your checks? YOU!

The difference (at least one differnce) between you and AEV… You do what you want with who you want. He works for “the man”. He does what others want.
    Keep up the good work and wear whatever makes you feel good. After all, that’s the most important rule in fashion…wear what makes you feel good.

James left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 12:42 PM:

Fred,
    This is on-point. Need to see more of this from you.

Daniel left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 11:24 PM:

Very good!
    (Sent from my glass house)

bucephalus left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 5:59 PM:

I’m the one who first used the word ‘peacock’ in reference to Castleberry, but I was wrong.  Most of his outfits are pretty sedate and even conservative.  But they all have several tweaks, nods or flourishes.  I think that’s OK.  He doesn’t have a traditional job.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:54 PM:

@AEV—You’re obviously a pragmatic individual.  I too am not always sure what I will see when I drop in, but the commentary is amusing to say the least.  I grew up in North Shore Long Island in a very traditional/preppy environment, summered in the Hamptons and we vacationed with family and friends all up and down the eastern seaboard. Honestly, if this site was a traditional “prep” site, it would be as interesting as watching paint dry. The fact is that a real prep life is a bore, which is why so many kids I grew up with became major fu*k ups (too much money, no drive or supervision).     

Few people have access to the inner circles of waspdom whether it be summer at the Maidstone, The Everglades Club, or one of the elite social clubs from Boston to Philadelphia.  People seem to be enamored by it, but honestly as someone who has had access to that life, it’s as stale and dull as the crackers.

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:29 PM:

@emjkmj - Fair enough. To be frank, I have no idea, exactly, what this blog is. I’ve asked Fred and I tend to get multifaceted explanations.

And, as I’ve said numerous times, there are countless ways to ‘have fun’ and dress individually.

dam left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:10 PM:

@emjkmj—Amen, especially the part about this being a fashion vs. a how-to blog.

loudon_foster left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:09 PM:

@AEV—Relax! This blog is showing the fun side of wearing preppy clothes.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:04 PM:

AEV- When I meet with Investment Bankers, my Attorney’s, Investors, I dress the part.  Classic understated shirts with grey (tropical weight) flannel trousers, matte croc belt, navy cashmere blazer (Tropical weight w/Horn buttons), an a classic shoe (Lobb or Alden).  When I am traveling or dining with my wife, I tend to wear RL Blue or Purple Label or Loro Piana.  I tend to stick to shades of blue/grey/cream and may have a pop of color now and then.  I am 37 and a father of 3 so my days of dressing to attract attention are far behind me.  I tend to stick to the classics now and focus on comfort and quality. 

Having said that, I have alway viewed this site as more of a fashion site than a “how to”.  Don’t you think the American Men you mentioned have enough outlets to tell them how to properly wear a business suit or dress for an interview?  I went to Bucknell University, about everyone got coached on how to dress for interviews and their looming careers.

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:01 PM:

@sonhouse - People get hired for many reasons, including, in some measurable part, the first impression they give and the professionalism they exude. If your firm has essentially zero dress code, it is, in my experience, a rarity. That said, I’ve always dressed with self awareness prioritized over any official firm dress.

sonhouse left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:54 PM:

The ‘sort of law firm’ I work must be ‘rare indeed’ then. We are a boutique tax law firm of which every partner and associate have ivy credentials. We have little want for business or care for what people think concerning the tie knots tied within our walls. ’ But trust me’ now - people hire the best because they are the best.

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:47 PM:

@sonhouse - I’m not sure what sort of law firm you work for, but it’s a rare one indeed that allows its associates to wear suits with ribbon belts, no socks, and undone shoes. If my company’s legal department or on-retainer firm contacts dressed like this, they’d be fired….in fact, they never would have been hired in the first place.

Your boss/clients may not ever say anything to you, but trust me - a get up like this will do nothing for your legal career.

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:43 PM:

@emjkmj/FEC - Surely you know that the vast majority of world businesses/sectors, and a wide range of formal personal occasions, require that a suit be paired with socks, non-ironic neckties, properly worn shoes, and non-nylon/cotton belts. This isn’t about draconian, 1950s ‘corporate America’ - this is about nearly every man that has to wear a suit in 2011, whether it be for work, a wedding, an interview, a funeral, a professional lunch/dinner, and so on.

“Creative types” playing ‘formal dress up’ (or trying to sell me aspirations or clothes at an RL shop) offer little inspiration or guidance for the vast majority of the adult world….and, since most men (and Fred’s readers) aren’t Esquire editors, RL shop managers, or style photographers/bloggers, that’s a shame. I know Fred has style - I wish he’d stop hiding behind all of these forced gimmicks and just weat his clothes with some honesty…it would be far more instructive and interesting for the rest of us.

sonhouse left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:39 PM:

@ FEC - Great photo. Actually, the last few have been real inspirational. I check the blog daily for for content of this caliber.

@ AEV - I understand your emphasis on function / practicality and I enjoyed FEC’s shots featuring you. That being said, as a young attorney in NOLA, who spends little time in a court room, this outfit would be accepted where in my firm. Personally, I wear my (work) pants with a little more length, but not much.

Great photo FEC,
    son

emjkmj left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:33 PM:

Also, I could have worn this look minus the overcoat in Palm Beach this AM… and no one would have batted an eye.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:31 PM:

Fred- I think a pair of solid orange socks could have worked well.  Living in South Florida, I never wear socks unless I am in a suit which is almost never.  But, when I travel north of the mason dixon line past August, I always sport socks. 

@AEV- Well NYC, LA, Miami, etc… have a lot of creative types & retail (Industries) that have the options to wear suits and have a lot of latitude in how they wear them.  Obviously, this blog isn’t intended for white shoe law firm associates to get fashion tips, that would be more of the IVY Style Blog.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:30 PM:

@AEV—I don’t recall claiming I was out to dress corporate America.

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:19 PM:

Fred - I don’t mean what city/state as much as I do what occasion. If the business of my (or most people’s) day required a suit, and I wore a ribbon belt, mistied my tie, and left my shoes undone, I would be fired.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:16 PM:

@AEV—In New York on a fall day with a slight chance of rain.  In the bag, a pair of bean boots (among other things like an umbrella) should I need them. In New York, once you leave the house, you typically don’t return until that night…so you have to leave the house prepared.

Fred H. left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:08 PM:

Excellent. Just excellent!

AEV left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:05 PM:

Fred, where, exactly, would you wear an outfit like this?

Richard Ross left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 12:57 PM:

On point from head to toe.

• Down & Out

Dress Code  

Noteworthy: down vest over tailored sport coat.

Rig:
    • Lookmatic tort shell eyeglasses
    • Taylor Stitch university stripe button down shirt
    Brooks Brothers repp stripe tie
    • Penfield 60/40 down vest (similar)
    • Norman Hilton sport coat
    Smart Turnout surcingle belt
    • Club Monaco chino
    • Rugby socks
    • Vintage Cole Haan wingtip brogues (similar)

*Check out the entire feature on The Style Blogger.

Dec 6, 2011 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

MAS left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 9:49 PM:

Home run with the socks.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 11:36 AM:

Solid look!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 11:28 AM:

@Dan from England—American Indians run entire casinos now. Wearing a watch should be the least perception shattering truth to come out of that.

Dan from Engand left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 11:14 AM:

Fred , thanks for the info on your watch and the straps however you have shattered my illusion of Indian chiefs , coming from England I thought he would have told the time by drawing some kind of line in the sand and working it out by the sun, not by wearing a watch like every one else !

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 10:11 AM:

@Dan from England—My Omega is an early 60s model Seamaster.  It previously belonged to a notable American indian chief. As far as nylon straps go for your watch, England has one of the best companies that produce them, Smart Turnout.

@AEV—I have more than three pairs of prescription glasses I can wear at any given time. When you’ve been wearing glasses for 15 years, it not only becomes easy to accumulate frames but they can start to be viewed as accessories instead of solely a necessity.

Dan from England left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 9:57 AM:

Hi Fred,
    Could you tell us a bit about your Omega please ? How old it is and perhaps where you got it from. Also where do the ribbon straps come from, I have tried o buy them in England but can’t find them ?
    Thanks .

Michael left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:06 AM:

As a reader since the inception of UP, this is easily one of my top five favorite postings.

AEV left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 5:26 PM:

Fred - by my count, you have at least three pair of glasses/frames. You pay to have prescription lenses put in all of these? Why? Or, do you actually not require glasses at all?

CRC left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 11:17 AM:

Great contrast with the socks and tie. Comfortable look.

Blevins left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 11:00 AM:

Excellent look - pants are higher than I would wear them personally, but great tie, blazer, and sock combo.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:49 AM:

@Hilton—You may contact me by clicking on the contact button in the sidebar to the right.

@CHC—I believe this vest is called the Outback. Yes, I removed the woven label on the left chest with a seam ripper (I do this often).

Hilton left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:45 AM:

Would you mind providing me with your contact email, Mr. Castleberry? Thanks in advance.

dam left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:41 AM:

Classic look.  You pull off the higher pants nicely…something I cannot do myself!  The penfield over a blazer is a great look…plus really ups the warmth if you don’t want to wear a big coat. This was definitely my favorite shot from the styleblogger shoot.  Makes me glad to see him shooting something like this as opposed to some of the strange stuff that’s on there at times…

emjkmj left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:23 AM:

I have a brooks brothers vest from last season that looks exactly like that… Red tartan lined as well.

CHC left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:15 AM:

Which vest is that? I can’t seem to find one in that color on the Penfield website that doesn’t have a conspicuous logo on the front. Did you take the logo off? If so, how do you recommend doing that? Thanks

DBCC left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 9:55 AM:

Love the shoes.  Wore a similar pair yesterday.  The Style Blogger excerpt was spot on.  Look #4 takes the cake, IMO.  Nice work, Fred.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 9:33 AM:

I like the look.  The pants are higher than i could get away with, but I love the sport coat and tie combo.

• Vintage Stanley Blacker Blazer

Style | Dress Code  

I wear vintage clothing if for no other reason than we don't make them like we used to. Hell, in most cases, "we" [Americans] don't even make them anymore. There is good news though—vintage can be had on the cheap. The very best bargains are found in the stores where you have to roll up your sleeves. Bobby From Boston—my favorite vintage men's shop in New England— offers just that, an overwhelming thrill of discovery every time you duck in.

Back in October, I popped in for 15 minutes while in Boston and dug in. It paid off. Made in the USA from authentic Harris Tweed, this Stanley Blacker jacket was in surprisingly good condition. I had already resolved to Cinderella my way into it...but luckily it didn't come to that. The handwoven tweed framed my shoulders perfectly. The button stance sat right above my navel. The single vent covered my bum just so. But finding it (for $45 no less) was just the beginning.

I had my tailor let out the sleeves, sew on leather elbow patches, and add a fourth knotted leather button for an updated look ($80). While I was at The Head of the Charles, I met an Amsterdam rowing club that passed their rowing blazers down through the ranks as each athlete moved on. They kept a record of this by hand stitching their initials under the right lapel. I took a leaf out of their book and thought it appropriate for this vintage sport-coat.

Rig:
    Lookmatic tort shell eyeglasses
    • Vintage Stanly Blacker sport-coat
    • Paisley handkerchief
    • Vintage Gant foulard tie
    • Brass collar pin
    • Ralph Lauren tartan dress shirt
    • Vintage Omega Seamaster wrist watch
    • J.Press leather belt and monogrammed brass engine turn buckle
    • Rugby selvedge denim
    • Rugby socks
    Cole Haan saddle oxfords
    Wentworth pewter flask

Dec 5, 2011 | Permalink (66) View/Leave Comments

st. clair left a comment on 12/12/2011 at 5:20 PM:

Looks like you are packing heat.

SM left a comment on 12/9/2011 at 1:30 PM:

What a sweet blazer.  Love the cut, the material, and especially the elbow patches you had sewn in.

Edward left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:36 PM:

Fred, love the look, the red jacket is an unbelievable look. I especially love the personalized label you had sewn in. Where could I order some labels like that for myself?

Fred H. left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 1:11 PM:

Great find and terrific additional flourishes. Four and a half stars!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 10:15 AM:

@DD—I know some in NYC but not Fairfield county. In finding a tailor, you simply want someone who is competent, has some years under their belt, and listens to you. Most of the time, you won’t need extremely difficult alterations done…for those, you might want to travel to NYC.

DD left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 8:39 AM:

Love the personal touches . . . Any good tailor suggestions in the Westport, CT/ Fairfield County Area?

Richard Ross left a comment on 12/8/2011 at 2:27 AM:

Oh. My. Gosh. That’s the jacket, bro. That is THE jacket. I can’t stop looking at it.

DS left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 11:44 AM:

tell me more about the dutch rowers :-)

Makaga left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 11:42 AM:

I love that you added the initials under the lapel; what a great personal touch.  I have seen older hats where gentlemen have had their friends sign on the inside of the hat.  I also met a British fellow who jotted his friends phone numbers (pre cell phone era) onto the underside of his jacket lapels.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:55 AM:

@ATL—After doing some reaearch, I handstitched the initials of the known previous owners and then my own ititials.

@Julien—Very wise choice going with Crockett & Jones. Great English shoemaker.

@Kevin—The rise on my jeans is probably best described as a mid-rise. These are Rugby selvesge denim and the fit is slim. I did not have them altered in any way.

ATL left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 10:23 AM:

Wait a minute, I’m confused.  Did you add all of the rowing team’s initials or just your own as the last one?

Julien left a comment on 12/7/2011 at 5:03 AM:

@FEC
    I saw your post on SB’s blog and I really like your style.
    Sometimes I try to inspire me of your style but it’s not easy.
    Moreover, in this regard, finally I didn’t buy the brogues on ebay which I told you. I broke my piggy bank and I bought a pair of Crockett and Jones Belgrave’s model gold colored, in suede (calf-velvet). : )

Note : Excuse-me for mistakes, but I don’t speak English very well… I’m French

kevin left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 10:35 PM:

love the look. i was just wondering what fit your jeans were? the rise looks a bit higher which i’ve been looking for. looks like u got it tapered as well? thanks!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 3:56 PM:

@Chens—I completely understand where you are coming from. Let’s just say most of the time I am not spending time with hypersensitive men’s style blog readers, so it’s rarely an issue in my day to day life. Most of my friends don’t even notice these so called “affectations.”

Chens left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 3:16 PM:

As someone who’s been called affected more than once, I’d say that the man’s intentions are irrelevant: his peers will judge him affected or not.

It’s similar to art: What an artist meant to say and how the public takes it are two totally different things. I think of Upton Sinclair’s quip about the response to his novel “The Jungle”: “I aimed for public’s heart and hit them in the stomach.”

So while paint-splattered pants, denim jacket with pocket square, jacket and tie but no socks, and parka over a sportcoat may feel “natural” to the wearer, it’s highly possible that a large percentage of one’s peers might find them the sartorial equivalent of publicity stunts.

George left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 12:52 PM:

I love every piece, head to toe. The Stanley Blacker says it all: Harris, 100%, Made in USA, everything. I’m celebrating this look in high style. Very well done.

emjkmj left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 12:03 PM:

Question.  If you follow the rules aren’t you also following someone else’s sensibilities?  Aren’t we all following someone???

dam left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 11:49 AM:

AEV does a great job of raising certain points from time to time, yet I don’t think he always does the greatest job of conveying them.  So many of his posts come off as cynical or condescending to me, which is a bit of a bummer.  It’s a shame someone who clearly has solid knowledge of the menswear world can’t always just sit back and leave the emotions out of an argument. 

Should this monk strap be unbuckled?  Who is responsible for the tie twist?  Why is he wearing this un-tucked, or why does that look affected?  No socks with dress shoes!?

Honestly, who cares where he “copied” this “affected” tie twist or the unbuckled monk strap?  Sid Mashburn rocks.  I copy him, too.  In fact, Sid has made an entire business of getting people to “copy” him.  There are Sid Mashburn clones walking all over Atlanta and around the country, too!  And the best part is, I’m sure Sid got these ideas from someone else.  The twisted tie? Probably a little bit of Agnelli.  The sneakers with dress clothes?  Maybe McQueen or Newman.  The unbuckled monk straps?  Those are probably from the sprezzatura’ed out Italian dudes all over the fashion world. Think Lino Leluzzi or any of the other big “underground” names in Italian menswear.  All these dudes probably got their ideas from someone else as well!  It’s a continuous cycle.  Think about it!  Why do we all leave the bottom button on our vests unbuttoned?  God forbid we’d copy the Prince of Wales!

As someone who grew up in a culture some would dub “preppy,” a lot of the infatuation today with being “preppy” just makes me role my eyes.  I can’t stand Vineyard vines, and Rugby Ralph Lauren always seems to be trying too hard to me.  I loathe when people talk about “fratty” and “preppy” being the same thing.  However, those are my own personal beliefs.  Do I think someone from Arizona can’t wear Nantucket reds?  No.  Would I put someone down for thinking Rugby does a great job?  Of course not.  I understand where AEV’s whole argument of not coming off as a poser (for lack of better word) comes into play.  Because, after too many “affectations” or “quirks,” one may indeed appear that way.  However, when you make something your own, being “affected” just doesn’t apply anymore.  If you’re going to choose to dress a certain way, you need to own it.  I think Fred does a good job of this.  It’s all in the confidence and the way you carry yourself. 

Fashion is all about constant reinterpretation and reinvention based on one’s personal ideas and feelings.  We’re taking our varying personal upbringings, from economic backgrounds to geographic locations, and combining them with different aspects of the global culture of fashion to form our OWN unique opinions.  Fashion and style are all about cultivating your own personal image.  If you like something someone else does, copy it.  If you don’t like it, don’t.  Make it yours, and you can do whatever you want with it. That’s the most fun part about fashion.

If you read this blog regularly you can see that is what Fred is clearly out to do.  Do I think he’s perfect?  No.  I usually agree with about 50% of Fred’s outfits on here, but I can certainly appreciate where he’s coming from.  Keep it up, FEC.

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 11:49 AM:

To be clear, rakish is to be taken in terms of fashionable.

Joey Dee left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 11:43 AM:

Very rakish indeed, and just in time for the season of frivolity. Great find on the jacket. Thrifting is very rewarding when one has the time and a solid idea of what they are after, time after time, I have found vintage Dior’s, Burberry, Hugo Boss, Lagerfeld; I could go on and on.
    Who are the initials above yours, if I may ask?

Big Jon left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 9:58 AM:

What’s in that flask, FE? (LOL)

That’s a very nice jacket. By the way, I liked that post they did about you at The Style Blogger website.

Sarah left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 9:07 AM:

To put it quite simply, if you find FEC’s style ‘affected’ or take his style choices as ‘imitation’ or ‘unnatural’, then you have crossed the line from constructive criticism to rather personally offensive. As FEC kindly remarked,  ‘There is nothing new under the Sun…just new interpretations.’ This is a personal interpretation on a classic look, and there’s not a person out there with a style completely uninfluenced by style icons or those around him/her.

To a point, online banter is all well and good. But before posting critical comments about how you could do the look better, take into account that you have not in fact posted this particular look for international sartorial critique. You have not developed a brand for yourself based off of your eye for style, and you have never written and shared a part of yourself with a world hunched like wolves, waiting to pounce on the smallest facet of your style that they do not agree with because they have nothing better to do than sit in front of their computer screen every day and critique someone else’s personal style.

Have a little compassion…and if not, at least the courage to define yourself in a public sphere as FEC has bravely done. It’s harder than it looks, as every established blog author is aware.

Tito left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 7:37 AM:

@Dan from England - I’m not going to lie but I felt the same way years ago about shopping on thrift shops, but THE CUT on the blazers are awesome. basically I have to do NOTHING!
    Contemporary blazers I have to do alterations on the sleeves all the darn time, and not to mention that a Harris tweed made blazer nowadays would clean up your pocket. I’m on a budget but at same time I want to look nice, so from now on I’m going second hand (vintage lol).

Julien left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 7:30 AM:

Great look! As usual : )

Dan from England left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 3:09 AM:

I don’t really get this whole “vintage” thing. In the UK we called it second hand until very recently when we have started to adopt the American term vintage. I really don’t think I would feel comfortable in vintage/second hand stuff. One thing I don’t understand is how you can by a new Rolex Submarina for £5,000 but to buy one 20 years old which looks pretty much the same and you pay multiples of that….to me it is madness , but then as I said I don’t really get the vintage thing. But cool jacket I have never seen a red Harris Tweed jacket before.

bean left a comment on 12/6/2011 at 1:53 AM:

this post reminds me of one of my own recent finds… i collect old national geographics and the best place to find ‘em is savers, usually ($0.29 each, come on!)... a couple months ago i HAPPENED to check the racks, too, just to kill time… ended up scoring an american-made, royal blue pendleton wool blazer. brand new with tags (but at least a decade or two old) and even with the ‘extra’ buttons. not a cent over $5.00. i’ve been so pleased with it and am complimented often.

Tim left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:33 PM:

Shout out to bobby from Boston! My regular stops are bobby, ball and buck, and the j crew men’s shop. Great purchase and alterations. Give a heads up next time you’re here!

emjkmj left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 9:39 PM:

This is how Agnelli wore his tie.

http://forums.filmnoirbuff.com/viewtopic.php?id=8734

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 9:22 PM:

@Daniel—For starters, I don’t tie my tie like Agnelli.  I don’t even really know how he ties his knots.  It would be foolish to think that Agnelli didn’t have his own style icons…icons in which he lifted nuances from and then made his own.

Daniel left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 9:17 PM:

Agnelli’s tie wasn’t affected because it was tied this way or that. But is yours affected when you tie it this way because Agnelli did it? Sure.

@ Cam, I didn’t say that it was wrong. I said that it was more an effect of the menswear blogosphere than it was a personal quirk… a wink to those who recognize the allusion to Agnelli or to Pollock. Claiming that as personal style is disingenuous.

cam left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:59 PM:

i have to agree with FEC here to a point. i would NEVER (and i rarely say never) wear some of the things he does in the way that he does but that doesn’t mean it’s wrong. i don’t recall FEC ever stating that people should dress a certain way. he is him and he dresses in a manner that makes him happy. it’s friggin clothing after all right? i am more trad in my dress but that is ME. that is all

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:49 PM:

@Daniel—An affectation ceases to be an affectation the moment it is no longer unnatural but natural. All I can assure you is that the way I dress is completely natural for me. Who am I to tell you any differently? Am I going to tell Agnelli his tie is “affected” because it’s twisted this way or that?  Or that he can’t wear his watch over his shirt cuff because I personally think it looks unnatural?  That is his business.

Christian Bourasseau left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:49 PM:

There’s nothing forced in this picture. Everything flows just like water. Awesome outfit Fred!

Daniel left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:36 PM:

@ AEV—I put “personal quirks” in quotation marks because my point is that they are not in fact personal, but reflective of the community that FEC belongs to (the menswear fashion industry). I live near Lincoln Center and witnessed this community’s uniform “personal quirks” firsthand during NYC fashion week. In FEC’s community, twisting one’s tie, not wearing socks, etc., are accepted and a sign that one is in the know. I’m not as familiar with the world of lobbyists in DC but, based on your comments, not wearing socks with lace-ups or having the back of one’s tie be longer than the front would be unacceptable and a clear sign that one is not “in”. These are the more mainstream rules, and that’s all I meant by that comment. You and FEC live in different universes with different standards of what’s acceptable. Just as it would be silly for FEC to criticize you for wearing socks or for having the front of your tie be in front of the back of it, it doesn’t make sense for you to critique him for following his community’s standards of acceptability. My original comment was less to do with your style - I enjoyed the AEV week - than a response to FEC’s contention that the tie is a personal touch.
    I agree that the twisted tie is affected. “All the things you are proclaiming are forced, I do out of habit *now*” fits the dictionary definition of affected. FEC seems to be fine with appropriating from others and calling it personal once it becomes natural. I could start speaking with a Southern drawl because I liked the sound of it. Eventually it would become natural. But that doesn’t mean that it’s not affected. Not that it doesn’t work - ask the Connecticut kid who eventually became Governor of Texas and then President ;)

Tito left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:13 PM:

Love that blazer sir!
    I did some thrift shopping my self about a month ago and I found a Jos A Bank tweed blazer, with the Harris tweed emblem on it. what is interesting that all the goods made with Harris tweed has a unique serial number on it.
    Long story short, I got it for $ 5.00 dollars and is intact.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 8:02 PM:

@AEV—Congratulations on two accounts: that fact that you were able to identify one of my style icons (Sid Mashburn) for one. Even style icons have style icons. There is nothing new under the Sun…just new interpretations. The reality is that personal quirks become personal over time through repetition…a manner in which one does things. You coming along and crying “affected!” has no affect on me because I already feel at home in my style (through repetition, time, and tweaks).

Secondly, congratulations on dressing “well.”  I wouldn’t have previously photographed you for Unabashedly Prep if that weren’t the case.  But dressing well doesn’t always translate into personal style that resonates with people.  I’m interested in clothing beyond dressing well…there is a personal expression in it for me…a non verbal message I’m communicating.  Classic American sportswear (or preppy/trad clothing) is our my palette but I’m painting a different picture than you are.

AEV left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 7:35 PM:

@Daniel/FEC—“Personal quirks” are, by definition, personal. Affectations are forced, copy cat moves done to feign personal style, nonchalance, originality, etc. The unbuckled double monk strap shoes? Fred picked that up from Sid Mashburn. The twisted/mistied tie? Mashburn again.

I don’t ‘follow mainstream rules’ - in fact, one of my few ‘rules’ is to wear my own clothes, honestly and to not overtly copy other people’s quirks and ‘looks’ wholesale. Given that I’ve been dressing essentially the same way my whole life - not riding a ‘prep’ trend - it means that my quirks/clothes are mine. Do I tie my necktie correctly as to not look like a fool? Guilty. Do I buckle/tie my shoes? Yup. Do I button down my button down collar (unless I honestly forget or am in a rush, only to correct it later)? Yes sir. Do I wear warm clothes (socks) when it’s cold outside. Sure do. This isn’t a slavish marriage to outmoded, staid ‘rules’ - it’s dressing like an adult.

Daniel left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 7:13 PM:

Nice socks! The blazer looks great.
    Re: AEV’s comment on the tie, I feel like these “personal quirks” (cuffed jeans, one undone buckle on double monks, uneven and twisted tie, no socks, an armful of bracelets (which you don’t follow)) are the style blogger’s version of the mainstream rules AEV follows. Both say something about which group you identify with, rather than who you are as an individual.
    Re: MGM, you would laugh at someone who puts vodka or tequila in a flask? Why’s that?

Hilton left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 6:36 PM:

What is your contact email address, Mr. Castleberry? Thanks.

MGM left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 6:33 PM:

AND FEC—here’s the big question that hasn’t been asked yet: What is in the flask?

Personally, I only carry BOURBON whiskey in a flask.  Now, I love me some scotch and irish whiskey, but I have never felt right drinking it out of a flask.  Bourbon seems the only appropriate choice.  I would just laugh at someone if they put in something like vodka or tequila in their flask.

Matthew left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 6:30 PM:

You look perfect to a T.

MGM left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 6:30 PM:

Yea, I have as many blazers as I do (about 25) largely because I purchased most of them at Goodwill—- and then had them tailored.  However, I can say that the one downside (from experience) is this: sometimes your blazer will look so F***-in good that people can’t help but ask what brand/label it is.  This is where I have to bow my head and admit that it is vintage.  Personally, I always like flapping open the jacket and showing my friends/girls the Polo Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers label.  THAT IS THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO VINTAGE SHOPPING.  And, yes, it is terribly vain.

I do have a larger question—FEC: where do you stop with the tailoring?  I generally don’t mind buying blazers cheaply at all because they are so easy to tailor.  I just have to hand them over to my tailor and he knows what to do.  But it gets a little more difficult when you take oxford shirts and pants in, isn’t it?  I have had good experiences with having my oxford shirts tailored (basically, tapered), but my experience with pants have been mixed.  I have purchased some great looking vintage pants, with really unique patterns, and have taken them into my tailor, but they never really come out right.  The stitching up the leg LOOKS like it was re-stitched, and I don’t like that.

Blevins left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 5:21 PM:

@FEC, good move with the elbow patches. Not sure I understand the point of jackets coming with them to begin with - they need to be earned through long service, as this jacket’s clearly were.

Caroline Fontenot left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 5:17 PM:

What an incredible find!! If we ever find ourselves within an hour of that store it is now on the must visit list. I always ask where the best vintage stores are in towns we visit.

Dave left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 5:00 PM:

I’ve got a couple items with the Stanley Blacker label..what’s the history of that label? Who made it?

DBCC left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 4:54 PM:

@FEC this is right up my alley, literally and figuratively.  Bobby from Boston is the best vintage shop I’ve ever set foot in.  The jacket was phenomenal right off the rack, but you went and made it phenonomenally yours by adding the details that you desired. The leather elbow patches and leather wrapped buttons are mint, nice touch, Fred!  Love it.  From the inseam of your denim, to your belt (mine arrives today), to your collar pin - it’s all deadly.  What’s in the flask?

cam left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 3:49 PM:

@fec - great spread on thestyleblogger.com!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 3:26 PM:

Some of you guys are describing some really neat vintage finds.  I wish I could see them all.

@Dan from England—After some research on the origin of the jacket, I stitched in as much of its previous ownership as I could dig up in addition to my own initials.

@Randy—These frames are indeed Lookmatic’s Andy frame; however, I am not quite sure what you mean when ask what size they are. You need only enter your prescription when ordering RX glasses with Lookmatic.

@Matt—I have my woven labels made with Colonial Tag & Label in New York.

@Blevins—The sleeves are in very good condition.  I added the elbow patches not only for reasons pertaining to form, but to preserve what was left of the elbows.

@Chris—Yes, the Amsterdam Rowing Club was Nereus.

Dan from England left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 3:17 PM:

Fred , I am guessing you not only added your initials but also the others ? If so I think that is a bit OTT !

randy left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 2:57 PM:

Are those the Andy’s? What size are they??

Matt left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 2:55 PM:

Fred, where did you have the name labels made?

Blevins left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 2:16 PM:

Were the sleeves / elbows in good condition when you found the jacket, or had they worn down? Best thing about harris tweed is how hard wearing it is…

Paul left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 2:00 PM:

1. Bobby From Boston is my favorite store in town.
    2. You are wearing socks.
    (Just had to throw that one out there)

Chris left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 1:01 PM:

Was it Nereus?

Andy M. left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 12:26 PM:

One of my favorite of your outfits Fred.  This is spot-on all the way.  Terrific find.  I’m pulling out a red blazer for this year’s Christmas parties and am practically counting down the days.

John G. left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 12:23 PM:

Looks beautiful and effortless to me. Love the style and attention to detail. Also enjoy reading the opinions that don’t agree. It’s all good :)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:57 AM:

@AEV—You just don’t get “it.” I tie the same type of knot as most men but with a twist/quirk to account for my personal taste. All the things you are proclaiming are forced, I do out of habit now. It’s not in me to do it “your” way.

Bumby left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:54 AM:

Well done!
    I just picked up a BB Camel from the Goodwill, in great shape for $6.99. I was looking for a Tweed and came home with a Camel. Love it when things work out that way.
    Always, Bumby

AEV left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:48 AM:

@FEC—Yes, I know this is you and it’s you readers are reacting to/commenting on. Saying you tie a ‘four in hand’ - as almost everyone does - is not the same as purposely mis-tying it length-wise and deliberately, awkwardly twisting it…it’s just so forced and kicked.

Campbell left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:40 AM:

Bobby from Boston remains one of the most inspiring places, aesthetically speaking, I have ever shopped, and was a gem of my college days in New England =)

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:38 AM:

@AEV—This is how I get dressed. This is how I tie my tie (four-in-hand), how I wear my jeans, etc. This is me…not you.

@NWR—As AEV pointed out, have the jacket taken up to the same length as your other jackets (your tailor will tell you if you have enough to play with) and look at having the padding removed.  Good luck.

AEV left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:32 AM:

@NWR - why not take it to a tailor? you should be able to shorten it and remove the padding for $35-40.00….

AEV left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:30 AM:

Cool blazer - no doubt about it. But what would have been so wrong with just throwing all of these items without the excessive over-thinking?

NWR left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:30 AM:

Great look, FEC. I also have a tweed sport coat I picked up from a vintage shop, but I’m always hesitant to wear it. It seems to be a solid inch longer than modern sport coats and it has padding in the shoulders; otherwise, it fits superbly. Does this one have the same attributes? Do these make mine unwearable in your opinion? I don’t want to look outdated.

mjl left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:28 AM:

my favorite blazer is one i picked up at a vintage store for $8.  it’s a wool herringbone mostly grey with a bunch of other colors woven in that goes with everything i own from jeans to dress.  all i had to do was take it in a pinch.  i’ve kept my eye out for a killer red one, but with no luck. nice grab fred!

Carly left a comment on 12/5/2011 at 11:19 AM:

Ask me about the Dutch guys from Henley!!! They had amazing stories behind their blazers!!!

• Newer Posts Older Posts