• Peaked Interest

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: double breasted tweed suit, unbuttoned bottom button, tassel loafers. This gentleman, specifically, could benefit from no break in his trouser to produce the appearance of additional height.

Feb 22, 2012 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

McBindle left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 2:25 PM:

Nice fabric and classic peak lapel. In regards to the overall fit and the gentleman’s body type, Castleberry is right on point today.

@DBCC - yes indeed.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 12:09 PM:

@bucephalus—Certainly good points; however, you’ve overlooked one thing: this gentleman isn’t fat.

Matthew left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 8:25 AM:

Wow, lively tailoring opinions! Love seeing such varying thoughts on subjects like this! And this guy clearly carries a lifetime of personal style with him, I presume he’s fully aware of the details of his suit that we’re so fervently discussing. My father is much the same way, he always recognizes the perfections and imperfections of what he is wearing, and embraces each respectively (my dad: “brown wings don’t match a charcoal suit? What? Screw it! Im 60! Im bald! I say it matches cause i like it!”) The devil-may-care/g-t-h approach changes as you age. This guy (as well as my father) would look ridiculous in kelly green skinny rolled chinos! His gth? Wicked trouser break, and HUGE (read: anti-current-trend) lapels! However, they’re implemented on a PERFECTLY on-trend db tweed suit! Never underestimate the seasoned gentleman. Often times, they know exactly what they’re doing…

bucephalus left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 7:38 AM:

Slim silhouettes are for slim people.  A fat person should not have an arbitrarily slim silhouette.

Yes, this guy needs shorter sleeves and a much shorter trouser hem.  But zero break only works with a narrow leg opening like 15” or 16”, and you can only have a narrow leg opening on a slim man.  Narrow pant legs on a fat man only emphasize the amplitude of his mid-section.

And a slight break is perfectly acceptable, especially on a wider leg opening.  I’ve never understood the supposed heightening effect of zero break hems.  If zero break makes you look taller, then why do the zero-breakers also typically wear cuffs on their trousers, sometimes more than 2” ??? The cuffs, by breaking the smooth lines, undo the heightening effect just as much as medium break.  In other words, if cuffs are acceptable, then so should a slight break.

A shorter jacket is fine if you are slim.  You already have a waist.  But a certain amount of length on a jacket gives a fat man the illusion of waist—especially on a DB which is already widening.  A shorter jacket on this guy will give him the look of a stubby torso with legs only a tad longer looking.

George left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 1:18 AM:

I appreciate your consideration of a gentleman with a few years under his belt and the gray hair to prove it. All your photos are fine work, and this shot demonstrates your inclusive outlook…it’s not always the young bucks and babes, but quality fashion wherever it is encountered. Point well-taken about the break of the pants, but I look at it as an opportunity to learn, not to deride, and I think you do, too. I’m not convinced about the tassles, but that’s just me; the brown, as has already been pointed out, is a refreshing sight. Nice image, Fred.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 9:27 PM:

@M Arthur—I think his skirt could be raised a little higher as well while still covering his bum. No break in his trousers would flatter him the most though. Every guy I know wouldn’t mind appearing a little taller.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 9:23 PM:

Love the Tassel loafer and Tweed combination here. Really well done.

Good point about the break.

M Arthur left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 9:20 PM:

I’d be interested in seeing a shorter skirt on his jacket right about where his left hand knuckles are and moving up from a full break to a medium break.

Vic Delta left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 5:51 PM:

I took some new cords into the chop shop last week. I told the guy to cuff them just like what I have on. “Too short!!” He says.
    Too funny.

DBCC left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 1:09 PM:

I’d also like to add how positively this dude stands out in a sea of black and navy suited up men.

DBCC left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 12:35 PM:

Agreed - lose the break in the pants, slim the jacket and pants, and shorten the sleeve length and this guy will appear ten pounds lighter and might even have a shot at the beautiful blonde in the background…but let’s not get carried away.

• Over the Shoulder

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: cropped trench coat worn over the shoulders.

Feb 21, 2012 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Haus and Home left a comment on 2/23/2012 at 7:51 AM:

Wish I could pull off the trench over the shoulder. I always wrap the belt to “cinch” my waist. :)

Larissa left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 2:54 PM:

That’s Cupcakes and Cashmere! (Emily)

RCN left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 11:10 AM:

Simple and yet very sexy!

DBCC left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 11:09 AM:

Fantastic shot, Fred.

• Click!

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY by Tommy Ton for GQ

Rig:
    Thomas Pink houndstooth cashmere scarf
    Rugby university stripe tab collar sport shirt
    • alligator watch strap
    • Ralph Lauren Purple Label club tie
    Norman Hilton cashmere/wool navy blazer
    Lookmatic tortoise eyeglasses

Feb 20, 2012 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

Bunny left a comment on 2/16/2014 at 12:27 PM:

@FEC Just curious as to what settings/modes you would be shooting in, during a shoot such as this?

Ace left a comment on 2/24/2012 at 4:42 PM:

Style bloggers taking photos of other style bloggers taking pictures of style bloggers for their style blogs.

Desmond K left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 4:33 PM:

@FEC—For some reason i just cant bring myself to wear my blue blazer with dark denim. I’ll give it a go one day. Was this something that ever bothered you?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 12:24 PM:

@AH—I was wearing dark selvedge denim.

Richard Ross left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 12:09 PM:

@AH—His paint splattered Gant khakis.

AH left a comment on 2/22/2012 at 6:26 AM:

What pants were you wearing with this?

brokeandbespoke.tumblr.com left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 10:05 PM:

i thought this was FEC when i frist came across the pic from a different source—looking crispy!

David left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 9:55 PM:

Fred, first off I really love the scarf here, I am ordering one as we speak.

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 7:27 PM:

How do you get your hair high like that? It is very, very good.

Sasha left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 11:16 AM:

@ AEV and FEC—Thank you. Just ordered the brown alligator band.

Also, great comment on the not washing hair everyday. Let your hair’s natural oils improve the form. I usually apply a little Paul Mitchell medium hold/semi-matte styling cream once every four/five days after a shampoo. I find that the hold usually improves on the second or third day. I wear my hair in a similar style to FEC, though a bit shorter and much curlier.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 11:09 AM:

@Brad—It simply means skipping out on the shampoo/conditioner every now and then.

Brad left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 11:06 AM:

I’ve also heard that not washing one’s hair everyday is the best way to maintain a healthy head of hair, but I’m wondering - does this simply mean that when you shower you don’t shampoo/condition your hair, or does it mean that you don’t even run water through your hair?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 10:18 AM:

@K—No worries. I use Bed Head (for men) Matte Separation Workable Wax. The key to maintaining a healthy head of hair is not washing it too often—every 3-4 days is plenty. Sometimes I go as long as a week when I’m not working product into it everyday.

@Sasha—As AEV mentioned, Hadley-Roma is a great “Made in the USA” manufacturer to buy from for alligator straps. Although Hadley-Roma requires you to be contacted by a sales rep in order to buy, pick up your alligator Hadley-Roma from Strapped for Time for a more immediate buying experience.

K left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 8:53 AM:

This question is kinda wrong in a lot of ways, but.. What kind of hair-products do you use?

AEV left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 8:22 AM:

@Sasha - Google Hadley-Roma….some of he nicest US made watch bands around…including croc/alligator styles.

Sasha left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 2:07 AM:

Do you have a suggestion for where to buy a nice alligator watch strap? I recently purchased 1956 Omega Constellation. The watch is in immaculate condition, but the dealer placed an imitation alligator strap on there. I want the real deal.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 4:22 PM:

@Chase—Thanks. My right hand is plenty strong enough to support my camera while I focus the lens with my left.

Chase left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 4:19 PM:

I love everything about this picture except how you’re holding your camera. I’ve found that placing your hand under the lens provides much greater support and produces sharper pictures. (Actually, exactly how the guy in the background is holding his lens).

• Hacking 101

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (Columbia University)

Noteworthy: I appreciate everything about this young lady's look down to her round eye glasses but these few things specifically—vintage Prince Albert slippers, tweed hacking jacket, pleated trouser.

Feb 17, 2012 | Permalink (18) View/Leave Comments

Agemetto left a comment on 5/9/2012 at 6:23 PM:

And I fundamentally disagree with the comment that true prep is completely unisex.  That’s too uniform and constrictive, thank you.

Agametto left a comment on 5/9/2012 at 6:21 PM:

Appreciate everything except the velvet slippers.  It’s the one piece that topples the look into costume territory.

Michael E Campbell, Esq left a comment on 5/7/2012 at 7:31 PM:

I could find myself easily falling for a woman dressed like this…

jodapophort left a comment on 4/24/2012 at 4:06 AM:

Хочу Вам показать замечательный сайт, где очень много всего. Каждый найдет для себя то, что искал. Вот посмотрите:
    <a >минет бесплатно</a>. Зайдите на этот сайт, и не пожалеете!

Ann left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 8:48 PM:

Love the recent photos on campus. I don’t remember it being that stylish when I was there. :)

Miss Margarita left a comment on 2/21/2012 at 2:39 AM:

Love the colours!

Paul left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 4:17 PM:

Another beautiful photo!

Sophie left a comment on 2/19/2012 at 12:54 PM:

I love this lady’s style! I wonder if she has considered a sharper bob hairstyle - would accentuate the look further.

Trailer Trad left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 7:00 PM:

Annie Hall, call your office. Brilliant!

agw left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 6:24 PM:

anyone else having trouble finding women’s white bucks? i’ve found the cole haan alisa oxford line and like the color combos. which of the colors would you ladies opt for my first order of this style?

MGM left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 11:06 AM:

The true prep aesthetic is, and will continue to be, fundamentally UNISEX.  This picture is the perfect example.  That is what distinguished the prep look from every other look, IMHO.  Girls and Boys can both rock it in exactly the same way.

Amanda left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 2:22 AM:

Love it! Very similar to how I dress. I go to school at a private, Baptist college in south Georgia (perfect place to be unabashedly prep, right?) and have been appalled by how other students dress there.
    I personally rock wingtips, dark jeans for casual or Brooke Bros skirts with OCBDs, pearls and herringbone, cord or navy blazers. For eyewear, I’m loyal to either small RB aviators, tort/ yellow Wayfarers or tort/ green Personal wayfarers.
    It’s already getting hot in Georgia; I can’t wait to break out my red or cobalt go-to-hell pants during our (mandatory) weekly Chapel!
    Thanks for bringing the prep movement back into the forefront, FEC! Whenever wearing wingtips without socks I refer to the look at “unabashedly Castleberry”!

Elizabeth left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 9:58 PM:

She looks wonderful. This is the sort of look I prefer myself, but I can never manage to carry off the velvet slippers, too.

M Arthur left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 9:35 PM:

Very well put together.  The jacket fits beautifully, fab pants color!  She has a sophistIcated look about her that not everyone can pull off.  Bravo.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 8:47 PM:

My goodness, she’s exceedingly cute…!

I didn’t know Harlem could look so good. ;-)

john left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 7:58 PM:

I would have to agree with you on all points. Very attractive as well.

finn left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 3:49 PM:

random, but where did you go to college/ high school?

George left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 3:46 PM:

I agree…it’s the total package. If there is an archetype for a preppy lady, this has to be her.

• Brown Beans

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY (Columbia University)

Noteworthy: L.L. Bean Boots, navy peacoat.

Feb 16, 2012 | Permalink (23) View/Leave Comments

Brad left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 4:53 PM:

@Jed - I’m almost certain that the gentleman in the picture is wearing the Bayswater peacoat by J.Crew (http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/Sale/AllProducts/PRDOVR~87195/99101283816/ENE~1+2+3+22+4294967294+20~~~20+16+4294967201~15~~~~~~~/87195.jsp). The coat (regular or with Thinsulate lining) is currently on sale.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 3:17 PM:

@Jed—Look no further than Schott, the original makers of the naval pea coat.

Jed left a comment on 2/20/2012 at 3:05 PM:

I really need a jacket like that, that is actually good quality where could I get one?

Warren left a comment on 2/19/2012 at 3:42 PM:

L.L. Bean is having a 20% off promotion on their website through Tuesday the 21st.

HarrisonK left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 5:20 PM:

@Brad - I would assume he’s wearing the 6”-8” boot. (http://bit.ly/A3wXbo). Those seem to be the most popular boots.  I do not think these ever go on sale.

Brad left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 4:07 PM:

Are these the boots (http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/22812?feat=506698-GN3&attrValue_0=Tan/Brown) this gentleman is wearing? When it’s summer, do you know if these boots go on sale? Or are they just too iconic?

bbloke left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 10:08 AM:

Great look.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 12:41 AM:

@anon & Finn—GBallard is right, I graduated from Hardin-Simmons University (just as it has said on my Facebook account since 2007).

gballard left a comment on 2/18/2012 at 12:33 AM:

@Anon—Hardin-Simmons University.

Anon left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 9:14 PM:

Since Fred is from Dallas, I’m assuming he went to SMU… SMU also has an undergraduate business program, so the Finance degree would make sense.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 8:51 PM:

@dhhi—No, it wasn’t Ivy.

dhhi left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 8:43 PM:

was it ivy league?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 7:30 PM:

@Taylor & Finn—I graduated from a private school with a degree in Finance in 3.5 years.

Taylor left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 7:23 PM:

@Finn.  I don’t think FEC went to college.

Aggie K left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 6:22 PM:

His pea coat is perfect.

trip left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 3:49 PM:

Yeah, this is solid, and something I (and others) would actually wear.

finn left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 3:49 PM:

random, but where did you go to college/high school?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 3:37 PM:

@marsocho—I was simply referring to the brown color of his Bean Boots. These titles are simply for fun and are often tongue-in-cheek. Don’t over think them.

Victor left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 2:36 PM:

@marsocho.  Perhaps FEC was referring to the fact the the boots are brown themselves.

marsocho left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 2:26 PM:

A+ on the look.  F on the play on words.  african-american guy wearing beans = brown beans?  or are you talking about the brownstone buildings?  in any event, it’s not clear.

MGM left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 12:18 PM:

Yea, this look is perfect.

cam left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 12:03 PM:

this IS it

AEV left a comment on 2/17/2012 at 12:01 PM:

Perfect. Finally.

• Newer Posts Older Posts