• A Jacket for Life

Prep Essentials  

When it comes to coats, there is Barbour…and there is everything else. From the moment the olive waxed cotton hugs your frame and the corduroy collar kisses the nape of your neck, an enigmatic bond is formed not unheard of to span three decades. A recent documentary, A Jacket for Life, showcases the 30-year love affairs several Barbour owners have with their jackets—revealing why those relationships last longer than many marriages.

It also pulls back the curtain of a customer service center where beat-to-hell, but still stylish coats are emitted for repairs. Each garment is meticulously repaired by one Barbour machinist who does all the work needed to restore the coat to its former glory. Don't get too attached though, you'll likely be sharing it once you have teenagers.

Jul 31, 2012 | Permalink (12) View/Leave Comments

Gunnar left a comment on 1/15/2013 at 3:12 AM:

Just bought a brand new Barbour Beaufort for 133 pounds.. Best buy of my life!

Grace left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 2:25 PM:

Ironic timing since I’m currently saving my teenage minimum wages and allowance for one! They’re just so perfect, though.

Jan left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 8:05 AM:

Lovely for us to read your comments and know you like our film.  Read our diary about the film-making process if you want to find out more http://jancawood.wordpress.com/

PSP left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 12:25 AM:

Hi ZRA,
    I would recommend the Beaufort.  It is not too long.  I have had mine since 1990.  Barbour makes a removable zip in liner which I would recommend.  It makes the coat suitable for both winter and fall.

Joe left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 10:53 AM:

I have a 20 year old Beaufort that is a Ducks Unlimited editon, priceless…Best investment ever in clothing, all 4 of mine are good to go.  Best repair service in the civlized world.

ZRA left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 10:32 AM:

FE-
    Which model would you recommend for gentlemen? I can’t seem to decide which one I’d like the most, and I’m interested in your opinion.

Best,
    ZRA

Kristen Sayan left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 10:24 AM:

I got my first Barbour when I was 18 and it was used as intended-for riding and foxhunting in foul weather. Now, more than 20 years later, I have added a new Barbour for “fashion,” though my old one accompanies me to the barn on rainy mornings.  For riders, the arms are the first thing to wear out. I have had full arm patches put on mine.

Tobias left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 8:31 AM:

My 20 + yr old Bedale is in the “shop” being re-waxed as we speak.

Josh left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 8:20 AM:

I grew up with Barbour jackets. At school, they were not considered cool, but I still love the smell of a damp Barbour hanging up, drying out.
    They really are a great brand, and not worth going with any imitation.
    They are also guaranteed for life. When the wax starts to wear out, you can just send it back to them and they’ll rewax it. Now that’s customer service

Preposity.com

NJGlenn left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 8:14 AM:

Excellent! I got my first Barbour back in 95’ (Border, needed the length for commuting to NYC in a suit). Now that this one is nicely broken in, I just picked up a NWOT Beufort on ebay for a fraction of what I paid new 17 years ago.

Glenn left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 8:05 AM:

Brilliant video! I’ve owned a Barbour since the early 80s it so true about the Barbour Jacket! Worth the investment!

Kionon left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 2:05 AM:

The essence of prep is clothing that works and clothing that lasts. Barbour does both.

• Breton Stripes

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: vintage Gucci surcingle belt (snaffle bit hardware on back), Breton stripe dress.

Jul 26, 2012 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

Fabio left a comment on 10/5/2012 at 7:50 AM:

She’s hot!

Great work. I mentioned you on my blog among the sites worth to see.

Fabio,
    The Bespoke Dudes

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 9/18/2012 at 3:02 PM:

@Rosie—No, no, she is someone else’s wife.

Rosie left a comment on 8/28/2012 at 2:18 PM:

Lovely! Is she your Wife?! ; )

G .Pearson left a comment on 8/9/2012 at 12:58 AM:

I love seeing a young women in pearls! Perfect

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/7/2012 at 9:02 PM:

@AEV—If you go back and read comments where I’ve spoken on the matter, I list specific items whenever I’m featured or pieces of my wardrobe are. I do this simply because if I didn’t, I’d be emailing the many people who would be asking about it. In regards to when other people are featured, I typically do not get into specific brands save when it is noteworthy. Here, a vintage Gucci surcingle belt is certainly noteworthy in my opinion.

Kat left a comment on 8/7/2012 at 8:18 PM:

Wow.  She is simply stunning.  What a classic look.

Shep left a comment on 8/7/2012 at 7:49 PM:

Wow!  Stunning…

gbourgeaiseau left a comment on 8/7/2012 at 1:59 PM:

Very, very pretty.

ALYRICLIFESTYLE left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 3:22 PM:

Natural, understated and truly elegant. Great shot. #hardwoodfloorenvy

Twitter: @alyriclifestyle & @weareamore

Kendra left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 2:32 PM:

Lovely outfit.  I’d wear that on a casual Friday in a heart beat!  And the vintage belt adds just the right touch.

Closet Confections

Angel left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 2:01 PM:

Beautiful! Nothing else worth saying. Well done.

Angel’s Point of View

Paul left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 1:15 PM:

One of the best, Fred. Totally classy.

CHK left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 12:05 PM:

AEV - New challenge: make a genuine compliment, without following it with snotty remark.

AEV left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 11:00 AM:

Classic, restrained, stylish, seemingly honest.

Fred, I thought you refrained listing brands? Your last two posts seem particularly reliant on their specific promotion, no?

y l hollander left a comment on 8/6/2012 at 8:50 AM:

She looks like every college girl I fell in love with 30 years ago (when I was but a high school lad), right down to the Gucci belt. Timeless. Lovely.

Nic left a comment on 8/5/2012 at 10:14 PM:

She looks positively lovely, and I quite like the vintage skis on the wall behind her

Desmond K left a comment on 8/5/2012 at 9:21 PM:

You captured one heck of an image!! Love those hardwood floors too.

Chinos & Cheesecake

• Table for Two

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY by Sara Kerens

Noteworthy: Tortaria, on the corner of 12th and University, creates these incredible Mexican sandwiches served up in a well-worn atmosphere.

Jul 24, 2012 | Permalink (15) View/Leave Comments

David left a comment on 12/15/2012 at 5:10 PM:

Fred, what do you make of Rugby closing ?

Jonathan left a comment on 9/1/2012 at 1:00 AM:

@FEC Brilliant Blazer/Shirt/PocketSq pairing… where is the madras shirt from?

Chase left a comment on 8/22/2012 at 4:19 PM:

@Marvin J - This particular sportcoat is by Rugby, and has been on sale for the last few weeks. It’s a linen/silk/wool blend, probably best suited for warmer climates.

Dan Abnormal - These frames are by Lookmatic.

emjkmj left a comment on 8/4/2012 at 6:57 PM:

looking sharp…

C.L. Young left a comment on 7/31/2012 at 9:24 AM:

Castleberry, you really know how to “put it together”! I become braver with my style each time I check out your blog.
    I like the overall look: The unbuttoned shirt cuffs on that madras shirt remind me of Lino Leluzzi, whose style I really dig! The jacket is killer and the pocket square makes it all interesting! By the way, if you don’t mind me asking, by whom is the pocket square? I could certainly pair it with my “Churchill” inspired bow tie!

dapperdan left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 8:44 PM:

Fred, please tell us more about your hair. How do you style it and any product you use?

Dan Abnormal left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 5:32 PM:

Like the tasteful frames. Are they Moscot?

Marvin J. left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 3:45 PM:

Despite the fact that wearing a blazer like the one in this picture in the Atlanta heat would be incredibly ludicrous on my part, where can one grab a blazer similar to the one you are wearing in this picture? It would be for the northern fall/winter season of course.

Jason Thomas / Compan Man left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 3:38 PM:

like a lesson in pattern mixing, really spot on

y l hollander left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 11:55 AM:

Terrific look! Curious as to the pants, belt & shoes. Makes me long for Fall, or at least a break from the miserable triple-digits we’re dealing with here in The Flyover.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 8:28 AM:

@Sam—I definitely recommend it. Great counter service spot. Reminds me a little of home.

Sam left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 7:29 AM:

I walked past this place yesterday. Looked interesting. I take it, you recommend?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 7/29/2012 at 9:30 PM:

@Brad—Linen/silk/wool sport coat is from Rugby.

Brad left a comment on 7/29/2012 at 9:13 PM:

Sports coat by…?

Desmond K left a comment on 7/29/2012 at 8:56 PM:

The shirt and blazer pairing is beautiful…

• Wardrobe XII

Dress Code  

1. Ralph Lauren oxford cloth button down dress shirt
    2. Rugby limited edition Cone Denim (made in the USA) jean
    3. Church's navy suede tassel loafers
    4. Ralph Lauren silk knit tie

Jul 19, 2012 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

Desi left a comment on 8/5/2012 at 4:26 AM:

Those are the nicest tassel loafers I have ever seen.

• Prim and Proper

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: this young gentleman and I met when he recognized me during the summer film festival at Bryant Park one Monday evening. I really liked his 50s vintage Czech timepiece by Prim (a gift from his girlfriend). The break on his Nantucket reds is perfect here—an all around solid uniform for the summer.

Jul 17, 2012 | Permalink (11) View/Leave Comments

ernie left a comment on 12/8/2012 at 6:27 PM:

dude has some bulging calves. me so jealous

zuizogzuoluhzlö left a comment on 10/24/2012 at 2:55 PM:

very british

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/4/2012 at 6:06 PM:

@Brad—I’d go with 1 1/2” cuff.

Brad left a comment on 8/4/2012 at 2:35 PM:

What’s the best cuff size? J. Crew lets me choose either 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 inches for their essential chino. (I’d rather just go with one of these options than having to pay a tailor to cuff them.)

cam left a comment on 8/1/2012 at 3:53 PM:

@AEV - the cut looks to be the Rugby Vintage University Chino in Red

AEV left a comment on 8/1/2012 at 10:29 AM:

Fred - are these actual Murray’s Nantucket Reds? They don’t appear to be….

C.L. Young left a comment on 8/1/2012 at 9:11 AM:

I really like the pants. The color is just right. It seems to take years to get that perfect faded “salmon” color (if not bought that way). You really can’t go wrong with a blue gingham shirt shirt paired with nantuckets. It would be cool to see a different pairing rather than the expected.

MGM left a comment on 7/31/2012 at 5:24 PM:

I agree—- for this look, the break on the pants (and the fact that they are cuffed) is perfect.  Just great.  However, I would only add that this break is appropriate ONLY for this look.  In other words, a break like this for a business suit (in a business setting) would NOT be appropriate.  In fact, I tried it once, and had to explain myself the entire day.  Of course, I assured myself that the people I encounter in my professional life DO NOT understand style, but that does not get you very far in terms of the business world.  But, with all that being said, I think this look is perfect FOR WHAT IT IS—a preppy casual look.  Perfect.

WMM left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 5:11 PM:

This is how easy it’s supposed to be.

Makaga left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 11:51 AM:

Will you attend any more of the Movie Nights?  If it doesn’t rain, I hope to make it to Rebel without a Cause tonight.

Catherine Hannum left a comment on 7/30/2012 at 9:56 AM:

is that an engine-turned slide belt buckle? love those. especially with a monogram. solid ensemble.

• Older Posts