• Perfection

Miscellany  

Aug 14, 2012 | Permalink (1) View/Leave Comments

Trailer Trad left a comment on 8/23/2012 at 7:19 AM:

Best definition of style that I’ve ever read. Thanks!

• Three’s Company

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: no socks, Gucci snaffle bit loafer, contrast repp stripe tie.

Aug 9, 2012 | Permalink (20) View/Leave Comments

Charles Simpson left a comment on 2/14/2013 at 11:15 AM:

Hey there, another really insightful post! Would be interesting to see what you though of my latest post on canvas strapped watches.
    Cheers, Charlie

http://cdgsimpson.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-guide-to-canvas-strap-watches.html

Andrew left a comment on 11/3/2012 at 9:12 AM:

Best part: their pants have a break in them. Haven’t seen that in pictures for a long time and it’s refreshing.

Laguna Beach Fogey left a comment on 9/2/2012 at 10:54 AM:

Love the Gucci loafers…!

HarrisonK left a comment on 8/21/2012 at 6:52 AM:

Who is the guy in the center?  I think hes dressed the best.  Simple dark wash denim, classic navy blazer, white OCBD, simple tie and pocket square, and bit loafers; an appropriate outfit for just about any setting.

Don left a comment on 8/21/2012 at 12:59 AM:

Jack looks like Jim Prideaux from Tinker Tailor

Trailer Trad left a comment on 8/19/2012 at 7:14 PM:

These guys are doing it right. -And appearing to have a lot of fun while doing it.

Max left a comment on 8/19/2012 at 6:42 PM:

Great picture.  Is it me or does the guy on the left look like Ewan McGregor?

cam left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 5:23 PM:

I really like K. Cooper Ray’s ties and I look forward to them as well as his new line of blazers.

AEV left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 4:39 PM:

Jack’s looks is solid - love the restraint and ease of it.

Caron left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 1:45 PM:

Jack is a heart-throb!

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 1:26 PM:

@Sarah and Hanna—Dressing like Jack is but only one way to skin this cat. Fashion involves emotion, expression, imagination. This photograph captures not only slightly different generations but slightly different styles within this preppy world we all know and love. These gentlemen have probably 10 years in between each of them, and yet we all sit around the tiny tables in Bemelmans just the same. Each one has their own twist on things yet share a common foundation in the approach of classic dressing. I appreciate all three looks here and my own personal style echoes various elements here.

Derek Shiekhi left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 12:32 PM:

I love the bit loafers and the guy-on-the-left’s jacket and his tie’s red surprise (although his pocket square looks like it’s trying to take over.)

Hanna left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 12:31 PM:

What Sarah said. Exactly.

Sarah left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 12:24 PM:

And the nice thing about Jack is that he dresses like an adult. All the neo-prepsters should take one look at Jack and start dressing like him.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 11:32 AM:

@ANH—That is Jack.

ANH left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 11:29 AM:

Who is the sharp gentleman on the far right?

K. Cooper Ray left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 11:23 AM:

Yes, that pocket square is exuberant. Was that a pigeon in my pocket or was I just happy to see F.E.?

Timothy left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 9:44 AM:

The guy on the right gets it: Restraint and natural style.

y l hollander left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 8:31 AM:

Loving both pairs of bit loafers. Mr. Ray seems to be showing an overly generous amount of pocket square, but that’s casual elegance for you, I suppose.

Kevin left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 12:35 AM:

Love the shoes on light blue.

• Wardrobe XIII

Style | Dress Code  

Last weekend, a group of friends and I packed up the car (last minute) and headed south to Firefly music festival despite the wet forecast. My vintage Mighty Mac was one of the few things I grabbed while running out the door. Originally based out of Gloucester, Massachusetts, Mighty-Mac was a popular sportswear brand up until the late '80s, known for making stylish and functional clothing for boating. Despite closing up shop around 1989-1990, 35 summers of Japan recently acquired the rights to the name and are now recreating the same jackets that were made decades ago in its original quality. I picked up my late 80s model gently used and then had it tailored in all the right spots. Notwithstanding the rain, The Killers did put on the best show I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing and I stayed plenty dry.

1. FujiFilm X-Pro1 rangefinder camera
    2. Mighty Mac of Gloucester jacket
    3. Ralph Lauren whale embroidered chino short
    4. vintage Omega Seamaster wristwatch with Rugby nylon watch band

Aug 7, 2012 | Permalink (8) View/Leave Comments

PSP left a comment on 9/6/2012 at 10:00 PM:

Great pick on the Might Mac jacket.  Do you know where I can find one?

Kingston left a comment on 8/29/2012 at 7:52 PM:

The Gold, Silver and Bronze of Prep: Stylin’ - Prep & Maiden http://www.prepandmaiden.com/articles-1/stylin/

PSP left a comment on 8/22/2012 at 9:21 PM:

FEC I purchased the blue and white J Press band really liked it for Summer.  FYI for fans of the Vintage Seamaster there are currently a few up for auction on Liveauctioneers.

mike left a comment on 8/18/2012 at 4:16 PM:

Is it possible that you might model the Mighty-Mac for a future post. I’d love to see what it looks like.

S/Amatourist left a comment on 8/15/2012 at 5:00 PM:

like the watchband. just got one - almost identical - from J Press in DC earlier this summer. ran into the speaker of the Texas House while there. love it when time and place just come together. i was wondering… how do you shoot your gear? light box? i’ve struggled like hell with mine… everything washes out on white bg, though i think i’ll give colored paper a shot. ~SAM

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 8/15/2012 at 4:17 PM:

@Tom—There wasn’t exactly a tropical storm during Firefly, so yes, my jacket kept me dry.

@Desmond K—I was in my leather boat shoes all weekend.

Tom left a comment on 8/15/2012 at 8:08 AM:

A 25 year old cotton pullover jacket was waterproof?

Desmond K left a comment on 8/15/2012 at 7:54 AM:

Eternally jealous of u. The killers have been one of my favorites for a while. Out of curiosity, what kind of footwear did u pack in preparation for the rainy weather?

Chinos & Cheesecake

• Go Monastic

Top Drawer | Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: comes homes to this lovely lady every evening. In all seriousness, I don't want to list everything here as noteworthy, but it really is. Pay attention to the details here. The wingtip monks, the lack of break in the white jean, the spread collar, the vintage wristwatch...etc, etc. Great southern sensibility. In fact, I first met this gentleman when he was working at Sid Mashburn's shop.

Aug 2, 2012 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

Big Jon left a comment on 9/4/2012 at 8:59 PM:

This is a cool look. It’s definitly something I would wear. By the way, what does that say on his arm?

Derek Shiekhi left a comment on 8/17/2012 at 12:44 PM:

Gingham shirt and monk straps?  A man after my own heart.  Bonus points for a proper umbrella and rainboots.

JRenee left a comment on 8/14/2012 at 5:45 PM:

Great shot, FE.

NJGlenn left a comment on 8/13/2012 at 6:51 PM:

Perfect Summer outfit.  I may be biased though, I was wearing a very similar rig today. (RL driving loafers instead of monks).

Paul left a comment on 8/13/2012 at 11:30 AM:

What an adorable couple. I admire thier floors.

J left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 5:32 PM:

Funny title.

Daniel left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 10:37 AM:

Thanks for showcasing understated, tasteful style. Great profiles, FEC!

DBCC left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 9:07 AM:

Awesome work, Fred.  They seem like a great couple.  Love the denim.  I would have thrown some Wurkin Stiffs in or gone with a non-spread collar when sans tie, but I understand the effortlessness.  What does his tattoo read?

Desmond K left a comment on 8/10/2012 at 6:17 AM:

Nothing like a happy home. It makes coming home on the bus, train, or in traffic a little less unpleasant. They look to be an awesome couple that would provide great company on a double date.

• Newer Posts