• Susan Bennis Warren Edwards Tassel Loafers

Style  

Susan Bennis Warren Edwards sold the most expensive shoes in New York City out of their West 57th Street boutique in the ostentatious 80s and early 90s. Everyone from Bruce Springsteen to Jackie O. flocked to the exotic skins Bennis and Edwards employed in their designs. While the team disbanded after 20 years (1977-1997), they designed some sublime (and some would later consider excessive) Italian handmade shoes. This pair of tassel loafers in dark brown lizard caught my eye while perusing the Manhattan Vintage Clothing Show this past weekend. Anyone that knows me well is familiar with my burgeoning tassel loafer problem collection—so naturally, I had to have them. While originally retailing upwards of $1100, they came home with me for only $150. And yeah, the woven label screams “American Psycho” but there’s something charming about that.

Feb 4, 2013 | Permalink (10) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 5/22/2013 at 9:16 PM:

@Ken—How’s that for perspective!

ken left a comment on 2/20/2013 at 4:14 AM:

The last time I heard about this brand Susan Bennis Warren Edwards are back in the 80s when I’m still in University. My college mate bought a pair for $700; back in the 80s, $700 was huge because back then a Brooks Brothers BD shirt was $33! I still have the Susan Bennis Ad from my GQ mag & M mag collection dated back in the 80s. Nostalgic!

J.B. Cavazos left a comment on 2/6/2013 at 2:50 PM:

How the HECK do you score lizard loafers for $150?  I live in Texas, deals like this just don’t exist.

M Arthur left a comment on 2/5/2013 at 9:33 PM:

Nice find FEC!!  They look mint!

khordkutta left a comment on 2/5/2013 at 6:14 PM:

niiice.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/4/2013 at 7:13 PM:

@Al—Definitely at least once.

@Makaga—I was there on Saturday. Sounds like you found some nice things for yourself as well.

Al left a comment on 2/4/2013 at 4:11 PM:

@FEC I believe these shoes were referenced quite a bit in the novel American Psycho.

Makaga left a comment on 2/4/2013 at 2:20 PM:

Good score, Castleberry.  What day were you there?  I walked away with a detachable Arrow collar and a nice ascot.  My GF picked up an amazing Lanvin dress once owned by a DuPont.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 2/4/2013 at 12:44 PM:

@AEV—No sir, these are men’s shoes…I bought them for me.

AEV left a comment on 2/4/2013 at 12:42 PM:

I assume you bought these for your girlfriend, yes?

• Elizabeth McKay AW12

Style  

Last spring, I shot Elizabeth McKay’s 2012 autumn/winter collection in their own backyard of Central Park. Scouting for the shoot was a fun opportunity to discover corners, coves, and openings of the 843 acre park I’d never seen before. It was only now that I realized I never shared any of my favorite images with you lovely people, hence its belated nature. But just because it’s 2013 ladies, doesn’t mean you still can’t pick up this exploded houndstooth silk wrap dress (one of my favorites from the line) at their eCommerce shop.

Feb 1, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Tartangirl left a comment on 3/2/2013 at 8:17 AM:

The houndstooth dress is lovely.

RP left a comment on 2/5/2013 at 11:08 PM:

Beautiful photography—Seen all over tumblr, with no credit. You deserve it.

Barbara left a comment on 2/2/2013 at 12:26 PM:

I remember looking at those photos when they came out, thinking whoever shot them did a beautiful job.  That houndstooth is fabulous.  Great work!!!

Carla left a comment on 2/2/2013 at 8:05 AM:

Love these dresses—www.motownsavvy.com

• Newer Posts