• Pick Up the Bill

Dress Code  

Photographed in Brooklyn, NY

Noteworthy: cotton cable crewneck sweater, signet ring, custom long-billed cap.

You may remember Ali of A Noble Savage from the photo story I shot of his place in Brooklyn two years ago. The way he approaches clothes is this eccentric cocktail of classic, vintage luxe, and street. You can always see the preppy undertones though.

May 31, 2013 | Permalink (2) View/Leave Comments

Harry left a comment on 6/10/2013 at 1:49 PM:

What, if you don’t mind me asking, do you do for a living?

Alexander left a comment on 6/10/2013 at 11:32 AM:

That was two years ago already? I’ve been reading your blog for too long.

• Icons of Style: Lauren Hutton

Style  

In her closet: Trench coats, blazers, chunky sweaters, canvas sneakers, polos, cardigans, denim, oxford cloth button downs, Bengal striped dress shirts, denim skirts, silk blouses, silk head scarves

Iconic look: Tailored blazer, white button up shirt, trousers, panama hat

Key accessories: Panama hat

Thing you can't imitate: Her signature gap-toothed smile

May 29, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/14/2013 at 12:26 PM:

@RAYmOND—I couldn’t agree more.

RAYmOND left a comment on 6/14/2013 at 11:43 AM:

Lauren Hutton = Goddess…nuff said.

M Arthur left a comment on 6/10/2013 at 11:31 PM:

Championship woman.

E R III left a comment on 6/10/2013 at 9:50 PM:

She’s one of my favorites!!! I met her at a party once she was super sweet!!! Such a great choice F.E.C.

• Published in Quest, June 2013

Miscellany  

Quest magazine, New York’s last magazine devoted to “Society,” just published a feature on the rowing blazers book my colleague Jack Carlson and I have been working on for the last two years. These are the first photographs from the project to see the light of day. The on-location shoots in New England, Netherlands, and England have yielded some of my favorite portraiture work to date. Look for the coffee table book in 2014.

May 27, 2013 | Permalink (17) View/Leave Comments

Hunter left a comment on 10/18/2013 at 10:21 AM:

I love that you visited Kent School to get a photo of Kyle in his KSBC outfit. But he isnt the only Kent alum in the spread, Emerson Curry rowed for KSBC as well.  Well done all around.

Danger left a comment on 6/14/2013 at 10:47 AM:

@ f.e. castleberry - what’s the title of the book, so that i can keep a look out?

RP left a comment on 6/11/2013 at 9:38 AM:

The photos look wonderful. Will have to make sure to pick up a hard-copy of the issue before its taken off newsstands in the city.

Chens left a comment on 6/10/2013 at 10:21 AM:

Ah yes, I should’ve known.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/8/2013 at 8:14 AM:

@Chens—The question begs to be asked, whose check?

Chens left a comment on 6/8/2013 at 8:05 AM:

Hope the check clears.

KGC left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 5:10 PM:

As a rower and lover of fashion I love how the two mix so well. Amazing photos !

Victoria left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 4:26 PM:

The feature looks great! Can’t wait for 2014

Eric W. left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 4:24 PM:

Amazing book! Can’t wait to order 10 copies.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 4:23 PM:

@Al—Thank you. I did style every rower I photographed in their own clothes—from pinning blazers to tying ties to popping collars to nipping and tucking.

Al left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 4:12 PM:

@FEC-

Great photos! It looks like you’ve put some serious work into them. Just out of curiosity, did you style the rowers’ outfits as well, or just photograph them in their own choices of attire?

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 1:37 PM:

@BG—I was at Dartmouth for this shoot about 2 years ago. Emerson Curry did row for Dartmouth before graduating in 2008. Since then, he’s been coaching Dartmouth crew.

@Makaga—It’s possible there will be a book tour. If so, NYC is on the list.

@Fred—We’re still currently talking to several publishing houses.

M Arthur left a comment on 6/6/2013 at 9:51 PM:

The kilts shot is the best!

BG left a comment on 6/6/2013 at 3:58 PM:

Looks like you were up at Dartmouth - when did that happen? Is that a Dartmouth rower?

Joseph left a comment on 6/6/2013 at 3:20 PM:

Congrats on this feature in Quest and you upcoming coffee table book - very exciting!

Makaga left a comment on 6/6/2013 at 11:44 AM:

Very stoked to see this book.  Will you have a book signing in NYC when it comes out?

Fred left a comment on 6/6/2013 at 11:28 AM:

interesting. who’s publishing the book?

• Double Trouble

Dress Code  

Photographed in New York, NY

Noteworthy: hopsack navy blazer (the workhorse blazer of a man's summer wardrobe), gingham/repp stripe shirt/tie pairings.

May 24, 2013 | Permalink (4) View/Leave Comments

Kenneth left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 5:22 PM:

I too like Social Primer.

chb left a comment on 6/7/2013 at 7:25 AM:

I like Social Primer.

JK left a comment on 6/6/2013 at 6:47 PM:

I like th SP reversible bow ties. I think the bow tie naturally has the parity needed for that approach.

cam left a comment on 6/4/2013 at 11:46 AM:

solid

• The Official Preppy Handbook

Music & Books  

There were whispers of a limited gift edition of Lisa Birnbach's original preppy bible. Part satire, part reference guide, The Official Preppy Handbook, when published in 1980 became an instant cult classic. Given the book was published over 30 years ago, I have never actually seen a hardback copy (the few hardback gift editions went quickly). The secondary market proved not much better. After watching eBay for a couple of years for kicks, only a handful of hardback copies popped up cuffed with asking prices of $200+...until last month. Indian madras print slipcover, a linen hardback cover, and a fill-in-chart family tree make up this “completely outstanding gift edition.” While the demand has cooled in the wake of True Prep, landing a copy (for $50, no less) still made for a fun story over drinks with Birnbach last week.

May 22, 2013 | Permalink (9) View/Leave Comments

Derek left a comment on 9/28/2013 at 1:47 PM:

Still have my ratty old paperback version of the original. Have to say, I thought True Prep was very, very disappointing.  She omitted/ignored pretty much any reference to southern prepdom (a healthy part of the first book).  I think it should have included color photos, seeing how it was an update from 30 years ago. The first book was over-the-top WASP-y, the second a little too self-consciously PC.  I shelved it pretty quickly.

On another note, I used to have a Ralph Lauren windbreaker/Baracuta jacket with the exact same madras pattern as the book cover…which I sadly can’t fit into anymore.  Been looking for a replacement for years.  SO hard to find good madras these days.

Angela left a comment on 6/11/2013 at 2:50 PM:

I got my hardcover copy at Amazon (sans dust jacket).  I don’t remember exactly how much I paid for it, but it was reasonable, and it’s in good shape.  Now I can mark up my ratty paperback copy. :)

Cedric left a comment on 6/9/2013 at 10:00 PM:

Pretty content with my paperback copy aswell, though I do wish I had a hardcover. haha, good stuff FEC!

Casey left a comment on 6/5/2013 at 3:32 PM:

I’m happy with my paperback copies but, oh, how I would love that family tree to give to my husband as a gag gift.

Thomas left a comment on 6/4/2013 at 10:35 AM:

I picked up a hardback gift edition with the madras sleeve on ebay a couple years ago for around $20. It is in excellent condition but no gift sticker on the outside sleeve. Had no idea they were going for so much. Thanks

BMOC left a comment on 6/4/2013 at 10:20 AM:

Have one in better than mint condition. Never even been opened. In the gift box and everything. I am shocked to know what it is worth. Thankfully I probably have at least 3 other well-worn paperback versions around the house.

F.E. Castleberry left a comment on 6/4/2013 at 6:58 AM:

@PSP—This gift edition with slipcover isn’t available on Amazon. Not to mention none of the Amazon listings (which quickly escalate to $150+) have any pictures of the hardback copies for sale.

PSP left a comment on 6/3/2013 at 6:56 PM:

Try Amazon for $50 for this addition.  I like it much better than True Prep.  It was more optimistic.  FEC still interested in your advice for Nantucket on July 4th?

Valerie left a comment on 6/3/2013 at 2:27 PM:

Ten years ago, I bought mine from Ebay at $70 (which was too much). I can’t believe it’s up to $200 now. Yikes! Glad you scored on for $50.

• Older Posts